Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
This is PWEI-zation!
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a bit early to find a link to this, but the Lonley Planet guide has written that Brum is still let down by its accent.

Fair play, it singled out Brum as being a culturally vibrant and exciting place, but they can't let go of this chestnut. Carl Chinn has just been on WM in apoplectic fury calling it akin to racism and other prejudices of the kind.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think somebody mentioned on here (and it tallys with the article on Wikipedia); the Brummie and Black Country accents are closest to those of old English.
We (the whole nation, not just midlanders) should treasure this accent, which is fast disappearing.
The main reason for the ill feeling is the use of comedy parodies on television. I think we need more real Brummie and Black Country accents heard in the media. People will slowly get used to hearing them - although with the comedy accent so cemented in peoples' minds they probably won't realise the real accents for what they are!

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's good to hear the Lonely Planet otherwise gives Brum the thumbs up.
Some travel guides still have Birmingham down as a concrete jungle and fail to mention any of the city's great buildings or vibrant squares. It's like the authors have paraphrased text from a 1970's travel guide.
At least that's one stereotype that has almost vanished.

·
Kebab Licker
3,165 Posts
Wankers. What's fucking wrong with the accent? The accent people think of when they think Birmingham is usually some southern **** on telly faking an overly strong yammer accent.

**** 'em. 'Let down by its accent' my fanny.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think the Birmingham accent is great (don't have one myself). A couple of accents I dislike are the broad Belfast accent & the Welsh accent .... which doesn't seem to have done Huw Edward's career prospects any harm ... funny that.

As a region, we are badly represented on TV & on the radio ..... there are more Northern Irish, Scottish, Geordie, Welsh & Lancashire accents than you can shake a stick at on national TV & radio, & it really gets my goat ... "so it does..!" It's like the London based media is trying to be 'all inclusive' at the exclusion of the 6 million of us in the middle of the country!!!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
It's made me ashamed to open my mouth to anyone non-Brummie now. My accent is clearly Brummie.

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,507 Posts
Ha ha, its a funny accent but its a good one, Geordie is the best though.

My accent used to be quite Brummie but I never realised until I went to uni there and my Mancunian housemate pointed it out. I didn't like his either, Mancunians always sound so loud and aggressive.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yer the Birmingham accent really puts me off visiting the place :blahblah: only messing of course

For far too long Liverpool has been dismissed as a city of smart-aleck scallies in shiny tracksuits, and for far too long Scousers have closed ranks and sent their critics packing with two fingers and a clever insult. 'Slagging' is part of the culture and still commonplace, but these days you'll also get a handshake and a warm welcome.
Scousers (Liverpool)
Scousers are great,they`ll laugh,joke and you`ll feel like a friend within minutes.You almost dont begrudge them lifting your wallet as it was done in such a charming way.
It shouldnt get to you but it does and really pisses you off, people looking up info on birmingham and liverpool on this site will find such shit like this, how much credit does this lonelyplanet have it looks shit to me.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It seems a bit pathetic slating a city by the accent it has, and really it's all down to media portrayal of people with a Brummy accents being thick (Crossroads Benny springs to mind), I agree that we could do with some more Brummies in the spotlight giving it a positive slant, shame Cat Deely went to the U.S.

I suppose though if the only bad things the guide books can say about us is that we talk funny it can't all be bad:)

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Lonely Planet then goes on to champion Manchester as being a "capital city in all but name and location" doesn't it? :no: Does this add further insult to injury to the long suffering Brummies who have had to endure so many decades of prejudice and lazy fucking regional stereotypes such as "concrete jungle" and "motorway city" (wrong on one count at least - Manchester and Glasgow have three times as many motorways as Brum can ever hope to have)??

Perhaps they should revise the claim to now say that "although Birmingham has continually reinvented itself for the better over the last 20 years, it still falls some way short of achieving its aspirations of being a truly world class city, as it is let down badly by a very poor transport infrastructure and a refusal to really push the envelope out when it comes to tall buildings like its great rivals Leeds and Manchester have done..."

Okay Woody - you can delete this post as well now.

·
0 Posts
Crickey... do we really care about some little dickhead journalist sitting behind a computer screen thinking up boring predictable stuff to provoke a reaction :laugh: I think a city of over one million, Britain's second largest city has broad enough shoulders to take such inane piffle.. we all know there are plenty of people with a grudge against our fair old city, the accent is unique and it is a friendly one at that, something to be proud of.

I've heard much worse. Carl Chinn complaining just adds fuel to the fire, I really couldn't give a flying **** to be fair. Scrape it off your shoe like a piece of journo dog cack and carry on. :toilet:

:deadthrea

·
He glides like a bird
1,463 Posts
^^ As I've always maintained gents, if Birmingham was that crap a city, then big business wouldn't be lining up to invest millions in it.
Er, which they obviously are doing.

Which part of this does no one understand? :colgate:

Move along please, nothing more to see here :deadthrea

·
^ Xbox GT: ^
2,379 Posts
It's made me ashamed to open my mouth to anyone non-Brummie now. My accent is clearly Brummie.
Don't be ashamed of your accent. I for one love the Brummie accent.

Would Ozzy be as lovable without his Brummie accent? Of course he wouldn't. :cheers:

·
ex-pat Brummie
6,475 Posts
Crickey... do we really care about some little dickhead journalist sitting behind a computer screen thinking up boring predictable stuff to provoke a reaction :laugh: I think a city of over one million, Britain's second largest city has broad enough shoulders to take such inane piffle.. we all know there are plenty of people with a grudge against our fair old city, the accent is unique and it is a friendly one at that, something to be proud of.

I've heard much worse. Carl Chinn complaining just adds fuel to the fire, I really couldn't give a flying **** to be fair. Scrape it off your shoe like a piece of journo dog cack and carry on. :toilet:

:deadthrea
Spot on TB!

Empty head journo's rely on cheap stereotype to appeal to empty head readers.

Nice Avatar by the way!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts