SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 791 Posts

·
Fiat Lux
7,598 Posts
London Road has come a long way in 3 - 4 years. The bottom end just needs smartening up, good infill, and something fantastic done with the Odeon building. Longer term, I have high hopes for the area between Lord Nelson Street and Islington and all the way up to Moss Street.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Anyone know what this development is? Just to the left of the Tool Hire centre on the junction with London Road and Seymour Street (although it's actually on St Vincent Street.
Its an extension of the adjacent building further down Bridport Street, known as Bridpoint. Basement car park, ground floor offices and apartments above. Don't hold your breath for this one to be finished, the first bit took forever.

·
Design Journal/
399 Posts
London Road has come a long way in 3 - 4 years. The bottom end just needs smartening up, good infill, and something fantastic done with the Odeon building. Longer term, I have high hopes for the area between Lord Nelson Street and Islington and all the way up to Moss Street.
im having a play with London road for the design journal, definetly could do with smartening up from the new tesco through to commutation row. Some massing and density would not go a miss.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've always wondered why a big hotel company hasn't taken an interest in London Rd.

There's plenty of run down buildings at the bottom end that could be redeveloped and you'd have the theatre, St Georges Hall, the museum, Walker art gallery & Lime St station all within a stones throw.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
I've always wondered why a big hotel company hasn't taken an interest in London Rd.

There's plenty of run down buildings at the bottom end that could be redeveloped and you'd have the theatre, St Georges Hall, the museum, Walker art gallery & Lime St station all within a stones throw.
I agree that there is massive potential in London Road, but there is also a huge social problem and perception issue too. I think many developers have their eye on the area, but everyone seems to be waiting for someone else to bite the bullet and take a gamble. Once that initial investment comes I think the place will take off. The arrival of the new Tesco could be the spark that is needed, time will tell - I just hope it happens sooner rather than later for the sake of the area and the people who live there and use it.

·
Fiat Lux
7,598 Posts
Thanks Howie for providing an update on the building shown in the first post on this thread - slow but steady progress.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Cheers Howie. The building next to it is actually one of my favorite new builds in the area. It's small and unasuming but is well proportioned, has some nice high class finishing touches and is a great example of how to do a small scale development without resorting to evil red bricks. Looking forward to seeing the sister building finished, which looks to be slightly taller.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
London Road has come a long way in 3 - 4 years. The bottom end just needs smartening up.
Agreed, especially as it is in the vicinity of both the coach and rail stations where people arrive in the city.

The Maharaja is worth a visit though.

And there are other sights you should see in the London Road area. :cheers:

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Nice photos Howie, totally agree about the Maharaja, wonderful restaurant and unique to the city. Their lunch time set menu is fantastic, a great way to impress visitors to the city (as long as you blindfold them when walking up London Road!). Never been in Durty Nelly's... perhaps I should (for purely cultural reasons of course...)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
There is another South Indian restaurant in Liverpool now - the Akshaya in Kensington.

I remember when the Maharaja first opened the slogan on its website was 'the only good reason to visit London Rd. after dark'. :)

·
Fiat Lux
7,598 Posts
I can remember how good the food tasted after the Maharaja first opened and for perhaps the first two years - especially the starters and the rice and the bread and ...

I don't think it's as good as it used to be but it's still my favourite Indian restaurant in town.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cheers Howie. The building next to it is actually one of my favorite new builds in the area. It's small and unasuming but is well proportioned, has some nice high class finishing touches and is a great example of how to do a small scale development without resorting to evil red bricks. Looking forward to seeing the sister building finished, which looks to be slightly taller.
The building under construction isn't a sister to the one of the left, known as Alina House. Its a sister to the one behind it, further down Bridport Street, known as Bridpoint. I'm afraid that one is red brick and can only assume that the new one will be also.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
This building is nearly complete, apparently it's serviced appartments - which is a great idea. We often have to host guests at the University and tend to put them in the Liner (unless they're really important!) because it's relatively close to the Uni - having the option of reasonably priced serviced appartments in the area is a good addition.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Christ sakes Tom, do you want your guests to think that Liverpool is a complete shitheap?
:lol: Show em the worst first, that's what I always say. Let 'em see the real Liverpool, before they get sucked away on a yellow amphibian bus into a fantasy world were everyone hums Beatles tunes and looks like they're from 1968..

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
I know it's a reaction to changes in the market, but the proliferation of serviced apartments will potentially undermine any residential recovery if we arent careful.

I for one will would never buy or rent a flat in a building or even near a building that had them.

They are like hotels without the staff to enforce quiet at night.

Still, I'm safe in suburbia, although currently with no roof!

61 - 80 of 791 Posts