SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAMMERSON SUBMITS APPLICATION FOR MAJOR CITY SCHEME

Hammerson has submitted a detailed application to the City of London for its office-led scheme London Wall Place (formerly known as the St Alphage site).

The existing podium and 1950s tower will be replaced by a 500,000 ft² (46,450m²) scheme designed by MAKE, delivering striking architecture across two landmark buildings, 121-123 London Wall, EC2.

It is anticipated that the application will be determined by Summer 2011. During the determination period Hammerson is looking for a pre-let for 121 London Wall.
Subject to planning approval and occupier demand, completion is set for 2014 for occupier fit out with the building ready for full occupation in mid 2015.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15148

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
^ well I hope MAKE are taking a massive fee on this one, I mean its not exactly the type of scheme they'd want near the front of their portfolio....

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
That what I thought too.

But first, one has to remember that the developer is wishing to maximize the floor space and cater for businesses. There are height constraints and several precedents of height reduction in the area. Once you have that in mind, the solution adopted by Make for the lower building is quite clever. They have managed to breakdown the masses and provide huge floor space at the same time.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Based on the first images seen, its hard to get excited about this proposal. It does not appear to have any outstanding architectural merit, or to improve on the soulessness of the built environment of this area. Frankly, at first glance, this project appears to be very disappointing. The juxtaposition between the west tower and Terry Farrells tower appears a little too close for comfort, while the eastern block appears like a bland wall of offices which may cast a long shadow on the southern residential units of the Barbican behind, despite all the effort to try to break up the massing.

One would like to think London deserves better, but given the blandness of much that is accepted in the City, I assume this project is par for the course and will meet little resistance. Perhaps the green space between the two halves of the project will be nice, at least this space may get some sunshine.

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,332 Posts
Its a collection of dull and unimaginative blocks. What on Earth has happened to architecture and why creating something that is exciting is near impossible these days? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Its a collection of dull and unimaginative blocks. What on Earth has happened to architecture and why creating something that is exciting is near impossible these days? :eek:hno:
I do agree but to be honest we can't really have every new building being a great big sleek glass palace can we? :p

·
Like 'Berg'
6,745 Posts
I can fully comprehend why people do not like this scheme or are indifferent to it, but I think it is ideally suited to its location and works well with the other buildings in its immediate environment. Back when I first gained an interest into highrises etc I really didn't like any of this area (bar 1 London Wall) but after visiting the area a few times and actually gaining an insight into the place I actually love the collection of offices. I think this proposal, whilst rather diluted in many ways, will make a subtle contribution.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
I can fully comprehend why people do not like this scheme or are indifferent to it, but I think it is ideally suited to its location and works well with the other buildings in its immediate environment. Back when I first gained an interest into highrises etc I really didn't like any of this area (bar 1 London Wall) but after visiting the area a few times and actually gaining an insight into the place I actually love the collection of offices. I think this proposal, whilst rather diluted in many ways, will make a subtle contribution.
I agree - I think the massing is perfect for the site and for once MAKE seem to have restrained the colour pallet.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
I agree - I think the massing is perfect for the site and for once MAKE seem to have restrained the colour pallet.
Yes they have bent over backwards to placate the very vocal Barbican residents and the new improved Boris St Paul's sight line that passes through some of the site.

I think this will be a grower. The white is concrete and the black glazed ceramic so it should look high quality and go well with some of the recent additions to London Wall. A large amount of public space and a widened pavement along London Wall as well.

Its a massive building and they have managed to squeeze in dealing floors. When viewed from above from the SW you can really appreciate its size . By breaking it down into a series of blocks the building is quite deceptive as its bigger than it appears than in the above renders.Who knows JPM may even consider coming back here if they decide to scale back some of their operations.

I wonder what they come up with for UBS, which will largely be another office block rather than tower.MAKE seem to have bagged the big 2 commission of this year in the City so it will be interesting to see what style BL and UBS want for Broadgate.

·
Administrator
34,870 Posts
actually i do believe the public space on offer is less than before. the existing building has a massive deck... the original site was never meant to be accessed at ground level. check out blow up to see what i mean.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
The garden of Salters Hall and the London Wall will be connected to make a new open space with cafes and some retail at ground level. People might actually use this unlike the windswept deck that was rarely used and a bit pointless.

The highwalk is also being retained.

·
Administrator
34,870 Posts
yes you can see the highwalk in the images. the thing is that the current site could be so much better if the city had actually invested in it. instead it's neglected and windswept but i suppose they wanted that, it would be hard to justify the redevelopment of the site if a large chunk of it was a popular public garden - in a way this new proposal is actually worse than the current one. i would rather see the existing tower listed (yes seriously, it's the only building on london wall that still has original fittings!), and the public space around it completely redone with better links to ground level. the existing site could be so much more of this, and yes they could probably redevelop something even better but this proposal doesn't persuade.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts