SkyscraperCity banner

1201 - 1220 of 1223 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welp. LAFC chokes again and puts on their best Dodger impression. The LA Galaxy are still the last LA team to win a title (unless you count the Sparks in 2016). LA is definitely in this weird drought now, with power teams and nothing to show for it. 2020 here we come! Let's see what the Lakers or Clippers can do.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Welp. LAFC chokes again and puts on their best Dodger impression. The LA Galaxy are still the last LA team to win a title (unless you count the Sparks in 2016). LA is definitely in this weird drought now, with power teams and nothing to show for it. 2020 here we come! Let's see what the Lakers or Clippers can do.
Yes! In my recent enthusiasm I was picturing Dodger, Laker/Clipper, LAFC/Galaxy and Ram/Charger championships. Rams, Dodgers and LAFC got close but no cigar.

Fortunately, there's always next year.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
FYP

:tongue2:
Generally not. The NCAA Big Dance is an example, where you can have Nowhere State upset, say, Duke, and then get blown out by 30 or so by their next opponent. You lose in the rest of the tournament what you get in the one game and give an undeserving team an effective bye.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
The referees were terrible, they ruined the game, I like the "let them play" attitude but last night was just too much, a lot of pushing and hits, not to mention the "hands".

The stadium is great, and so is the atmosphere, better luck next time LAFC!, great example of making a spectacle out of sports.

·
9,863 Posts
Generally not. The NCAA Big Dance is an example, where you can have Nowhere State upset, say, Duke, and then get blown out by 30 or so by their next opponent. You lose in the rest of the tournament what you get in the one game and give an undeserving team an effective bye.
Well in that case don't have playoffs at all, just a regular season structured to produce an equitable schedule and a clear champion. (a la most soccer leagues outside the US) But that's for another thread.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Well in that case don't have playoffs at all, just a regular season structured to produce an equitable schedule and a clear champion. (a la most soccer leagues outside the US) But that's for another thread.
Nothings is perfect but double elimination is closer than single. However, allowing 64 plus teams in makes for a lot more money and entertainment and make double elim to lengthy.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Exposition Park Master Plan Continues to Move Forward

FULL DETAILS: https://urbanize.la/post/exposition-park-master-plan-continues-move-forward

Festival Park and Community Promenade

Along the southern perimeter of Exposition Park, the proposed master plan calls for relocating existing surface parking underground to create 14.2 acres of new green space above. The Festival Park and Community Promenade would include landscaping, circulation paths, a large lawn, outdoor seating, a children's play area, and a skate park.

The proposed three-level subterranean garage would span from Figueroa Street west past Hoover Street, with accommodations for up to 2,000 vehicles.

Expo Festival Plaza

The proposed Expo Festival Plaza would be located at the current site of Christmas Tree Lane - between the park's visitor parking garage, the Coliseum, and Banc of California Stadium.

The proposed master plan would create new pedestrian and bicycle paths - connecting with the exterior cycle tracks - and add new promenades along the north and south perimeters of Christmas Tree Lane.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Exposition Park Master Plan Continues to Move Forward

FULL DETAILS: https://urbanize.la/post/exposition-park-master-plan-continues-move-forward

Festival Park and Community Promenade

Along the southern perimeter of Exposition Park, the proposed master plan calls for relocating existing surface parking underground to create 14.2 acres of new green space above. The Festival Park and Community Promenade would include landscaping, circulation paths, a large lawn, outdoor seating, a children's play area, and a skate park.

The proposed three-level subterranean garage would span from Figueroa Street west past Hoover Street, with accommodations for up to 2,000 vehicles.
The big plus is the new underground parking which will supplement the parking under the Lucas.

Otherwise, it strikes me as disappointing. There is lots of trendy, happy-talk about bikes, pedestrians, public space, solar, etc., but none about the reality of the 'hood. What keeps the lawns from becoming cities of tents and dopers? You might want to take a lesson from the public projects across MLK and Vermont: nothing breakable, nothing that can be stolen, nowhere to lie down or build a fire. Lockable gates.

In short, this is not Beverly Hills. Vermont Sq. is about as bad as it gets for poverty and violent crime. Maybe that aspect will be looked into in the next round of designs?

·
3,448 Posts
Really the biggest disappointment for me is he fact that Bill Robertson Lane (the road between Lucas and the Coliseum) was left open for cars as opposed to becoming pedestrian only. having a a vehicle thoroughfare cut the park in half really dampens my enthusiasm for the changes.

Besides that though? ...I really like it! (one man's opinion and all though :lol:)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
LAFC and Banc of California announce restructuring of sponsorship deal that will see the stadium's primary naming rights deal expire in the near future

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
LAFC and Banc of California announce restructuring of sponsorship deal that will see the stadium's primary naming rights deal expire in the near future

OK, I give up. What's the real story behind this?

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
OK, sounds like BOC is short of money or not impressed by the value of having their name on the stadium.

Is this Corona-related? Could SoFi be getting cold feet as well? I would guess Ballmer doesn't worry about this kind of thing; he can afford a long-term view of the world.

1201 - 1220 of 1223 Posts