SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Per Urbanize LA, the tower planned on the L.A. Grand Hotel site on Bunker Hill would be the new tallest in Los Angeles!

Last week, Chinese developer Shenzhen New World Group filed plans with the City of Los Angeles to redevelop the 1980s L.A. Grand Hotel Downtown at 333 S. Figueroa Street on Bunker Hill. In addition to converting the existing 13-story hotel into 224 apartments, the proposed development also calls for the construction of a soaring 77-story tower which would rise to an apex nearly 1,108 feet above ground level.

Los Angeles-based Dimarzio | Kato architecture is designing the L.A. Grand redevelopment, would contain a total of 599 hotel rooms, 242 condominiums, 28,705 square feet of commercial space, and 36,674 square feet of hotel amenities - including a bar occupying its top two floors. Renderings portray a slim glass-and-steel structure, rising above 552 parking spaces on seven basement levels. Plans also call for a series of gardens, event terraces, and swimming pools.

The project would replace the existing hotel's event and conference center, but allow an existing boarding high school to remain in place.
Follow the link for the rest of the article.

·
3,563 Posts
With this proposal LA now has 2 (possibly 3) new supertalls proposed, bringing the total to 4 (possibly 5) supertalls.

- 333 Figueroa St.
- Wilshire Grand (completed)
- Angel's Landing
- US Bank Tower (completed)
- Figueroa Centre*

*if it gets a slight height bump; it's currently proposed to be 975 ft, only EIGHT FEET away from supertall status.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A nice sleek design but at ground level it looks empty, cold and soulless. Seems to cater to cars, which puts in 30 years behind the times. If this is what it is going to do for street life the city has to turn it down flat.

Well said. This is just another fortress tower on Figueroa. Zero street level activation.

LA architects need to get out of their post-war mentality.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A nice sleek design but at ground level it looks empty, cold and soulless. Seems to cater to cars, which puts in 30 years behind the times. If this is what it is going to do for street life the city has to turn it down flat.
Isn't the building next door being converted into an apartment building? Something tells me that much more will be going on at the ground level. Why miss out on that opportunity for the residents and the non stop visitors? As an aside, is this the tallest on the west coast now once Seattle's plans are complete?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right about the lack of street level activation, (although that's mostly due to the existing hotel being set back away from the street.) This should have street-facing retail on Figueroa at a bare-ass minimum -- it's a block from a new subway station for chrissakes! Does the city have any leverage to extract design changes?

·
chjbolton
982 Posts
I must also say I'm a bit annoyed that with a building like this, the LA skyline will grow upwards at one end and then just pretty much stop abruptly; like Seattle's... I like when they're a centered peak, you know?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tower design is nice. Base is bad, old design typology. Reminds me of the middle east, where they just have fortress buildings with little street interaction and just car first design..

I thought LA was changing its philosophy to car based design.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts