SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
16,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's Another Look at the 53-Story Tower Planned Near Pershing Square

The Los Angeles Department of City Planning has published a draft environmental impact report detailing plans for a skyline-altering development next to Pershing Square.
JMF Development Co., which owns the Pershing Square Building at 5th and Hill Streets, hopes to construct a 53-story tower on the vacant, L-shaped lot which wraps the historic structure.

·
Registered
545 Posts
this would look stupid in most other cities, but in LA i think the uniqueness and surrounding environment (built and natural) could make it a nice addition.

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
This could only be pulled off in a place like LA or Miami. I like it. :eek:kay:
Actually, LA needs a lot more of it. In general, high rise is glass boxes with little variation or imagination.

But this, the Wrapper near Culver City, some DT projects from BIG, Herzog & DeMeuron and Gehry, and a couple of others should help liven things up.

Btw, I have filed for the Dramamine merchandising rights in the building.

·
Illuminati Leader
4,627 Posts
Reminds me of 56 Leonard Street in NYC, which had beautiful renders but was a disappointment all around once completed.

Reactions: chjbolton

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
I mean, LA remains the quintessential nouveau riche American city--at least in the eyes of this East Coaster--so a bit (or a lot) of flash makes sense.
I would say Dallas for quintessential nouveau riche, although the real nouveau riche is now Silicon Valley.

LA is overwhelmingly Hispanic, Iranian, Korean, Armenian, Chinese. It's not rich as US cities go. And the rich live way out on the West Side or the suburbs.

This will be for foreign investors, most likely.

·
Hirise Piping Man
839 Posts
well, the two point perspective rendering from street level, shows the lap pools much more dramatically than they will actually be, which if i took a guess will be no longer than 30', if one considers other factors such as the overall weight of the projecting structure, and the water in it, which could be 2 to 4 times the structure weight, my interest in this building is how it reacts in a seismic event, something that is sure to happen to this tower, if built, and of course, how many inches of "rain" this tower will produce on the day of that event, this tower, at 789' high, 30' projections won't be as pronounced as the rendering depicts, but like someone said a few posts back, the drama of this pool feature will be for the person who is in the pool, hopefully not when a seismic event occures,

·
Administrator
29,694 Posts
I would say Dallas for quintessential nouveau riche, although the real nouveau riche is now Silicon Valley.

LA is overwhelmingly Hispanic, Iranian, Korean, Armenian, Chinese. It's not rich as US cities go. And the rich live way out on the West Side or the suburbs.

This will be for foreign investors, most likely.
Huh?

·
16,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
It was aliens
4,599 Posts
Sooooo.... How are we feeling about this one? Realistically, is it likely to get done as currently designed with such praises?
I pray that is does.
I like the concept and think it would be cool (or terrifying) to swim in one of those pools but as a building it's kind of ugly to be honest. Unique but ugly.

Still happy about a high rise of this height in LA though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts