1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
A couple of years ago, I viewed a similar flat in Paddington which was going for £90/week. It was basically just a cupboard, with a tiny sofa, a tiny chest of drawers, a microscopic bathroom, and a "bed" like the one in that photo above.

Laughable...

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Imagine having the parents over for dinner.

"Just a second. I need to get out your dinner."
You walk into the shower and take a pizza out of the microwave.

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Its not that bad actually. Question though, why do you call them flats:dunno:..What does it mean exactly

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
62 square feet = 5,76 m²
Damn! thats pretty tiny! I have probably one of the smallest flats in Hamburg (18 m²) but still huge compared to this! And also far cheaper!

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
DrJoe said:
Its not that bad actually. Question though, why do you call them flats:dunno:..What does it mean exactly
I have no idea of the origin of the term, but in the UK we call Apartments "Flats". Nobody really says "apartment".

We have:

"Studio" = Normally 1 room or 1 room+bathroom
"Flat" = separate living and sleeping areas, usually all on same level
"Maisonette" = Split-level flat

...Although today a lot of old industrial buildings are being converted into "Loft apartments" which would normally be characterised by high ceilings

·
ISAO OKANO
4,584 Posts
1801, from Scot. flat "floor or story of a house," from O.E. flet "a dwelling, floor, ground," from the same source as flat (adj.) (q.v.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wjfox2002 said:
A couple of years ago, I viewed a similar flat in Paddington which was going for £90/week. It was basically just a cupboard, with a tiny sofa, a tiny chest of drawers, a microscopic bathroom, and a "bed" like the one in that photo above.

Laughable...

Do you happen to remember which estate agent were showing it?

I'd love to view it if it ever came back on the market. I'm absolutely fascinated by tiny, but well designed studios as for the time being that's all I'd be able to afford for the moment.

In my trek looking for property in London I have come across some extremely small flats (I tried to snatch a re-furbished flat in Earls Court for an incredible £70 pw, but that was taken off the market). While the one pictured above might be the smallest I've ever seen, I've seen quite a few close to this.

The reason I decided not to go for it was because the only view from the window was a very dull inner courtyard, there was no way of putting any sofa or barely a armchair in the flat and finally, there was no access to satellite or cable TV.

Otherwise I might have taken it!

·
NW London baby!
4,861 Posts
How much is that little flat worth that is the question no one has bothered answering.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sitback said:
How much is that little flat worth that is the question no one has bothered answering.

The estate agent has suggested that it could make £100,000 if it was sold.

For anyone interested in the layout of the flat, please find my (badly drawn) layout below...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts