Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Es mejor en el campo
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, Hampstead.

I stumbled upon this photo on Hampstead's Wikipedia page. I think it is possibly the most moving and evocative urban scene I've ever seen. It's all there: gorgeous buildings, a curvy road inviting you to walk further, a slight incline, loads of pedestrians, and sunny skies. That last item might not be a consistent one in the UK. Still, I simply cannot fathom of an urban shot that is more evocative. Does one exist?

Another realization that struck me was that the gridded street system so prevalent in North America can never produce streetscapes as beautiful or interesting as this. Furthermore, the three to four story buildings are more human-scaled, letting in more of the sky, which is something I find more inviting than, say, classic Parisian streetscapes or loads of skyscrapers.

·
Sent from down-below. :P
1,207 Posts
What is 'human scale' anyway?...that one doesn't need to use elevators?

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
Hampstead is very nice - in fact that picture just doesn't do it justice.

But, its hardly out of the ordinary for the UK - go to any high street or town centre and you will find a similar street scene.

And don't get me started on the Sunny Skies issue......London gets more sunny days and less rainy days than most other major cities in Europe (the facts are out there) ;):)

·
Registered
205 Posts
The only thing missing from this scene is some trees, shrubs, flowers, or a bit of nature to soften the edges a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hampstead is very nice - in fact that picture just doesn't do it justice.

But, its hardly out of the ordinary for the UK - go to any high street or town centre and you will find a similar street scene.

And don't get me started on the Sunny Skies issue......London gets more sunny days and less rainy days than most other major cities in Europe (the facts are out there) ;):)
I'm not questioning you on that, but where can I find these statistics? Are there any webpages you can refere to? I'm interested in finding out how many sunny days different cities have.

I've always had the impression that London have quite few sunny days compared to other European cities. And I've always had the impression that New York have many sunny days. Maybe this impression is wrong?

Edit: Ok i found statistics on the bbc weather site.

·
Weaste Infection
701 Posts
outstanding picture but i agree with NothingBetterToDo...this type of scene can be found in many areas of London and the other big cities and also lots of smaller English villages as well...

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
Heres some more pictures of London Suburbs that provide attractive urban settings...(not the best pics - all i could find on flickr)

Hampstead High Street (see there are trees ;) )

Crouch End...

Muswell Hill (Just up the hill from Crouch end...very similar)

Wood Green (lol - not famed for it outstanding urban design....but its where i live :D)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts