SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 160 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
You know what? That building has turned out so much better than I thought it would. It's amazing what sensible window arrangements can do.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm nuts about it, but it looks OK. I like the height and mass it adds to the area - something the wider Islington area needs. I also agree with Bugged about the sensible window placement, and the fact that most of the windows are quite large, which is nice to see with so many newer developments going for smaller windows.

I take it this development hit the skids at some point though, as it seems to have been under construction for ages?

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
You know what? That building has turned out so much better than I thought it would. It's amazing what sensible window arrangements can do.
I quite like it as well. I think the reason it works in design terms is because they've gone with a simple but classic symetrical design for both the building and the windows. This is something you rarely see with 'modern' developments, with the obsession being for random (and all too often, tiny) windows and messy asymetric designs.

The comparitively large windows also give it a more 'classic', almost Georgian feel. Ok, I might be over-stating the issue here, but I think it proves the point that cheap developments don't have to look awful as long as they recognise thier limitations and stick to a few basic design principles.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Isn't it funny how people change their tone a bit when they see the 3-d stuff as opposed to simple elevations.

Anyone got pics off what was on this corner pre-swan. Was it already a miniature flat-iron with Georgian/Victorian terraces leading off it, similar to Seymour and Lord Nelson Street.

I agree that this will beef up this junction nicely, add some much needed massing and continuity. Nothing worse than under utilised space in town and barren scrub land alongside a major road sends all the wrong messages. Wish the main body and tower both had one more floor to make it a bit more aspirational, but perhaps there are reasons for this.....
:cheers:

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
Had a letter through today from LCCs planning apartment regarding the 3/5/7 floor student block on Seymour Street that was approved recently.

Apparently the approval has now been revoked due to the developers refusal to enter into a s.106 agreement, as required under the consent.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Had a letter through today from LCCs planning apartment regarding the 3/5/7 floor student block on Seymour Street that was approved recently.

Apparently the approval has now been revoked due to the developers refusal to enter into a s.106 agreement, as required under the consent.
What was unacceptable to them?

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Although it would have been nice to have seen it built, at least the fact that it was passed through planning on its own merits, and didn't fall down on issues such as height and massing etc, has set a precedent for a development of that scale on that site. Should they, or any future developer propose a similar scheme for the site at any point, it should, in theory, now be easier to get the development through planning.

·
Fiat Lux
7,598 Posts
I suspect that the administrators behind this development probably just wanted to turn a buck as quickly and as cheaply as possible. The (quality control) recommendations made by the planning department were probably seen as too constraining :dunno:

I can't recall a developer refusing to enter into a s106 agreement before.

Perhaps (more likely) the administrators received a good offer for the plot and are happy to let someone else develop it. This at least suggests interest in developing the site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The s106 wasn't agreed due to technical reasons to do with the receivership of the site. An offer hasn't been received on the site but its due to go to market soon.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
London Road is getting put together, slowly but surely. True, not all of it is of the highest architectural quality, but some schemes (like the Moss St flats) are actually coming together much better than I forsaw.
There has been a lot of small improvements in London Road with some long abandoned buildings coming back into use.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Anyone noticed all the Asian shops that have sprung up on London Road in recent times? Halal meat et al.

London Road's getting better, though that's from a very, very low base.
Makes sense really. It has always been an immigrant area traditionally; long ago it was Jewish. Just like Brick Lane in London went from being Jewish to Asian, maybe London Road will go the same way. Hope so; great place for restaurants is Brick Lane.

·
Beppo
3,979 Posts
This may sound odd, but personally I'd welcome a mosque in this area if it were architecturally pleasant.

The area adjacent to the coach station would be suitable.

Religious buildings have always given Liverpool character and beauty, a Liverpool central mosque there would be great.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well we did have the first Mosque in the country in Brougham Terrace - late 19th century I think. It would be fantastic if London Road became Liverpool's Brick Lane - especially if they opened a branch of that fantastic 24 hour bagel shop - yum.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Well we did have the first Mosque in the country in Brougham Terrace - late 19th century I think. It would be fantastic if London Road became Liverpool's Brick Lane - especially if they opened a branch of that fantastic 24 hour bagel shop - yum.
A 24 hour anything shop would be a bonus in that area, and in fact any part of the city centre. Although the early/mid evening opening of most shops has greatly improved in the last few years there's still a woeful lack of places to go, other than bars and clubs, after about 10pm. We need more all night coffee houses and ice cream/donught/bagel shops.. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
I see the unit next to Tesco on London Road is being turned into a Costa Coffee.

Not precisely ground breaking but it's filling a vacant unit with a benchmark brand.

·
Scouse For Life!
28 Posts
I have just wrote about my ideas and thoughts on this road inn the retail thread, I think London Road actually has alot of potential IF well planned, it could become many of things my idea was for the road to become an area of INTERNATIONAL CULTURE.

The old Odeon could be refurbished and turned into an ethnic, world market selling things from food to clothing, Liverpool has a great history of different ethnic groups why not celebrate this.

Then maybe we could see different ethnic style restaurants such as Indian, French, Mongolian, etc..

Then maybe a foreign picture house that shows foreign films, I know its very a la fact, but, fact does well enough im sure abit of rivalry will do it no harm.

I mean this just one idea, it could well become a road of entertainment; comedy clubs, literature houses, pubs, new bars and clubs, music venues etc.

As i say alot of potential just a little of investment

141 - 160 of 791 Posts