Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jonas's latest amazing photos. I post them here because Jonas is unfortunately banned at SSC. This time from ExCeL:
Late Saturday evening and two of us (me and another SSP forumer Mercutio, known as Monkey over SSC) went for a little walk in London DOcklands to grab some nightshots of Canary Wharf and Millenium Dome. The areas in that part of London don't seem exacty pleasant neither safe (warehouses, doddgy clubs, dark side streets... not a place to go with a camera)

a map to illustrate the location

On the way, still in Baker Street station, we'll be on the opposite side of London in about 20 minutes

A nice surprise, a place we didn't plan to go to. A beautiful and charming Thai restaurant Nakhon Thai near our destination ExCeL exhibition centre in East London. We had some chicken Satay, rice and Singha beer, it was absolutely great :tup:

Waitress

That's pretty much the view we came for, Millenium Dome and Canary Wharf

Despite looking like something from a sci-fi movie it's only a footbridge over a dock. The interesting feature of the bridge is that first you have to get ontop of it by using an elevator (you can use stairs if you want as well) then go to the other end and get down in the same way

On the bridge

Views from the bridge towards Canary Wharf

End :)

(c) Jonas

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,104 Posts
Exceptional work laddies!!! BTW, do you know what is the building with the inclined strange roof in some of the first pictures?

Like I said, excellent pics... :)

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,104 Posts
Funny seeing all these towers bearing Canadian names in the middle of London. I am also happy to see the milennium dome in its place as I have heard some rumours about destroying it once. With a little maintainance I am sure it will continue to serve the CW skyline well for some years to come. A large futuristic construction in front of a bundle of highrises increasing in numbers... It's a good recipe for success that worked in the past (as in the RER station in La Defence).

keep up the good work in informing us about the new London :)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ The Millennium Dome will definitely not be demolished. It has been under interior redevelopment for the last couple of years and will reopen as the O2 Arena in July. It is one of the key venues for the 2012 Olympics. It's here to stay. :)

@Zanovijetalo
The cranes are remnants from when this was a working dock (The Royal Victoria Dock - see the map at the top of the page). The buildings are indeed residential. They are actually new built but they have been designed to resemble the warehouse buildings that are littered through London's Docklands.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Stunning London by Jonas.

Get him back on SSC if possible, and if he wants to...

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
@Zanovijetalo
The cranes are remnants from when this was a working dock (The Royal Victoria Dock - see the map at the top of the page). The buildings are indeed residential. They are actually new built but they have been designed to resemble the warehouse buildings that are littered through London's Docklands.

Thanks, looks like a great place to live.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ Yeah the Dock itself is cool but it's a bit quiet there. Bayswater, where I live now, is far livelier. I just came back from the area in Jonas's photos a few minutes ago. I took my parents to the Thai restaurant seen above. The same waitress in the photo served us. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts