SkyscraperCity banner

9661 - 9680 of 18561 Posts

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
18,788 Posts
I think it'll be one of the worst, but the size of the place and the number of extra fans they can get in there means West Ham's revenues should increase and so should the performance on the pitch. That was always the compromise.

It'll never be a magnicent or world class football stadium. It could be exactly what West Ham needs at this stage in the club's development. I think that will be the honest assessment at the end of the day.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think it'll be one of the worst, but the size of the place and the number of extra fans they can get in there means West Ham's revenues should increase and so should the performance on the pitch. That was always the compromise.

It'll never be a magnicent or world class football stadium. It could be exactly what West Ham needs at this stage in the club's development. I think that will be the honest assessment at the end of the day.
It might not be how you would design it if starting from scratch but it is what it is, and I think most West Ham supporters will approach it on that basis and give it a chance. I've been there twice for the athletics and it is a special place. Yes, you would like the seats to be closer but the views are fantastic. It can also be very noisy. I'm looking forward to us being there.

It is clear that a number of people, including some West Ham supporters, want it to fail, but I think they're going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
18,788 Posts
It might not be how you would design it if starting from scratch but it is what it is, and I think most West Ham supporters will approach it on that basis and give it a chance. I've been there twice for the athletics and it is a special place. Yes, you would like the seats to be closer but the views are fantastic. It can also be very noisy. I'm looking forward to us being there.

It is clear that a number of people, including some West Ham supporters, want it to fail, but I think they're going to be disappointed.
I don't think it'll fail either - and I've also been there for athletics so know that it's perhaps more intimate than it comes across in photos. And you're right West Ham fans will have to go in there with realistic expectations and if they do and accept it for what it is it should be a success.

BUT it isn't a World class or a magnificent football venue and I don't think it ever could be. I don't need to wait for the contractors to finsih their jobs to say that. Modern football stadiums obviously aren't designed this way, so as far as new football venues go it will be one of the worst. I don't think that's controversial.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I noticed on TV that the first couple of rows had almost no one in them. I wonder if that was because the they gave a poor view by getting too low down? Quite possible because it wouldn't be such a problem for athletics which was all it was originally designed for.

·
Registered
441 Posts
After seeing these pictures from yesterday I've changed my mind about it a little.
The atmosphere in the lower bowl could be superb, the upper areas of most grounds don't sing as much anyway.
It is also totally unique, not just another boring Emirates clone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was impressed on TV how much the lower bowl was joined up, I expected it to be far more bitty and fragmented. They have done a good job there.

I didn't like so much just how curved the lower side tiers were, making the extra distance from the pitch in the centre more obvious. Be nice if they could do something about that but I suspect it's an inevitable consequence of not being designed with football in mind from the off.

Possibly that will look better when there is artificial grass over all of the track but I don't think so, it just looks a bit odd. One of the clearest examples of the compromises that have to be accepted.

·
Registered
240 Posts
One area I would welcome some reassurance on is external crowd control especially after the game. Basically, how long is it going to take to get to a tube platform from your seat in the stadium?

At the Olympics they did a pretty good job but it still took a while. But there were 200,000 people exiting the park at that time. It was OK but they had special Olympic measures in place, everyone was in a good humour (I treasure the memory of a line of police officers adopting the lightning bolt stance) and the weather was nice.

At the Anniversary Games a year later there was a far smaller number of people (similar to what West Ham games will be?) but it took over an hour via a circuitous route. Admittedly the whole park was a building site undergoing post-Games conversion, but it seems it may have been a similar experience for those who went yesterday.

Have any promises been made for what we can expect a year from now?

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Some pics from yesterday, please resize if too large. My view from top of block 109 in the disabled seats (thanks to my cruciate op).

(comical sprinklers coming on at 3:30)

The view from row 7 block 111 as requested by someone. As far as the lower tier is concerned, the higher up you are the better the view IMO.

The view from the very edge of the west stand, next to where the away support will be . I assume this will be a band 3 view (c£700 season ticket). I'd personally be more than happy with that.

·
Registered
707 Posts
After seeing these pictures from yesterday I've changed my mind about it a little.
The atmosphere in the lower bowl could be superb, the upper areas of most grounds don't sing as much anyway.
It is also totally unique, not just another boring Emirates clone.
While I agree, I don't think anyone can draw a true conclusion about any stadium without actually going there. What I did get from yesterday is that the atmosphere with a passionate West Ham crowd could be great. Although the seating behind goals and west stand lower has more or less been finalised, there is still a lot to be done before we have the completed and final version of the east stand (I'm not going to call it a kop!) Is it a traditional football stadium? Is it comprise? Yes, on both counts but a very good comprise. I've watched a Milan derby at the San Siro in the middle of the lower tier and didn't feel worse of yesterday.

To my mind the main problems now lay outside the stadium bowl. My experience yesterday with the catering was ok, but things like not having all the prices displayed, short supply, staff still bedding in and still not all kiosks open, they all need to be addressed. The 'shortage of beer' story was not surprising as the rugby crowd seemed to think nothing of leaving the game to get a beer. Not something that happens much at football, but perhaps reflects the stop start nature of rugby.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I think West Ham may struggle to adjust to this setting more than some other clubs would. The Boleyn Ground is historically known for having an intimate and sometimes hostile atmosphere and this looks like it offers the total opposite.
Id agree with you if you were talking about the Boleyn pre 92 when the players taking a corner just had to boot it, as there was about two feet from the edge of the pitch to the stand. Not in its current form, and I wont miss that. I miss what once was.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
I don't think it'll fail either - and I've also been there for athletics so know that it's perhaps more intimate than it comes across in photos. And you're right West Ham fans will have to go in there with realistic expectations and if they do and accept it for what it is it should be a success.

BUT it isn't a World class or a magnificent football venue and I don't think it ever could be. I don't need to wait for the contractors to finsih their jobs to say that. Modern football stadiums obviously aren't designed this way, so as far as new football venues go it will be one of the worst. I don't think that's controversial.
I don't think anyone's saying it will be a magnificent football venue, quite clearly it won't be. But I will not be judging it on its football credentials without it even hosting a match simply by saying it's the worst. Besides it doesn't bother me too much, it is the best compromise and my main interest in the Stadium is the fact (as a non West ham fan) that it will still be a national stadium. As an athletics fan I am glad that we still get to see it being utilised especially since it was paid for by the tax payer. I am a football fan also but I am more then happy for football to be played here to allow us to still have our national stadium for other events. We all helped pay for it so why shouldn't we have a stadium which doesn't always feel like it's for football or for West Ham only. We've already had athletics and rugby hosted here in the last 2 months.

I can see however that once complete with the gaps sorted (as best as possible) the atmosphere for football will be good in this stadium. It can get very loud in there and I'm sure the passionate West Ham support will bring it to life. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's just the view frothed Steve Bull stand at Molineux that is miles from the pitch and was built with the centre being furthest from the pitch.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
Post #9680, which you gave a 'like' to ;) ;)
It's a magnificent athletics venue and a great venue in general IMO. :yes:

Not a magnificent football stadium, well not yet anyway. ;)

But yeah it will never be perfect for football but like I said that part doesn't bother me much.

9661 - 9680 of 18561 Posts