SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some renderings I did recently, showing how the City of London might appear in 5-7 years' time.
All of these buildings are approved, with the exception of the DIFA Tower (300m) at the centre of the cluster,
which is being submitted for planning permission next month.

For those who don't know, a similar number of towers are also planned for Canary Wharf in the Docklands.

Also, this view doesn't include London Bridge Tower (306m/71 storeys), which would stand just off the right edge
of this view. Another skyscraper, the Broadgate Tower (165m), would appear just off the left edge.

Several other skyscrapers are planned for Vauxhall, Stratford and Croydon, along with dozens of smaller
midrises (80-140m) elsewhere in the city.

The City as it appears today.

The City, 2012

The City, 2012 - with DIFA Tower shown at the potential height of 300m

Close-up shot

Close-up shot, with DIFA added

Black-and-white versions. I thought I would include these because they seem to "blend" slightly better and look a bit more convincing than colour ones.

This is meant to simulate a night-time view. A realistic night-time shot would have taken absolutely ages to create, so in the end I just decided to make a negative/inverted version. Not very realistic, but it gives a vague impression of darkness.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
London Bridge Tower, which as explained, will appear just off the right edge of the view. If you exclude Moscow, then this will become the tallest building in Europe:

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New York Yankee said:
the skyline looks very small.
London's financial district is nicknamed "The Square Mile". :)

New York Yankee said:
but how tall is the londen brigde tower supposed?
306m/1000ft with 71 storeys (87 if you include the radiator/plant floors on top)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Citrus-Fruit said:
Nice work, Can I ask Fox how do you take a picture from the net, edit it in paint then put it back onto the net?
Well, I found a skyline photo from Google, right-clicked and saved it to my HD, then opened it in Adobe Photoshop. I found the official renderings of each skyscraper and imported them too. I then used a "layer" for each building, and scaled them to the right size using a calculator. I then placed them in their correct positions, before cutting away the bits I didn't need by using the opacity, clone and marquee tools. Last of all, I corrected the brightness, contrast, levels, saturation, colour balance, etc. to make them blend better with the existing skyline. I then uploaded them using an online web FTP (file transfer protocol) program. Simple really. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
London Bridge Tower, which as explained, will appear just off the right edge of the view. If you exclude Moscow, then this will become the tallest building in Europe:
:|

·
Registered
225 Posts
Once DIFA has been submitted, I'll scan you the professional 'verified' render from that location... it looks amazing.

LBT will have 66 floors btw, not 71 or 87.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Britannia said:
Once DIFA has been submitted, I'll scan you the professional 'verified' render from that location... it looks amazing.
"A traditional-looking skyscraper, with a contemporary twist and something that's never been done before" is how you've described it. I'm absolutely dying to see what it looks like!! :drool:

Britannia said:
LBT will have 66 floors btw, not 71 or 87.
But I thought they increased it - the official website says 71, and various news articles have said so as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They are considering submitting a new application to revise the design, which would create additional floors. But they only currently have planning permission for the 66-storey version.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
"A traditional-looking skyscraper, with a contemporary twist and something that's never been done before" is how you've described it. I'm absolutely dying to see what it looks like!! :drool:

But I thought they increased it - the official website says 71, and various news articles have said so as well.

why such a large cooling radiation, and than on the top of the building. why they set it not on the service area's?

·
©
9,473 Posts
Why does London have such a small skyline for a city of it's size? Is it something to do with heritage buildings?
Either way, it's definitely improving.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts