SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Futurist
38,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is something I've been working on for the last few days, and which hopefully illustrates the sheer scale
of transformation occuring across London.

The pano itself was taken from a block of flats in Forest Hill. It was publicly accessible and I was able to reach
the 7th floor. Every cluster can be seen here - from Battersea to Lambeth, Westminster, Elephant & Castle,
Southwark, The City, right the way through to Greenwich, Canary Wharf and the Docklands.

I used Google Earth to get some of the heights and locations accurate. There are probably some midrises and
smaller towers I've left off, but the important ones are all there. More than 50% of what you see here either
has planning permission, or is undergoing demolition/construction work.

To be honest, it's more like 2015 than 2012... I've included things like the Broadgate Centre expansion,
Bishopsgate Goodsyard, Heron Quays West, Vauxhall Bondway, etc. which are longer term developments.
Anyway, this is the largest rendering I've ever done. Hope you like it. :)

Here's a "before and after" -

·
actual gherkin
13,933 Posts
:cheers: Very impressive... that must have taken you bloody ages! I can imagine foreigners or not-in-the-know public wondering where the centre of London is in that render! London will have at least 2 or 3 world class skylines by 2015

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,249 Posts
That looks great. I hope it works out like that. Some impressive skills there Will.

·
Viking
1,075 Posts
Impressive. We should have a timelapse camera there, taking a new pic every month, see the beauties popping up :)

·
Registered
22,561 Posts
This is excellent and proves that London is large enough to sustain several impressive clusters, whether they be high density such as the City or Canary Wharf, or smaller 'village' clusters such as Vauxhall and the South Bank.

There is also a distinct difference between each of the clusters, the City being more iconic buildings, Canary Wharf being an American box style cluster, and Vauxhall being tall soaring slim residential. I'd like to see this difference exploited further to keep each cluster separate and instantly recognisable.

·
Registered Abuser
2,834 Posts
capital of the world!

"London looks quite small..." WHAT?! I guess you're talking about the city of London which I think is relatively small bu London as a whole looks heeuuge!

·
Registered
301 Posts
wow!

thats what i call a skyscraper city!

1 - 20 of 364 Posts