SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 160 of 1223 Posts

·
3,448 Posts
Yeah, just for an example, the O2 Arena in London was named the "North Greenwich Arena" while it held the basketball competition for the 2012 games.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,527 Posts
But it is in line to possibly host early rounds of Olympic football or maybe something like Rugby 7s should LA 2024 win its bid for the Olympics next year. If it is in the venue plan for those Games it will have to change its name temporarily.

·
Registered
17,030 Posts
But it is in line to possibly host early rounds of Olympic football or maybe something like Rugby 7s should LA 2024 win its bid for the Olympics next year. If it is in the venue plan for those Games it will have to change its name temporarily.
How about "You Can Bank on California" Stadium?

·
Registered
17,030 Posts
Interesting design. Looks really good. I like that seats are close to the pitch. Is there much scope for expansion in the future should MLS continue to grow?
It doesn't look like there's much room.

And it also would be odd to expand when there is a 90k facility maybe 30 yards from the project.

·
0 Posts
It doesn't look like there's much room.

And it also would be odd to expand when there is a 90k facility maybe 30 yards from the project.
Yes, a facility that LAFC don't control revenues at, and which isn't between 22,000 and 90,000 (any number in between which would serve LAFC better than the Coliseum).

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
If nothing else, I would imagine a derby between LAFC and the Galaxy in a few years. Once the stadium in Inglewood is complete (which is close to where the Galaxy play), I would imagine that they would use the Coliseum for one game (LAFC would be home) and one game at the Inglewood stadium (where the Galaxy would be home).

·
Registered
17,030 Posts
If nothing else, I would imagine a derby between LAFC and the Galaxy in a few years. Once the stadium in Inglewood is complete (which is close to where the Galaxy play), I would imagine that they would use the Coliseum for one game (LAFC would be home) and one game at the Inglewood stadium (where the Galaxy would be home).
Yes. Assuming you have a strategy that aims at 22k to begin with, and you have a facility next door at 90k that you can rent for high interest matches, why go to 30k or so? But time will tell.

Btw, it would be funny for the Galaxy home matches in the Derby to be played at Inglewood, which is actually closer to BOC than StubHub.

·
Registered
432 Posts
^ Cap the Coliseum capacity at 60,000 for derby games. Though since the Coliseum is so damn huge, 60k people will seem like nothing.
Neither the Galaxy or LAFC will have a home match against the rival at another stadium. Galaxy have hosted MLS Cups and didn't move them to the Rose Bowl or Coliseum, they're not going to put a regular season game anywhere else than SHC. LAFC would certainly risk having just as many Galaxy fans as theirs at a game at the Coliseum.

That's like saying the London EPL teams should have all their matches against each other at Wembley.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
15,527 Posts
I don't know what the MLS rules are on this but in the PL all home league matches must be played in the same stadium to ensure a level playing field for competitors across the season.

·
9,852 Posts
I don't know what the MLS rules are on this but in the PL all home league matches must be played in the same stadium to ensure a level playing field for competitors across the season.
MLS permits games in other venues provided it's declared in advance and the other team agrees, which they inevitably will do. But this only happens a handful of times per season, if that. (Mostly it's just been San Jose hosting a game or two at Stanford Stadium.) Hopefully in the future it won't be necessary but for now it's a way for the league and teams to maximize revenues when these special circumstances arise.

Neither the Galaxy or LAFC will have a home match against the rival at another stadium. Galaxy have hosted MLS Cups and didn't move them to the Rose Bowl or Coliseum, they're not going to put a regular season game anywhere else than SHC. LAFC would certainly risk having just as many Galaxy fans as theirs at a game at the Coliseum.
I wouldn't be too quick to turn off the idea. If both teams agree and they find that such events will make them both more money then they'd be foolish not to consider it. It's one thing to feel your own ground gives you a distinct advantage, but if you know both matches will be played in equally large venues and that both create the opportunity to expand your profits and exposure, then you need to go for it.

MLS Cups aren't exactly guaranteed draws for more than 30k, so the Stub can be fine in that occasion. Especially when LA is playing because in that one game the home field advantage is more critical.

I'm not saying it will happen, but if the clubs find that they could move 1 game per year and draw 50k plus to each, allowing them to add additional millions to their coffers, then I'm confident the owners would be receptive to the idea. As would the players and coaches.

That's like saying the London EPL teams should have all their matches against each other at Wembley.
The EPL comparison doesn't fit because those teams already have larger venues and make tons of money. They have no need for such occasions and the financial return wouldn't be the same.

Most MLS teams, however, play in venues seating 21k or less, so when they have an opportunity to play a game they know will draw 40-50k and have a means to do so that will make them more money, then they'd be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity. This is why San Jose has hosted past "California Clasicos" in larger stadiums, for instance. When your main media deal still pays you less than $5M per year you have to do what you can to maximize revenues, and there's nothing wrong with this approach.

·
Registered
17,030 Posts

Well, there you go: maximum of 22k attendance at the LAFC home matches against the Galaxy.

·
Registered
17,030 Posts
MLS permits games in other venues provided it's declared in advance and the other team agrees, which they inevitably will do. But this only happens a handful of times per season, if that. (Mostly it's just been San Jose hosting a game or two at Stanford Stadium.) Hopefully in the future it won't be necessary but for now it's a way for the league and teams to maximize revenues when these special circumstances arise.

I wouldn't be too quick to turn off the idea. If both teams agree and they find that such events will make them both more money then they'd be foolish not to consider it. It's one thing to feel your own ground gives you a distinct advantage, but if you know both matches will be played in equally large venues and that both create the opportunity to expand your profits and exposure, then you need to go for it.

MLS Cups aren't exactly guaranteed draws for more than 30k, so the Stub can be fine in that occasion. Especially when LA is playing because in that one game the home field advantage is more critical.

I'm not saying it will happen, but if the clubs find that they could move 1 game per year and draw 50k plus to each, allowing them to add additional millions to their coffers, then I'm confident the owners would be receptive to the idea. As would the players and coaches.

The EPL comparison doesn't fit because those teams already have larger venues and make tons of money. They have no need for such occasions and the financial return wouldn't be the same.

Most MLS teams, however, play in venues seating 21k or less, so when they have an opportunity to play a game they know will draw 40-50k and have a means to do so that will make them more money, then they'd be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity. This is why San Jose has hosted past "California Clasicos" in larger stadiums, for instance. When your main media deal still pays you less than $5M per year you have to do what you can to maximize revenues, and there's nothing wrong with this approach.
Agree. You can cite the law of gravity as something that doesn't change. But any rules made by MLS (or any other group of human beings) can change effective tomorrow morning. It would just be goofy not to allow 80k to watch a match if the demand is there. To say nothing of the press coverage.

·
Registered
17,030 Posts
Wow. More VC's than a fund-raiser at Meadowood. :lol:

But looks like the PR people have done a solid job. The theme is one city; one team. THE LA football club; in the community; where you live and work and play; a view of downtown; for everybody.

That other team is not even mentioned. It looks they may be saying "we're the LA team" and you're from the suburbs somewhere, not sure exactly where". Same approach Man City uses toward that other team out in the 'burbs.

The black and Dia de Los Muertos undertones work nicely for Latinos and LA generally and has street cred. The deco logos work for Hollywood. I wonder if zoot suits and the whole "no b/s from nobody" attitude is going to make a showing? I'd love to break mine out for a night match some time.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Funny you should mention that the same day we get new renderings of this deco beaut proposed for Sunset/Cahuenga.

As far as the skull imagery, this is commonly used among ultra supporter groups in Europe. The team colors fit nicely.

141 - 160 of 1223 Posts