Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently returned from a week's vacation in Portland, OR...I snapped a few photos on the plane's approach to LAX (a Southwest Boeing 737, if anyone's keeping track...)

Simi Valley (the 118 Freeway runs through the middle. You are looking towards the east.

Westwood and Century City; the 10/405 Interchange is bottom left.

Mid-Wilshire; the big empty lot is the former Ambassador Hotel site (LAUSD construction site). Koreatown is above it and the diagonal line towards the top is the 101 Freeway. East Hollywood and Los Feliz lie between the freeway and the mountains.

Staples Center and LALive!; the downtown Skyline.

You know what this is. :)

Civic Center and Little Tokyo

L.A. River and Union Station; Dodger Stadium is upper left.

The Eastside and the SGV. Foreground is the 10 Freeway and County-USC Medical Center. Mt. Wilson in the background. Damn it's hazy today.

The Alameda Corridor trench.

Metro Blue Line - Firestone Station.

"Race ya!"

The 110 Freeway.

Hollywood Park.

The 405 Freeway...ready to land!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Wow it sure was smoggy that day...... I like the way the freeways make a huge impact in the L.A. scene. Can't imagine not having them.

·
Banned
579 Posts
I recently returned from a week's vacation in Portland, OR...I snapped a few photos on the plane's approach to LAX (a Southwest Boeing 737, if anyone's keeping track...)

Simi Valley (the 118 Freeway runs through the middle. You are looking towards the east.

Westwood and Century City; the 10/405 Interchange is bottom left.

Mid-Wilshire; the big empty lot is the former Ambassador Hotel site (LAUSD construction site). Koreatown is above it and the diagonal line towards the top is the 101 Freeway. East Hollywood and Los Feliz lie between the freeway and the mountains.

Staples Center and LALive!; the downtown Skyline.

You know what this is. :)

Civic Center and Little Tokyo

L.A. River and Union Station; Dodger Stadium is upper left.

The Eastside and the SGV. Foreground is the 10 Freeway and County-USC Medical Center. Mt. Wilson in the background. Damn it's hazy today.

The Alameda Corridor trench.

Metro Blue Line - Firestone Station.

"Race ya!"

The 110 Freeway.

Hollywood Park.

The 405 Freeway...ready to land!
i hate LA from the air it looks pretty bad and hazy

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hate LA from the air it looks pretty bad and hazy
LOL, if I could control the weather, I wouldn't be here :)

Also, most people assume haze is the same thing as smog, when that's not necessarily so. Smog is the combination of SMoke and fOG. The haze you see is more in the fog column and occurs when there is cooler, moist air up above. Notice on hot, dry days it's not there.

·
Or is it?
10,769 Posts
It's not smog. It hasn't been smoggy lately either.
People are forgetting that Los Angeles is right next to the ocean. We get a lot of overcast/haze/marine layer

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ Quit your winning there... only cause you weren't allowed to go upstairs with 1st class on your previous trip, you don't have to ruin it for everyone else!

El: Are you sure that's not smog up there?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's NOT smog! It's the marine layer.
Thank you. It's a climactic condition that's unique to Los Angeles since we are open to the ocean, yet surrounded by mountains on the other sides. This has been happening for centuries before the first car was even driven in Los Angeles. The Spanish explorers who first saw the Los Angeles area from the ocean noted this phenomenon way back in the day.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...you know your not supposed to have any electronic devices turned on during take off and landing :bleep:
If I wore a pacemaker, would I have to turn that off too?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

The 110 Freeway.

!
And we are still in the process of increasing our density........sheesh!

·
Banned
579 Posts
oh yeah i forgot los angeles has that stupid marine layer how does that form anyway? how come the east coast never gets that

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh yeah i forgot los angeles has that stupid marine layer how does that form anyway? how come the east coast never gets that
Because there are no mountains in the east coast (or the ones that are there are a poor excuse for mountains :)) also most climactic winds blow eastward, which in your case is *towards* the ocean and not *from* the ocean.

I'm cracking up because the ignorant provincial-minded East Coast people think the weather is supposed to be the same all over the world! :lol: :lol: :lol:

One more for Antarctica! :lol:

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: "Elsong"!!!!:lol: :lol: ^^

·
Banned
579 Posts
Because there are no mountains in the east coast (or the ones that are there are a poor excuse for mountains :)) also most climactic winds blow eastward, which in your case is *towards* the ocean and not *from* the ocean.

I'm cracking up because the ignorant provincial-minded East Coast people think the weather is supposed to be the same all over the world! :lol: :lol: :lol:

One more for Antarctica! :lol:
k thanks btw i live in miami and our winds always come from the ocean so when the winds from the west and the winds from the east meet it forms a "seabreeze" which is a whole bunch of thunderstorms each and every afternoon in the summer but it only last for an hour or so sometimes more.

a little weather information :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts