SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe no one has posted about Looptopia yet. Probably cuz many of you just got back from it 6 hours ago and are sleeping! I went last night and it was amazing! It was so good to see so many people walking around downtown at once. And it wasn't like the Taste where they just push people into Grant Park. There were some problems because they had more people than expected (a cop told us they were hoping for 100,000, prepared for 130,000, and estimated that 500,000 people showed up!) The city was WAY UNPREPARED for what happened, though. I did feel like one of the oldest people there. The events were great, but unspectacular. A few changes I would like to see for next year:
- Headliner band to kick off the night in Millenium Park. Maybe a Chicago native like Wilco or Liz Phair.
- Close down Michigan Avenue. This was ridiculous. I must have seen nearly 20 near hits because of so many drunken revelers running through the streets.
- Keep events open throughout the night. Not too far after midnight, nearly everything shut down except for the Chicago Cultural Center and Harold Washington College. The events at the CCC were great, but they stopped letting people in after 11ish becuase the crowds were so excessive. The HWC was kinda lame. So what you got was 200,000 drunk young people hanging around the streets causing problems until 5 AM or so.
- MORE COPS. A lot of drinking and drugs on the street. A lot of trouble makers vandalizing and boys being boys.
- Wristbands for 21 and over. I probably sound like a jerk, but the all night event I think should be 21 and over (after midngiht). So much drinking (no exception here) and it seemed like a lot of the problems were delinquent under-age kids whose parents dropped them off for the night.
- Expand. They should spread out into Grant Park, more outdoors spectacles. And they should spread out down to Roosevelt.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree it was amazing to see everyone everywhere in loop. I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams thought that the turnout would be that incredible so crowd control was lacking, but :applause: to everyone who envisioned and made this happen, I just love seeing fellow Chicagoans enjoying the city, could of been better organized and need more activities but again nobody expected this thing to be such a huge attraction. Can't wait for next year, they could easily attract a Wilco or Kayne next year and garner national attention. This has the potential to become an absolutely amazing event for the city and its citizens. :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Urbane observer
1,597 Posts
Ah yes, the Chicago Festival of Twentysomethings Walking Around Downtown Talking on Cell Phones.

"Hey, where are you guys? Yeah, we're just waiting for you. No, we're downtown already. Yeah, we're right, ummm, by the Starbucks, next to that bank. I think we're at, like, Wabash and Clark."

·
C.B.P.
1,481 Posts

·
The City
7,187 Posts
Ah yes, the Chicago Festival of Twentysomethings Walking Around Downtown Talking on Cell Phones.

"Hey, where are you guys? Yeah, we're just waiting for you. No, we're downtown already. Yeah, we're right, ummm, by the Starbucks, next to that bank. I think we're at, like, Wabash and Clark."
^ It's interesting, because I don't think the city was going for that. It seems like an honest effort was being made to attract families. Were there families and children there?

What I just don't get is how anyone can expect families to party downtown till 6 am. Sorry, but that's just not gonna happen.

·
Urbane observer
1,597 Posts
I was surprised, like everyone, at the size of the crowds, but also surprised at how much it appeared to be only college students.

I kept thinking of the first Taste of Chicago in 1980, which drew vastly more people than expected and became downright dangerous on Michigan Avenue.

But after the dark days of the 1980s downtown, it's really nice to see young people thinking of downtown as a place to enjoy. One of my favorite Chicago events is Summerdance, not because you'll ever catch me dancing, but because of the enthusiastic crowds of young people you see there reveling in a summer evening in Grant Park below the skyline.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was too surprised to see mostly young adults. Although, I read somewhere that the CLA was hoping for a young, progressive crowd (presumably to bring more business for retailers since CLA is similar to a chamber of commerce). Take into account the type of person that would want to stay up all night (not too many suits or families with young children). Although I feel that the festival was a huge success, I was dissappointed by people throwing beer cans at cars, blocking traffic, TRYING TO TIP OVER THE BEAN, and putting graffiti on places like the Chicago Cultural Center and the Marshall Fields' signs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One thing that you can never attract is 250,000 progressive/young business class people. Thats more than prolly exist, haha! Yeah it sounds like they need more cops. Perhaps a suggested dresscode like White Linen could spruce things up. There are many subtle ways to distract young adolescents from wanting to come! Whats the weather like this time of year in Chicago?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
^ depends. The past month or so we've been flucutating from between 60 and 90. Monday was 90, yesterday was 80 and then dropped off to 55 in the evening. Today is around 65. Next few days are only around 60, but then mid to upper 80's next week.

The day of Looptopia was quite cold for what we've been having unfortunately. The high was barely 70 and by the late evening it was down in the low 50's.

The latest in the year it's ever gotten below freezing was April 29th back in the 1950's.

The average low creeps above freezing in mid-March

the average high never actually goes BELOW 32, but does hit 32 for a period in January.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sorry, but I think "Looptopia" sucked. I'm all for a street festival in the loop, in fact i think it's a great idea...but I feel they half-assed it. Closing some of the streets (it was friday night...nobody's in the loop anyway), and a little more direction as to what was where would've at least been a start.

·
C.B.P.
1,481 Posts
Sorry, but I think "Looptopia" sucked. I'm all for a street festival in the loop, in fact i think it's a great idea...but I feel they half-assed it. Closing some of the streets (it was friday night...nobody's in the loop anyway), and a little more direction as to what was where would've at least been a start.
Dude, chill out! It was the inaugural Looptopia. Version 1.0 is bound to have mistakes. Save the criticism if they do them again next year.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude, chill out! It was the inaugural Looptopia. Version 1.0 is bound to have mistakes. Save the criticism if they do them again next year.
But I think the problem is... they may have ruined it for themselves. Let's not forget that the city did not put this together... the Chicago Loop Alliance did and it was a nightmare for the city and the police. I heard Daley was less than enthusiastic when asked if it would go forward next year, saying he was unsure. I think Ty Tabing might have burned his bridge. Having it coincide with Columbia's graduation was, in my opinion, a huge mistake. Maybe they should have it at the same time the rest of the world has it (White Lights) on the summer solistace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.