SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is my first thread so hopefully it's ok.

I think work has started on the deconstruction of the east wing at Wimbledon’s centre court. Even though I haven’t heard any official announcement so I may be wrong but it looks like it on the webcam.

In its place will be the new east wing which will double the space already available and create a new restaurant and improved bar facilities.

This is part of the larger redevelopment of centre court which includes
• New light weight retractable roof
• Seating expansion from 13,800 to 15,000
• Replacement of current seating with new wider and more comfortable ones.

What Wimbledon looks like now. and with new east wing

What Wimbledon will look like now and in 2009 after all the improvements have been made.

Webcam of east wing

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well I didn't know that was going on! Thanks for posting tko12345. As ever Wimbledon manages to pull off an elegant improvement very much proving evolution can be just as successful as revolution.

·
Profile of the Rising Sun
2,849 Posts
That looks pretty nice but I woukd prefer they did it on the other side aswell to make it symmetrical.

·
Tax avoider
24,007 Posts
Well, the 2007 Championships start six weeks today, so you'll see a lot of the Centre Court then...

·
1,226 Posts

·
1,226 Posts
The webcam that is inside the court, there should be a link on the offical website, but it appears to be stuck on saturday.

·
Tax avoider
24,007 Posts
Better still, close this one - the spelling mistake in the title is making me see red...

·
Tax avoider
24,007 Posts
Er - no it hasn't, it's just had about eight rows added and a few minor changes. The bulk of the court is unchanged (thankfully).

·
1,226 Posts
Sounds like a good excuse to knock them awful towers down.

·
Registered
397 Posts
According to the BBC website, the changes made are:

Since play ended on 9 July last year, the East Stand has been demolished and the existing roof removed, while an extra six rows of terracing have been completed.

·
Tax avoider
24,007 Posts
The timelapse videos Stadiumitis mentioned are brilliant - the best thing to do is save them all, then drag them into a new playlist in Windows Media Player (in the right order!) so you can watch ten months' progress in one go :)

I didn't realise the upper half of the East Stand seating had been rebuilt - I thought it was just the external building that was new.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
yeah I thought it was weird when u said it was only 8 rows that had been extended as I was sure when I looked at the webcam that a whole side had been demolished.

Still at least it will be another olympic venue built in time for 2012.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts