Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2018/01349/PA

Change of use from offices to 57 residential apartments.

Not really much on the planning portal at the moment apart from floor layouts and a noise assessment.

Very disappointing that we are not getting a demo and a rebuild here though, with the developer obviously looking to do an unambitious conversion on the cheap, much like those offices down from Broadway House on Broad Street.

Let’s just hope they can redeem it and make sure it at least looks a high quality refurb.

Developer:

http://www.mcrproperty.com/project/lonsdale-house-birmingham/

·
Kingsheathen
2,469 Posts
2018/01349/PA

Change of use from offices to 57 residential apartments.

Not really much on the planning portal at the moment apart from floor layouts and a noise assessment.

Very disappointing that we are not getting a demo and a rebuild here though, with the developer obviously looking to do an unambitious conversion on the cheap, much like those offices down from Broadway House on Broad Street.

Let’s just hope they can redeem it and make sure it at least looks a high quality refurb.

Developer:

http://www.mcrproperty.com/project/lonsdale-house-birmingham/

It will be very disappointing if they don't change the exterior of this building. Complete demolition would have been better.

·
Jersey's finest
5,075 Posts
Isn't this very close to a similar building which was redeveloped and those appartments are some of the most expensive in the City. I'm all for new builds going up, but not if they're just going to be boxy little appartments that aren't unique in any way, shape or form.

I'd rather see an old building like this get an extravagant refurb which hopefully inspires other developers to do the same.

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
24,039 Posts
Absolutely terrible. Worst development in the whole city for sure.
By far the most dramatic forumer we have :lol:

But in all fairness, this building is vile.. and with Holloway Head project sitting opposite, this is the perfect opportunity to renew the building.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Isn't this very close to a similar building which was redeveloped and those appartments are some of the most expensive in the City. I'm all for new builds going up, but not if they're just going to be boxy little appartments that aren't unique in any way, shape or form.

I'd rather see an old building like this get an extravagant refurb which hopefully inspires other developers to do the same.

Old building? Huh?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Old building? Huh?
Concord House adjacent to it on Holloway Head. The Penthouse went for £1.8m.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like this building and the Lee Bank Business Centre next door. Both could make great Loft style apartments. Be interesting to see what changes they propose.
Was hoping we would have seen some proposals for 55 Holloway Head by now. It must have been at least a year ago it was put out to tender for redevelopment and I think they managed to get someone on board within a few months.

·
Break
0 Posts
^^
Be interesting to find out why??
"Prior approval for change of use from offices (Use Class B1 to 60 residential apartments."

Reason for Refusal:

1 The application site would not benefit from the provisions under Schedule 2, Part 3, Class O of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) Order 2016 by virtue of its current use which includes a sports therapy clinic (Use Class D1) and private hire booking office (Sui Generis).
You can peruse and generally get bored of reading the Town and Country Planning Order here lol
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/332/pdfs/uksi_20160332_en.pdf

In conclusion: It has not been demonstrated that the primary use of the application site is B1(a).
Edit: It's also worth reading the email from the solictor dated 19/06/2018
http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk/publisher/mvc/listDocuments?identifier=Planning&reference=2018/01349/PA

·
Registered
28,464 Posts
New apps in for this

Application Details
Application Number2018/08081/PA
Application TypePermitted Development Changes After May 2013
Site AddressLonsdale House Blucher Street Birmingham B1 1QU
ProposalPrior approval for change of use from offices (Use Class B1{a}) to 59 residential apartments (Use Class C3)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.