SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their Web site, www.savelbcskyline.org , airs concerns that a high-rise on the Ocean and Alamitos parcel will greatly increase traffic congestion and noise pollution, reduce access to the beach and available parking and obscure the existing skyline of historical buildings.

They are stupid, they themselves live in a high-rise. The only reason they put up this website is becasue they don't want their views blocked by a proposed cluster of 3 high-rises (20, 15, and 8 stories).

I wrote them an email, maybe you guys can help out!

If you would like to support or FIGHT "Save Long Beach City Skyline" or send any information to the organization, you can send e-mail to:

[email protected]

Save Long Beach City Skyline
P.O. Box 20378
Long Beach, CA, 90802
562/491-1385

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found out that one of the heads of this initiative is a well known violinist, Kristen Autry, who actually lives in the Villa Riviera Tower. She attended a very recent council meeting and stated that she was concerned about the following:

- Long Beach can not handle any more density
- The unlimited height for towers along Ocan blvd
- Ocean blvd should not be used as an East West corridor
- Additional high rise development will cause traffic, noise, and air pollution which Long Beach can not handle

This woman is CRAZY! Here she is living at the top of a 20+ tower in downtown Long Beach and yet she doesn't want urban development around her!!! UGH!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm curious: how much traffic does a new 20+ highrise add? Is traffic already bad along that corridor, and how much worse could one more tower possibly make it? Plus, doesn't Long Beach already have the blue line, or is that on the other side of town?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I think that traffic patters by high-rise might be different depending on if it is a residential or commercial tower. As far as I know, residential towers don't add as much traffic as a commercial. Regardless, Long Beach (downtown) can handle additional density because people will not come home and then get back in their cars and drive around downtown... most likely they will walk to cafes, bars, gym, etc. thus creating a more urban and inviting environment. Adding 10 towers to downtown LB will not make it Hong Kong or Manhattan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts