SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 791 Posts

·
European Champion
442 Posts
:lol: Show em the worst first, that's what I always say. Let 'em see the real Liverpool, before they get sucked away on a yellow amphibian bus into a fantasy world were everyone hums Beatles tunes and looks like they're from 1968..
The real Liverpoool is better than the fantasy world :cheers:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
London Road

Relocated from Lime Street - HENRY BOHN BOOKS

Recently Opened - KITTED-OUT

Coming Soon - POUND SHOP PLUS

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The block where the pound shop is going is attrocious and well past its sell by date. Are those little seaside type sheds still up there too? There's not much left on that side worth keeping now. Lord warden and.........?

Connecting with Everton would be greater if Everton still existed as a residential area.....It's an absolute ghost town nowadays.... might mean burying parts of Islington too. Always thought Islington was prime for major development being so well connected right through to the waterfront with all the North and north eastern corridors coming off it, and the only cross town routes too. It's a complete blank canvas. Maybe that's the problem, everyone's too scared to make the first brush stroke. :)

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
You don't have to bury part of Islington, just turn it into a nice boulevard. I agree about Everton.. a planners crime if ever the was one!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
You don't have to bury part of Islington, just turn it into a nice boulevard. I agree about Everton.. a planners crime if ever the was one!
Always thought Islington gave the opportunity to really beef up the whole London Rd area offer by adding depth and getting away from that edge-of-town feel, as it did years ago. Unfortunately ring roads can form terrible barriers hence my mention of burying it partially if only to preserve its current capacity but also to help re-establish crossing roads. Of course if this was lined with medium size developments to replicate the original dense blocks it would become more than just the current deserted thru' route...... it could also help facilitate the proper and higher quality redevelopment of Everton.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
The thing that surprises me about London Road is that over the last decade or so, several developments and major refurbishments have taken in the immediate vicinity. However, but for the couple buildings at the Norton Street/London Road junction, very little of significance has taken place on London Road itself. Like Tom suggests about Islington, perhaps people are scared of being the one to go first on London Road too?

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
From the Planning Explorer -

Application Number - 09O/2623
Site Address - 33 Devon Street Liverpool L3 8HA
Proposal - To erect part six, part eight storey building to comprise commercial units at ground level ( Use class A1) and 48 student flats (166 bedrooms) following demolition of existing building
Applicant - AMA (NW) Developments Co Ltd

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Always thought Islington gave the opportunity to really beef up the whole London Rd area offer by adding depth and getting away from that edge-of-town feel, as it did years ago. Unfortunately ring roads can form terrible barriers hence my mention of burying it partially if only to preserve its current capacity but also to help re-establish crossing roads. Of course if this was lined with medium size developments to replicate the original dense blocks it would become more than just the current deserted thru' route...... it could also help facilitate the proper and higher quality redevelopment of Everton.
abslotely. It is the 'feel' of the place as much as the actual road. The green buffer zones, the closed off streets that used to cross the district, the security fences and industrial shed that make it look like some shithole industrial estate on the edge of the city rather than a vibrant, high density downtown district.

Have none of our planners ever been to Paris?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Indeed. They could start by building from Islington Square downwards (from Kelly's furniture down parallel to Carver St). Just grassed over rubble there at the moment, though don't know whether the land either side of the carriageways is subject to any long-term council transport plans.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts

Application Number - 09F/2640
Site Address - Land at the junction off Seymour Street and St Vincent Street Liverpool L3
Proposal - To erect a 4, 5 & 7 storey development comprising bedrooms in 46 no self contained units of accommodation on upper floors and A1, A3 and B1 units at ground floor level with 5 no. car parking spaces, cycle spaces and storage at basement level
Applicant - Edward Simmons LLP AS LPA Recievers

As I understand it, this application relates to the triangular site shown here - http://www.multimap.com/s/DGrFWcNC - bounded by Seymour Street, St Vincent Street, and Lord Nelson Street. At up to 7 storeys tall, it should make quite an impact on the immediate area.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Application Number - 09F/2640
Site Address - Land at the junction off Seymour Street and St Vincent Street Liverpool L3
Proposal - To erect a 4, 5 & 7 storey development comprising bedrooms in 46 no self contained units of accommodation on upper floors and A1, A3 and B1 units at ground floor level with 5 no. car parking spaces, cycle spaces and storage at basement level
Applicant - Edward Simmons LLP AS LPA Recievers

As I understand it, this application relates to the triangular site shown here - http://www.multimap.com/s/DGrFWcNC - bounded by Seymour Street, St Vincent Street, and Lord Nelson Street. At up to 7 storeys tall, it should make quite an impact on the immediate area.
This is an alternative to the scheme approved in 2006 which is now in receivership. New application is for student halls.

·
Fiat Lux
7,598 Posts
^^ Sadly, it also demonstrates the sheep like mentality of developers. Having gone through a craze for one bedroom rabbit hutch flats they are now caught up in a craze to build student accommodation here there and everywhere. This approach (chasing the short term buck) doesn't provide the groundwork for a sustainable city. Although, having said that it certainly a lot better than building any more low density housing developments.

·
Just something
8,066 Posts
More shops.....and places to eat must mean extra trade?

I was in Liverpool a few weeks ago and ended up walking around London Road a couple of times.

I was pleasently surprised to see a number of new (corner) shops etc selling a variety of foods that might give China Town a run for its money in a year or two. New resturants on upper floors if you look up. In the way that Liverpool used to have upstairs and basement resturants (Kong Nam - Lord Street and others.)(Samson and Barlows - London Road, which became a fairly good french eatery.....prior to the bull dozer.)

With the unabated demolition of the area(s) lots of smaller places have vanished off the map and despite the fact that not everyone is keen on new developments having shop units within the mix, I can see evidence of the new investments bringing new street life to these run down areas as not everyone is going to shop at L1.

London Road and its surrounds will grow further with its population rise and slowly increased density.

The further and faster it rejoins Islington etc the better.

The wholesale plans for the rejuvination of the Islington area (Liverpool Vision) seem to have been quietly withdrawn and were previously on display in the `Observatory` which was Liverpool Visions shop window......

If the revitalisation of the "North of the city" is critical to the future of the city as recently stated, the plan to rejuvinate Islington would certainly be a step in the right direction.

London Road is slowly rebuilding a community base with its mix of shops. The sort that every diverse city needs and which Liverpool used to have in abundance. :cheers:

PS: All hail to Wetherspoons planning to create 10.000 jobs and open a further 250 pubs nationwide.

Which shows it can be done!

As for the chains that only use public houses as assets and screw their tennants and close to sell.....expletives :bash:

·
Just something
8,066 Posts
More shops.....and places to eat must mean extra trade?

I was in Liverpool a few weeks ago and ended up walking around London Road a couple of times.

I was pleasently surprised to see a number of new (corner) shops selling a variety of foods that might give China Town a run for its money in a year or two. New resturaunts on upper floors if you look up. In the way that Liverpool used to have upstairs and basement resturants (Kong Nam - Lord Street and others.)(Samson and Barlows - London Road, which became a fairly good french eatery.....)

With the unabated demolition of the area(s) lots of smaller places have vanished off the map and despite the fact that not everyone is keen on new developments having shop units within the mix, I can see evidence of the new investments bringing new street life to these run down areas as not everyone is going to shop at L1.

London Road and its surrounds will grow further with its population rise and slowly increased density.

The further and faster it rejoins Islington etc the better.

The wholesale plans for the rejuvination of the Islington area (Liverpool Vision) seem to have been quietly withdrawn and were previously on display in the `Observatory` which was Liverpool Visions shop window......

If the revitalisation of the "North of the city" is critical to the future of the city as recently stated, the plan to rejuvinate Islington would certainly be a step in the right direction.

London Road is slowly rebuilding a community base with its mix of shops. The sort that every diverse city needs and which Liverpool used to have in abundance. :cheers:

PS: All hail to Wetherspoons planning to create 10.000 jobs and open a further 250 pubs nationwide.

Which shows it can be done!

As for the chains that only use public houses as assets and screw their tennants and close to sell.....expletives :bash:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I ended up talking about London Road to someone who hadn't visited Liverpool since the mid 80's and he was surprised when I showed him some recent pictures. I've noticed a certain reaction from people "down south" when I mention how much Liverpool has changed for the better(in most parts , not all). I might pretend to be from somewhere else this week though as i'm always asked questions which is nice in a way but I sometimes feel like a city ambassador.

81 - 100 of 791 Posts