Skyscraper City Forum banner

When do you think LA will be awarded the Olympics?

• 2024 Summer Olympics

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Later.....

Votes: 8 25.0%
1 - 20 of 1556 Posts

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this will be the LA 2016 Olympic Bid thread, with news and views on our city's, and competing cities' bids...

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
San Fran out!! This is a cause for celebration!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
How about L.A.'s hopes of getting an NFL team? Does that affect our chances of the games because the way the NFL owners are acting, they are in no hurry to return to L.A. I for one couldn't care less about getting a team but if it helps in the Olympic bid, I'm for it. What are the pros/cons for us vs. Chicago?

·
Registered
872 Posts
San Fran out!! This is a cause for celebration!!!
:lol:
Not quite yet. You still have the big dog to contend with. IMO Chicago was always LAs biggest competition.

Besides, with Chicago's comically corrupt city government, one can't rule out the possibility of palms being greased in order to bring 2016 to Chicago. It worked for Salt Lake City.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think San Francisco did the right thing! No city should be held hostage to the NFL's deal-making shennanigans. LA has held out for more than 10 years and is doing just fine....

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
I think you also have to consider climate. Being that it's the 2016 Summer Olympics, I think many would agree that LA's climate is better suited for such events. We have the absolutely Beautiful Beaches of LA on the Beautiful California Coastline. Don't forget about the beaches of OC, San Diego, Santa Barbara, etc. all within close proximity.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Don't forget Las Vegas is also easily accessible. While I think Chicago to be a great city with plenty to offer, there is really nothing else to offer in the Midwest that visitors would be interested in where as in LA you have mountains, beaches, deserts, etc. LA definitely offers more recreational activities.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't forget Las Vegas is also easily accessible. While I think Chicago to be a great city with plenty to offer, there is really nothing else to offer in the Midwest that visitors would be interested in where as in LA you have mountains, beaches, deserts, etc. LA definitely offers more recreational activities.
Olympic Officials want things more closer to each other in one main area.
You can rule out the desert (Come on its hot), beaches (Hello we also have beaches) Las Vegas (What? I thought it was to showcase your state and city not loose all your money to another city) And recreational activities are already in place in Chicago. (Besides you actually start building up all of that once you are certain to win.) And the Midwest is the heart of America, Chicago has world-class architecture, a renowned skyline, multi-cultural, historical, and pop-cultural contributions.

"If Chicago is chosen to host the Games, we will host them along our Lakefront, in the midst of our beautiful parks and in the shadows of our iconic skyline. They will be compact Games, celebrated in the center of our city and dedicated to an athlete experience that is second-to-none." Mayor Richard M Daley

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.... Make big plans... aim high in hope and work." Daniel Hudson Burham

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Are you seriously going to compare the beaches of Southern California (which happen to sit on the Pacific Ocean) to some tiny beach that sits on a lake? :lol: Don't be ridiculous.

Like I said, the summer weather in LA is far more favorable than the humidity in Chicago.

They want things closer together in one area? What happened to showing off your city?

I would say LA definitely beats Chicago in recreational activities. I don't think Chicago has any mountains.

Yes, but the Midwest doesn't have much outside Chicago. And LA is easily accessible for people traveling across the Pacific (Asia, Australia, Hawaii, etc.)

LA is unquestionably the city that has more pop-culture. LA too is a multi-cultured city. Skyline? We're working on that.

·
Angeleeeeeeeno
1,720 Posts
Olympic Officials want things more closer to each other in one main area.
You can rule out the desert (Come on its hot), beaches (Hello we also have beaches) Las Vegas (What? I thought it was to showcase your state and city not loose all your money to another city) And recreational activities are already in place in Chicago. (Besides you actually start building up all of that once you are certain to win.) And the Midwest is the heart of America, Chicago has world-class architecture, a renowned skyline, multi-cultural, historical, and pop-cultural contributions.

"If Chicago is chosen to host the Games, we will host them along our Lakefront, in the midst of our beautiful parks and in the shadows of our iconic skyline. They will be compact Games, celebrated in the center of our city and dedicated to an athlete experience that is second-to-none." Mayor Richard M Daley

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.... Make big plans... aim high in hope and work." Daniel Hudson Burham

Let's not stir up another City vs. City thread...they get old really, really fast. L.A. will always be better than Chicago...and Chicago will always be better than L.A....it depends on where you're from. Opinions, opinions, opinions...NOW...LET'S TALK ABOUT THE OLYMPICS!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Los Angeles is a shoe in 4 the Olympic in 2016!!!!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Are you seriously going to compare the beaches of Southern California (which happen to sit on the Pacific Ocean) to some tiny beach that sits on a lake? :lol: Don't be ridiculous.

Like I said, the summer weather in LA is far more favorable than the humidity in Chicago.

They want things closer together in one area? What happened to showing off your city?

I would say LA definitely beats Chicago in recreational activities. I don't think Chicago has any mountains.

Yes, but the Midwest doesn't have much outside Chicago. And LA is easily accessible for people traveling across the Pacific (Asia, Australia, Hawaii, etc.)

LA is unquestionably the city that has more pop-culture. LA too is a multi-cultured city. Skyline? We're working on that.
With all due respect, the decision by the Olympic committee will not depend on beaches, culture, humidity, mountains, pop-culture, or skyline; it will depend upon the quality of venues and facilities that the cities can offer.

If you doubt that, then I will humbly remind you that the last American olympic city was Asslanta.:lol:

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Just taking into consideration what the city has to offer for visitors when they're not attending any of the events. The quality of our facilities and venues is great. Potential venues include Staples Center, Nokia Theater @ LA Live, the Coliseum, and the Galen Center. All of which are relatively new facilities or will be relatively new by 2016 with the exception of the Coliseum, are all located in DTLA, and will be easily accessible by rail. The Expo Line will stretch from DTLA to Santa Monica by 2015. Many visitors would probably stay in DTLA where they would be able to take mass transit around Downtown or simply walk to Staples Center and the adjacent LA Live Mega-Complex. They would take the Expo Line form DTLA to Exposition Park (where the Coliseum and Galen Center are located). Should they have extra free time, they would be able to take the Expo Line from Exposition Park all the way to Santa Monica and enjoy the Wonderful Santa Monica Beach, the very vibrant Third Street Promenade, and of course the World Famous Santa Monica Pier. Visitors would also be able to access Hollywood from DTLA as well as Wilshire Center and Long Beach, where other potential venues are located.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know the guys at the Transit Coalition say theres now way the Red Line will be to Santa Monica by 2016, but it would be absolutely stupid for this not to be included in the Olympic proposal. And whoever mentioned beach volleyball in the south bay is the smartest person in the world, maybe not really, but that seems like such a no brainer. Is not the biggest annual tournament in Manhattan Beach every year? People could take the green line to the rosecrans station and the MTA could setup a shuttle especially for the olympics that goes straight from the station to the beach. Because parking down there, just like any other beach community in so cal, is awful.

1 - 20 of 1556 Posts