SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I’ve been lurking around for a while and thought it was about tine that I contributed a bit.

So here goes.

Apart from the cinema and TJ Hughes I very rarely go to London Road..

And this got me thinking that with Odeon announcing that they will be opening a new cinema as part of the paradise street project, what will happen to the old site surely there is no need for the 2 sites in the city centre.

Also could it be possible for TJ's to take over the John Lewis site when that becomes available.

This could then be a very good opportunity to restructure the London Road area.

Here are a few quick thoughts on what could be developed there..

1. A purpose built market

2. A tree lined avenue with small furniture and home improvement shops leading upto the site of the old hitchens store where maybe liverpools own Big wheel could sit.

3. Or on the same site maybe a tower with public plaza and outdoor seating.

That do you think?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
London Rd is a fascinating area. one time Liverpool's garment district and the heart of a huge population. I would love to see this area fulfill it's potential to downtown's wider revival... and it may at last be allowed to.

there are major plans for the area behind TJ's, the art deco Co-Op over to islington that we should all do what we can to see it is as intensively developed as possible.

Many buildings that have lain empty for decades are being restored and there are new schemes as well.. not least the expansion of the internationally significant School of Tropical medicine.

I like your ideas, though the 'theming' of the type of commerce that should go therre should be avoided, the development company in charge of that district tried that in the 90s'.... and it failed, they are also responsible for lots of the tat up there, like the student accommodation opposite TJs'.

Nice thread though... good idea.

Welcome to SSC

·
3,333 Posts
London Road is crying out for redevelopment and the market is a great idea, and I've mentioned before the old Co-Op building might be the place that Quiggins are looking for.

Just one thing missing, it needs the trams! they would be the key ingredient that would bring London Rd. back onto peoples radar when in town.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i would love to see both the heritage and st johns market moved into this area would i wouldnt move tjs anywhere though.. i think its the only thing that has kept this part of town alive and deserves to be part of any changes made to the area

·
Registered
198 Posts
my other half used to work in Prescott street's Starbucks so I'm well aquainted with Londn Road. I think, while there's always students and the hospital it will always be a busy place. It is a perfect area for independant shops - something a little more 'studenty' - record shops, second hand book shops that kind of thing. I see places like that sort of starting up on Stafford street but it's an area needs encoruagment.

I do remember reading that there are plans to do a lot of work to the Islington area, just can't remember where I saw that.

·
Just something
8,884 Posts
Wormella said:
my other half used to work in Prescott street's Starbucks so I'm well aquainted with Londn Road. I think, while there's always students and the hospital it will always be a busy place. It is a perfect area for independant shops - something a little more 'studenty' - record shops, second hand book shops that kind of thing. I see places like that sort of starting up on Stafford street but it's an area needs encoruagment.

I do remember reading that there are plans to do a lot of work to the Islington area, just can't remember where I saw that.
I`m pretty sure it was an article in the `Echo` Wormella.

Something like £100m if I remember correctly - also Liverpool Vision did have a large amount of information on it`s walls but the last time I was in their two weeks ago it had been taken town.

In fact only the model of `Lime Street Gateway` was still there.

Very disappointing as it was `Down Town` week, even the KD`s model had gone awol and the interactive audio visual displays weren`t working either as their was no internet link.

Overall a very poor advert for `Liverpool Vision` on that occasion.

Nevertheless the `London Road` area is coming on leaps and bounds and it is excellent news the `Royal Liverpool Teaching Hospital` is staying put.

Once a few more developments kick in plus the `Islington` redevelopments then maybe that end of town will start to reconnect with the rest of the inner city that was hacked away so shamelessly in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Karaoke in The Dart (behind the Co-op warehouse) is one of Liverpool's finest under-rated cultural experiences. Blimey, what a hole. What a place.

TJs is fantastic, and Stafford Street is good too, although not as lively as I remember it as a boy in the 80s. There is a cracking cafe there.

These streets were home to Liverpool's first major wave of Jewish immigrants - I hope any redevelopment can reflect this.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Wow - the search function actually works!

Been taking a few snaps down London Road recently, a lot of development going on, here's a few snipits.

Still some work to be done in a number of places

But things are looking up - gonna be a great view when the school of tropical medicine is finished!

·
Keltlandia
8,877 Posts
Excellent shots, Tom. London Road has been pretty dire for a long time but it has real potential to be a lively area of downtown. It's unpleasant walking around there after dark at the moment, with all the drunks and addicts but with a bit more developement, in the form of appartments, bars and retail, it should improve considerably.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
I know what you mean Gareth, the clientel leaves something to be desired, but this should, in theory, be a thriving, lively student-populated area of the city - especially when you consider the proximity of the University's and a fair number of student halls.

Anyway, that West tower gets everywhere, view from the top of London Road

·
Registered
586 Posts
On the virgin train coming into lime street from london euston you can see the 2 cathedrals, st johns tower and beetham! Noticed it b4 on the way back from london

·
Registered
936 Posts
London road is to become a major residential area.....student and private accomodation, from 5-8 storey buildings primarily. There is to be environmental works and the introduction of multistorey parking to the area to increase density. The area to the rear of TJ's stretching from MIDLANDS former bank building (now a John Moores property) and then running straight along insligton to the Royal Hospital is to be redeveloped under a masterplan which is in planning at the moment.

There is already the beginnings of this strategy for London Road under construction/complete at the moment. With the rebuilt Hospital, and, hopefully and restructure of the islington Road route layout, it may be possible for this area to expand and become a useful piece of the jigsaw in sewing the everton/scotland road/Kensington areas back onto the city.....something which is in dire need and is hindering the areas recovery! :bash:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I like the way the new atrium building mirrors the co-op building on the other side. I can't believe that the co-op building is just student bed sits though, very cheap and tacky. I think the problem with Lonodn Rd is basically the Alliance Pharmacy, which dispenses hundreds and hundreds of methadone prescriptions for the 'smack heads' that hang round in the area.

The school of tropical medicine and more students and proffesionals moving should give the area a boost however.

What is the building in scaffolding, with the extension going to be??

·
Keltlandia
8,877 Posts
I think the problem with Lonodn Rd is basically the Alliance Pharmacy, which dispenses hundreds and hundreds of methadone prescriptions for the 'smack heads' that hang round in the area.
Indeed. It's an attraction for agressive beggars/muggers and the likes. The Royal doesn't help in that respect either, as I've seen a few loonies wandering the area in NHS bed clothes.

·
Just something
8,884 Posts
Maybe the question is why you hang around `London Road` Gareth.....:lol:

If you watch `Hollyoaks - In the City`, Channel 4, Series 1 and E4+1 for Series 2, you`ll find a much better class of Scally.....

Some very interesting scenes shot around the City and it`s obvious that they are playing up a revitalised downtown etc.

`Trauma` (BBC1) is currently based in Liverpool and the `Liverpool Royal`.....

1 - 20 of 791 Posts