SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the back on the threads on Poland and Austria I thought I'd do one on London. I suppose because I feel more affinity for this city than the country as a whole. Perhaps this will be more difficult as more people have visited London, but I'll give it a try.

What do you think of when someone mentions "London"?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Big Ben/Houses of Parliment, tower bridge, history, red buses, black taxis, victorian architecture, piccadilly circus, st mary axe, industry, red brick buildings, jack the ripper, buckingham palace, trafalgar square, the west end, canray wharf, the london eye, st pauls cathedral, the queen, pubs, old fugly 60s buildings, lot of skyscraper projects, beer, the british accent...

·
Registered
252 Posts
London is pretty cool, definately the funnest place 2 be in England,, however i think it is quite dangerous as i always witness either mugging or fights all the time, m reli not impressed my the services of the underground or buses, but awe-inspired by its size, i hate the expensive prices and costs of living, but u lose ur mind when u shop there; i hate the dirty streets and some rude people, n those exposing urinals(!!!); but i guess that's what makes London special, London is always a hard one to describe, a city of life i guess.

·
Registered
252 Posts
not to mention the great night life there! the good atmospheres in pubs, mad ppl in clubs, but i always feel insecure goin out at night tho.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
History of power

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think of biiig contrasts in architecture and alot of renovation work that the city is in desperate need of both buildings and the underground. Other than that i think of Canary Wharf looks great there and Picadilly Circus, Oxford street, Houses of Parliemant, Buckingham Pal. etc etc :)

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
ricz said:
however i think it is quite dangerous as i always witness either mugging or fights all the time
You think? I've been here 29 years and barely seen any. Where were you hanging out?

·
Registered
296 Posts
great architecture, imperialism, shit roads

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tubeman said:
You think? I've been here 29 years and barely seen any. Where were you hanging out?
U sure? do u only stay in Mayfair or sth? they r everywhere! Ive seen fights Oxford School, WestEnd, Carnaby st, Brixton etc. and very common in clubs or pubs, tonnes of my Londoner fds got mugged b4. But this is the problem every big city has and i'm being personal dun get me wrong.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Englishman said:
Shit roads? What's wrong with them?
they're like tiny (similar to aus anyway), most of london had 2 lanes with 1 designated for parking D:

tiny freeways and stuff too, i cant believe there was traffic in the countryside & beach suburbs whilst we were on the way to sussex & brighton

·
Registered
405 Posts
Big city (they say even bigger than Amsterdam ;-)
Parliament Houses/Big Ben, musea, nightlife, slums contra extreme richness, endless suburbs (would like to see the 'normal' people of London their neighbourhoods, so not the tourist crap), Thames, big parks, musea again, old country houses now more or less IN the city, multi-culti like Indian restaurants (mmmmmmmm), too much tourists, tradition vs modernity, Coronation Street, Dr. Who scenes wich I know from the series.
I never was there, but friends of me go there at least twice a year and they forced me to listen to their stories and watch hundreds of pics. They say great men too ;-)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think there's any slum housing in London. There are bad council estates, but no slums. They all went for better of worse with Comprehensive Redevelopment in the 60s. I don't know what anyone else thinks but I love the small roads. I found the 12 lane motorways in LA to be rather oppressive.

·
Resurrected
24,368 Posts
Carnaby Street, Battersea Power Station, Hyde Park, Regent Park and the Zoo, Britisch and Natural History Museum, shopping on Oxford Street, Harrods and the street markets in Petticoat Lane, Campten Town and Portabello Road, THE TUBE - mind the gap!, Houses of Parliament, St. Paul's Cathedral, Swiss Re, Tate Gallery, Paddington Station and - bear, Victoria, Liverpool Street and Waterloo stations, King's Cross city redevelopment, Soho and China Town, Buckingham Palace, The Mall, Trafalgar Square and Picadilly, Pub food and Musicals, BBC, Monty Python, New Towns, City Council non-existent after Thatcher for a long time - Borrows organized themselves, Guiness World of Records, London Dungeon and Madame Tussaud's, Ken Livingstone, cockney accent, the Kinks and the whole swinging 60s sound and happenings, house music and warehouse parties in the 80s, the Tower of London and the crown jewells, the London sewer, London Bridge sold to a US millionaire, big airports as Heathrow and Gatwick, Jubilee Line extension, the Docklands and the East End, UCL, Arsenal, taxis and busses (I will miss them!), the London city museum and greatest bookshopping in the world, ohmyGodIcan'tstopdon'taskquestionslikethatforLondonisthegreatestcityinontheplanet :lol:

·
Super Moderator
21,815 Posts
vishalt said:
tiny freeways and stuff too, i cant believe there was traffic in the countryside & beach suburbs whilst we were on the way to sussex & brighton
The population density of South East England is somewhat greater than Australia, of course you are going to get more traffic than on the way from Wagga Wagga to Alice Springs.

Look at the map and you'll see it's all towns and villages between London and Brighton, not desert and unsuprisingly the people who live in those towns and villages drive cars thus causing traffic.

I wouldn't say that the freeways are 'tiny' compared to Australia though, how many roads this big do you have?

Even the main highways between big cities (Sydney -Canberra, Sydney-Brisbane etc) are only one lane each direction in Oz.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts