SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London.
No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.
"

http://www.samueljohnson.com/tiredlon.html

These famous words come from a discussion which happened between Samuel Johnson and James Boswell in 1777.
I had a chance to spend 4 months in London back in 2007, and I can say that 230 years after the discussion took place the words felt SO true.

The biggest problem one may encounter while visiting London is that there is always not enough time to do everything he or she wants to do.

In this thread I'll be posting my pictures of the city, and I hope they'll portray London as indeed a great and very interesting place.

Kamil

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
7. Hyde Park

8. Hyde Park

The park is a wonderful place for escaping from hectic city life, and relaxing for a while. If you look for something else, there is always the possibility of catching some of your heroes live in concert there.

posted by Pepperpearl on YouTube.com​

9. The City - Fenchurch Street railway station aka London Fenchurch Street
The station was the first to be constructed inside the City and it was opened in 1841 for the London and Blackwall Railway (L&BR).

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
10. Yes, this guy's name is Sir Patrick Stewart (aka Captain Jean-Luc Picard for all Star Trek fans). He starred in West End production of Macbeth back in 2007.

11. West End

12. Badge of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway
on the first Blackfriars Railway Bridge. The LCDR was a railway company in south-eastern England from 1859 until the 1923. Its lines ran through London and northern and eastern Kent.
[/CENTER]

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I used to be a HUGE fan of Arsenal FC (around the time Ian Wright was playing there). Well, I still think it's probably the greatest football club in the world. ;)

The other day, back in 2007 I went to Highbury in order to have a look at the Home of Football. I was shocked when a local guy told me that there is no Arsenal Stadium anymore.

Most of Higbhury had been demolished and only the exteriors of the listed Art Deco East Stand and the matching West Stand were preserved. :(

13. Highbury

14. Emirates Stadium - the current home of the Gunners.​
It takes only a couple of minutes to get from the area the barbaric demolition of Arsenal Stadium took place to the Emirates on foot.

15. Guns of the GUNNERS

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well done! Nice photos and nice songs (I think The Clash made the original "London calling")!
Thanks. You are right, the song was originally written by the Clash.
As to the second song... well, I've been a huge fan of Pearl Jam for years now. I was happy to take this opportunity and post a video of the band playing a concert in London's Hyde Park. :cheers:

BTW, I think I'll post another video of a song played live in London: Beautiful Day by U2, because (almost) every day in London is (despite the weather) a beautiful one, and the song is so energetic.

posted on YouTube by U2FanTV​

1 - 20 of 221 Posts