SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
It should all be the same height as the tower.

Three stories in this location, surrounded by taller buildings (behind and on London Road), will look pathetic. May as well just build some more cul-de-sacs and little semi's.

Plus, Seymour Street needs higher quality architecture. This would be OK on London Road but Seymour St has some character to protect.

It's lucky there's a next to zero chance of it getting built.

·
Registered
13,880 Posts
Yes, it was evidently past its best as a business (and I'll admit I didn't ever go into the place when I've been in most pubs in town over the years). However, the building had something. It would have been better if its licence had been removed and a new ownership taken over. Horrible word, but something of the "gastropub" treatment could have helped.
cripes. no idea why caps lock activated on the word THERE. i wasnt reinfocing my point or anything...

·
Registered
13,880 Posts

Three stories in this location, surrounded by taller buildings (behind and on London Road), will look pathetic. May as well just build some more cul-de-sacs and little semi's.

Plus, Seymour Street needs higher quality architecture. This would be OK on London Road but Seymour St has some character to protect.

It certainly isn't world beating, but not as bad as I'd first thought. I'll have to look and see how much commercial space is in it before deciding.

Had a gander today and noticed the wraps coming off the building that Tom likes the look of.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I do like the triangular tower element; the way it will loom up over you as you approach. It'll also bring more people into that area - that crossroads will develop into a good little hub.
I agree. The main disadvantage from my point of view is that these are student flats - the floor layoiut is dientical to the place my wife lived in in Haigh Street (off Shaw St). Of course, the market is dictating this, as the London Rd area has a proliferation of them, so can we really argue with how the developer is making their money. However, I wish this site could have been used for residential flats.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That was an evil place. I remember as a student getting caught up in a massive kick off THERE. All the local "gangsters" used to meet there and do coke off the tables. The landlord couldnt do anything about it as they used to threaten him with violence if he dared call the fuzz or try to chuck em out.

One day he did try to get some guy out and they all went at him with bats.

Nasty. Glad it's closed.
Had some immense afternoons in there. The revolving door, the very well upholstered seats, the ridiculously cheap booze, and most of all - the juke box was free (unintentionally, I think). Glad to say I never saw any scraps in there, but you did hear about things that went on.
The last time I was in there was for some ale after Everton played Villa on the opening day of the 98-99 season. When we got into the pub everybody was clustered around the telly - it was the day of the Omagh bombing, and it was the first we knew about it.

·
Registered
13,880 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
opal are certainly one of the better private halls operators. those unite halls are awful, just like giant overpriced prison blocks and always have a bit of a smell about them. opal always seem to be more like normal apartment blocks. these will certainly have a fair market, being close to bot of jmu's central campuses, pretty close to hope in everton and liverpool uni. will also add to the vibrancy of london road and hopefully encourage more rebuilding and businesses to open up

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts

I'm not sure I agree about the height fo the rest of the building, partly because of the terraces which face it on the opposite side of the Seymour Street. Now I'm never normally one to want to sacrifice a bit of height to stay 'in keeping' - but in this case I feel that the proposed height of the rest of the building would create a nice symetry with the Georgian terraces opposite, and whilst, doing nothing to match them in design or quality, it will at least prevent a relatively bland building from overwhelming the streetscape.

The shape and height of the tower is appropriate for that junction though and in my opinion saves the building. I think, on ballance, for a student resident development this is of a pretty high standard. You only have to look at some of the lego brick boxes which have been built around the area to know that.

The tower reminds me (everso slightly) of this classic

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
As it happens, this development goes before the Planning Committee next Tuesday, with the Planning Manager recommending it be approved subject to a legal agreement.

The Planning Manager's report can be found here (requires .pdf)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The tower part has been bolted on in order to make an otherwise hideous rectangular block into something that appears vaguely interesting. OK, this happens a lot, but in this case it shouldn't be allowed to deceive.

For one, it is not the London Road corner that needs protecting it is Seymour St. And Seymour St will be fronted by a 3/4 story 30m? long slab of modern red brick cladding.

For two, the 'corner' tower is not on a corner, it is at the end of a traffic island slightly behind the line of buildings on London Road.

For three, the new buildings behind it are actually surprisingly OK and the present layout with grass and a near traffic-free road in front of them looks alright. Leave it alone!

Also, I was walking down there at the weekend and couldn't help but think that this proposal has echoes of the tool hire building that sits genuinely on the corner. 3 story red brick slab, 'enhanced' by corner raised element. Spooky it is.

·
Keltlandia
8,878 Posts
I honestly don't agree. Seymour Street is hardly the 8th wonder of the world. Okay, the terraces on the eastern side are nice, but honestly, I think wasteland on the other side is much more detrimental than a bland but largely unoffensive block which may actually add something to the area in terms of activity; something the Islington district sorely needs.

The height is appropriate. Nothing in that part of town should be under 6 or so storeys in height. The triangular tower will add something to the junction with London Road and make you feel like you're actually in the centre of the city. Grassy wastelands bordering lifeless sidestreets does nothing for an area.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree too, and we need to build up Seymour Street to connect to Brownlow Hill and Rodney Street, currently there is just 1 Georgian terrace on Seymour Street, the rest is being just the ugly backs of suburban houses and Lime Street Station. We need a fully connected city like we used to have, not Islington as an island only connected to the city centre at St. Georges Plaza.

I agree the building is naff and pretty ugly, but I would be perfectly happy if they built them along the length of Seymour Street and joined right up to Rodney Street, would be much better than before, pulling tons more footfall to the London Road area, improving our city centre immensely...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Absolutely. It's arguable whether anything could be built to match up to the Georgian terraces opposite. This isn't a great location - London Road, even if it were less shabby, is still a main route into the city; you've got Lime Street and the sorting office right behind, and Seymour Street itself is a pretty major cut through. The terrace is actually a misnomer in this location. Far better that we infill the vacant plots to introduce life to the area. Weeds and scrubland are far more detrimental to the look of the terraces (and their value).

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Isn't it funny how people change their tone a bit when they see the 3-d stuff as opposed to simple elevations.

Anyone got pics off what was on this corner pre-swan. Was it already a miniature flat-iron with Georgian/Victorian terraces leading off it, similar to Seymour and Lord Nelson Street.

I agree that this will beef up this junction nicely, add some much needed massing and continuity. Nothing worse than under utilised space in town and barren scrub land alongside a major road sends all the wrong messages. Wish the main body and tower both had one more floor to make it a bit more aspirational, but perhaps there are reasons for this.....

·
Registered
13,880 Posts
Considering they are pretty cheap, I do find those quite pleasing.

London Road is getting put together, slowly but surely. True, not all of it is of the highest architectural quality, but some schemes (like the Moss St flats) are actually coming together much better than I forsaw.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Yes, they do look cheap - like glitzed-up portacabins. Still, they are the right height so that's something.
Have you seen them up close Babs? I walk past them every day and I don't think they look cheap at all 'in the flesh'.

Certainly the building on the left is finished to an excellent standard with a very attractive slate facia around the entrance. In another area of town we'd rave about it. The new serviced appartments won't win design awards, but they're well built, appropriately massed and enhance the area significantly. The only drawback is that they didn't continue the nice cream cladding all the way back and opted for red brick in the latter half of the building. However I've stayed in a number of inner city serviced appartments and these are some of the smartest I've seen. I especially like the full penthouse suites at the top with proper balconies which must give interesting views out over the East of the city.

121 - 140 of 791 Posts