Registered
5,164 Posts

·
Registered
17,053 Posts

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
i still dont understand how they are sticking with 22,000 as the capacity.. This team can easily draw 30k a game. Very shortsighted
22,000 seats at an average of $50/seat makes more money than 30,000 seats at an average of $30/seat. Keeping demand high is a better money making policy than a larger supply.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
22,000 seats at an average of $50/seat makes more money than 30,000 seats at an average of $30/seat. Keeping demand high is a better money making policy than a larger supply.
Maybe. But are you then arguing for even lower? Why not go to 15k at $80? I need to see the elasticity curve and the other revenues streams (parking, food, gear) before I buy that idea completely.

·
0 Posts
i still dont understand how they are sticking with 22,000 as the capacity.. This team can easily draw 30k a game. Very shortsighted
Prefer to see it happen first. 22,000 consistently is way better than having games where there are 23k people in a 30k stadium.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Having a look at this stadium design, it would be a killer venue for use in a possible LA Olympic bid, a great Equestrian venue or Rugby 7s, more ideal for the latter id recon.

On capacity, id like to see a 25,000 venue with them charging $45 per match, as thats a goos hybrid that brings in more than enough money, and keeps a small expansion there for when things work and also keeps supply and demand high.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
The really interesting news re LAFC is that you have moved some very competent new economy marketing and PR types into management positions. Guys who understand the world marketing possibilities and are willing to take risks (because they know what they are doing and have huge money at their disposal). They are not only LA experts but have strong working connections to Europe and Asia.

I am guessing that the revenues from people attending the games will become less and less relevant to their economic scenarios (VC's already joke about how much easier it will be when they can just digitally fill-in the people in the stands and market the product). For this reason they probably do prefer smaller stadiums and fewer people required for reaching capacity.

·
0 Posts
World marketing possibilities, lol.

Heres how soccer works:

You buy the best players. You win trophies. You buy more great players. You win more trophies. Global fanbase.*

*Only applicable to five leagues, MLS not included.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Maybe. But are you then arguing for even lower? Why not go to 15k at $80? I need to see the elasticity curve and the other revenues streams (parking, food, gear) before I buy that idea completely.
Indeed, its a delicate balance that I'm sure the bean counters in the front office have been crunching for the last year. I don't pretend to know the details, but probably no one outside of the LAFC front office does.

I'm not arguing for anything. But you're asking why 22,000 instead of 30,000? Well... that's probably where they figure the balance point is between demand and accessibility to the game.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
World marketing possibilities, lol.

Heres how soccer works:

You buy the best players. You win trophies. You buy more great players. You win more trophies. Global fanbase.*

*Only applicable to five leagues, MLS not included.
That is a formula losing a billion dollars very quickly.

Some small points: the best players are not necessary but players that can be positioned to fit your target demographic are important (local popularity, high profile, even trouble-makers). Winning trophies is not critical; being in contention regularly is important, although a losing year tossed in actually attracts more attention than winning regularly. And attention is pure gold.

International soccer powers have said that an annual tour of US or Asia is now MANDATORY to maintain their team value; their home markets are stagnant and they are in a fight for world name-recognition. A typical approach is targeting a market, establishing the brand, putting people on the ground and in the media; then playing there repeatedly. PSG among others have done this and are very pleased with the increase in their brand recognition outside France.

MLS enters as a smaller player but they are going to be well-funded and well-connected. LAFC management has offices, among others, in NY, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Madrid, all over India and China; anywhere there are markets and investors. Literally hundreds of investment and marketing professionals thinking about ways to make money in their local markets.

More locally, I would expect LAFC to try to work deals with Kroenke re matches against Arsenal in LA and London. Some other world power might like to play Galaxy so as not to concede the California market. Same for some other US cities with strong funding and management. The new mantra is that cooperation makes more money than competition.

·
Proud Facebook Non-Member
2,142 Posts
You are invited to the LAFC Stadium Groundbreaking Press Conference.

August 23: 9:30AM arrival – 10AM press conference
LAFC Stadium site: 3939 S. Figueroa St. Los Angeles CA 90037
Parking: California Science Center – enter at Figueroa & 39th Streets.

Limited capacity – Please RSVP by August 18
The groundbreaking will also be broadcast on Facebook Live
Dress Code: Construction Casual (Jeans OK)

https://lafc.com/groundbreakingrsvp/

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
2024 Summer Olympics | Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Candidate Cities
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=134815524#post134815524

LAFC Stadium to Break Ground on August 23

On August 23, Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) will officially break ground on a $250-million stadium in Exposition Park.

The 22,000-seat venue, designed by the architecture firm Gensler, will anchor a larger development featuring a conference center, office space, a soccer museum and 10,000 square feet of restaurants. The soccer-specific stadium will be highlighted by a series of glass canopies, that provide weather shielding for spectators and frame views of the Downtown skyline.

The new stadium will rise from the current site of the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, a dilapidated but historic structure that has played host to professional hockey, basketball, Olympic boxing, and even the Democratic National Convention. The 57-year-old arena, closed since March 2016, will be demolished.

Completion of the LAFC Stadium is expected in time for the 2018 MLS season. It may coincide with several other developments planned on the eastern side of Exposition park, including a proposed high-rise complex and the MyFigueroa streetscape improvement project.
http://urbanize.la/post/lafc-stadium-break-ground-august-23

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
101 - 120 of 1223 Posts