SkyscraperCity banner

421 - 440 of 462 Posts

·
Administrator
30,055 Posts
I pray that LAX doesn't go the route of Heathrow with all of these mismatched hodgepodge terminals. I am baffled as to why they didn't try to match this look to the new Bradley Terminal expansion.
In the original plan it did.....but it was more expensive.

This was the original (and absolutely beautiful) master plan. As you can see the midfield concourse were of the same design, and instead of a connecting tunnel it featured a fantastic aerial double-decker passenger bridge. Also, notice that the planned APM was circular, it ran around the oval and not down the center like the final design.

This was wayyy more expensive.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
^^ Looks great! But I am happy with what has been / is being built. Biggest difference I see in the concept is the terminal structure where the Tomb Bradley parking is.

·
Administrator
30,055 Posts
Yeah, that was supposed to be a massive passenger terminus....I don't recall for what.

Instead now over the existing parking structure will be the people mover final stop. (notice the roofs of the APM stations a similar Tom Bradley design.

I go back and forth on the APM (people mover), I did like the circular plan because it was cleaner and it was going to stop at every single terminal. The current plan down the middle will requiere more walking (if you chose), tho I understand the bridges will have movers themselves....and it will shorten time for those going to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8.

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
I think you're showing your age :D and I see others have responded to what I practically was going to say.

It isn't 1950 anymore, airports are not just waiting rooms for taking flights anymore, and yes, as mentioned above, that's exactly why LAX even though it has always been a major US airport, was always ranked poorly by passengers. VERY POORLY.

You are thinking of an age when most flights were direct routes. You would go to an airport and fly to your destination. Today's flights and future ones are a web of connections, lay-overs and re-routes.

And again Pestie, this isn't Des Moines, Iowa....it's Hollywood, L.A., palm trees, Malibu, Venice Beach etc. and 40+ million tourists come here for those and many other reasons and you want to deny them last minute purchase of a palm tree themed fanny pack? :lol:
It's a slow day, so I'll address this. It sounds like you do support slowing down trials and other public services so that there are more opportunities to sell food, drink, lodging, etc., to trapped litigants, permit seekers, etc.? And if a bit more goes into your election campaign what's the harm in that?

You could hardly be more wrong about the LAX dynamic. What is happening is that the large chain retailers are using their influence with elected officials to make transit users stay longer, walk further and necessarily pass in front of their stores. This in effect converts public money into more profits for those retailers AND takes from the retailers working in the city streets in normal retail environments, parks, tourist areas, etc.

There is NO economic gain net/net; there is economic loss since the airport price-gougers generate sales by abusing a captive audience with ludicrously high prices and low quality.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It's a slow day, so I'll address this.
^^Is everyday a slow day? lol

Don't worry, I still like/listen to you. :)

I kinda agree with Kennie cuz its happened to me, at Ohare and New Orleans. Last minute souvenir. With officials saying "be there early", it gives you time to "look around".

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah, that was supposed to be a massive passenger terminus....I don't recall for what.

Instead now over the existing parking structure will be the people mover final stop. (notice the roofs of the APM stations a similar Tom Bradley design.

I go back and forth on the APM (people mover), I did like the circular plan because it was cleaner and it was going to stop at every single terminal. The current plan down the middle will requiere more walking (if you chose), tho I understand the bridges will have movers themselves....and it will shorten time for those going to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8.

They need to put a hotel right on top of one of those parking lots. A big one. Like Shanghai Pudong. After missing a flight and being stuck there overnight I was so happy that I could simply walk out the door and right into a hotel. To have to go through a transit nightmare to get to a hotel is still broken in all of this updating. A hotel. Right smack dab in the middle of all of that.

·
Administrator
30,055 Posts
^^^^ Sounds convenient, and it is, but security here is different than in Asia. Hotel shuttles at LAX will not be going away.

^^Is everyday a slow day? lol

Don't worry, I still like/listen to you. :)

I kinda agree with Kennie cuz its happened to me, at Ohare and New Orleans. Last minute souvenir. With officials saying "be there early", it gives you time to "look around".
:) I have a shelf with nick-knacks of everywhere I've been.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think you're showing your age :D and I see others have responded to what I practically was going to say.

It isn't 1950 anymore, airports are not just waiting rooms for taking flights anymore, and yes, as mentioned above, that's exactly why LAX even though it has always been a major US airport, was always ranked poorly by passengers. VERY POORLY.

You are thinking of an age when most flights were direct routes. You would go to an airport and fly to your destination. Today's flights and future ones are a web of connections, lay-overs and re-routes.
Completely agree that airports are no longer get in and get out affairs. There is a reason Singapore, HKG, Incheon are all highly rated year after year and it's because they make the experience pleasant for travelers. Whether you are just passing through or have a long layover or want to mingle around before your flight; the entire experience is nice. I would hate to have a long layover at LAX compared to Singapore!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
These arguments may have been valid 5 years ago, but have you guys flown our of LAX recently? Bradley is awesome, the remodeled terminals are nice and the food options we have now are top notch. Once everything is done, the airport will be amazing and still compact, which i love

·
Registered
759 Posts
These arguments may have been valid 5 years ago, but have you guys flown our of LAX recently? Bradley is awesome, the remodeled terminals are nice and the food options we have now are top notch. Once everything is done, the airport will be amazing and still compact, which i love
I was a road warrior for many years so have seen more of LAX than I care to admit. Horrible experience inside and dreary, but it has always been easy to get in and out of which I liked (given the horseshoe shape). I've traveled through Bradley many times also, and love what they've done to it but you literally will never see it unless you fly out to a Dubai or some other such place. What's there needs to be duplicated in every single terminal. Sure what they've done to terminal 1 etc is better but it is no Bradley like makeovers. I know that it is coming but we are at least 20 years behind Hong Kong, Incheon, Dubai, Beijing and Haneda, etc. Stunningly so. Inexcusable given the traffic out of it and high profile of our city. Hell even Mumbai, India airport puts ours to shame. Heathrow is a mess from the outside but inside it is nice like what we need at LAX.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I was a road warrior for many years so have seen more of LAX than I care to admit. Horrible experience inside and dreary, but it has always been easy to get in and out of which I liked (given the horseshoe shape). I've traveled through Bradley many times also, and love what they've done to it but you literally will never see it unless you fly out to a Dubai or some other such place. What's there needs to be duplicated in every single terminal. Sure what they've done to terminal 1 etc is better but it is no Bradley like makeovers. I know that it is coming but we are at least 20 years behind Hong Kong, Incheon, Dubai, Beijing and Haneda, etc. Stunningly so. Inexcusable given the traffic out of it and high profile of our city. Hell even Mumbai, India airport puts ours to shame. Heathrow is a mess from the outside but inside it is nice like what we need at LAX.
I mean yes, we were late to the party, but the entire airport is under renovation, they are building or planning on building 3.5 new terminals and the people mover is under construction.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I mean yes, we were late to the party, but the entire airport is under renovation, they are building or planning on building 3.5 new terminals and the people mover is under construction.
Better late than never. I still have a burr up my saddle about them allowing taxi cabs to block the trains from entering the airport. That Imperial Blvd station stop says it all. However progress. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the changes. If I had a magic wand though, I'd insist on them making all of these new terminals "look" similar aesthetically. I mentioned it earlier, I just don't want to see a mishmash of different designs all over the place. But that is less important I suppose than functionality. Terminals 0 and 9 are intriguing. That airport will be massive once complete. Similar article in Urbanize. I always find the comments interesting.

https://urbanize.la/post/lax-plans-...il&utm_term=0_f2c8779a36-67fd2ffdf4-199386701

I didn't realize these existed since I'm not an Apple TV person but these aerials of LAX are impressive. I saw one of DT LA also but it isn't in this article unfortunately but this view gives a really good view of where the two new terminals will go. Either LA day 1 or LA day 2...

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/...ains-21-new-videos-watch-them-all-right-here/

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If I had a magic wand though, I'd insist on them making all of these new terminals "look" similar aesthetically. I mentioned it earlier, I just don't want to see a mishmash of different designs all over the place. But that is less important I suppose than functionality.
I'm honestly not sure what "different designs" you're referring to. LAX is overseeing the construction/design of the airport's facilities, and has established pretty strict architectural guidelines as the various airlines begin their respective renovation projects of existing terminals. So the new terminals are certain to fit with the general look of LAX as well.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Building a world class terminal: Delta employees, partners mark the start of demolition at LAX

Demolition has officially started on Terminal 3 at Los Angeles International Airport, commencing the first phase of construction on the $1.86 billion Delta Sky Way project.​

Delta employees along with representatives from Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA), contractor Hensel Phelps, and design firms Gensler and Arup gathered for a celebratory event to mark the milestone in the project, which will modernize, upgrade and connect Terminals 2, 3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal (Terminal B). The event was held in an area of the terminal that is now closed to the public as construction gets underway and included a ceremonial wall demolition. Attendees also signed a steel girder that will be placed in the final facility.

Delta leaders, including Mary Loeffelholz, Vice President – LAX Corporate Real Estate; John Fechushak, Vice President – LAX Operations; and Scott Santoro, Vice President – Los Angeles and West Sales; were in attendance and recognized the airline's LA-based employees for the role they play in taking care of customers during the construction and bringing the final facility to life.

Delta is investing $1.86 billion to create the airport facility our customers, employees and this city deserve and that will serve Angelenos for decades to come," Loeffelholz said. "As demolition commences, it's important to recognize that our employees are critical to the success of this project. They take care of our customers each day and will continue to have our customers' backs during construction."

"LAWA is excited to partner with Delta Air Lines to build world-class facilities that will enrich the experience for all who visit LAX," said LAWA Chief Innovation & Technology Officer Justin Erbacci. "By integrating new technologies and the best of passenger amenities, we can create an exceptional guest experience that is safe, efficient and enjoyable."

Soft demolition is underway on the central headhouse, which is the facility that houses check-in, baggage claim, the security screening checkpoint and more. The building will be demolished in July 2019, while excavation of the facility will be underway this fall. The Delta Sky Way project kicked off in May 2018, following the LAWA Board of Airport Commissioners' approval of the largest tenant improvement award in its history. The funding approval was followed by a series of projects that enabled the larger demolition and construction to begin, such as the relocation of the Terminal 3 security screening checkpoint in fall 2018, setup of the temporary bus gates, and realignment of jet bridges. Delta partnered with the Satterfield & Pontikes and STV joint venture for much of the enabling work.

When completed, the modern facility will offer more security screening capacity with automated security lanes, more gate-area seating, and a world-class concession program in partnership with Westfield Corporation, in addition to all the amenities that Delta's customers have come to expect at LAX, including Delta ONE at LAX check-in space, new Delta Sky Club, and an integrated in-line baggage system.

Several key components of the project will be complete by the end of 2021, including the centralized lobby between Terminals 2 and 3; the centralized security screening area; consolidated baggage claim area; the new 25,000 sq. ft. Delta Sky Club with a Sky Deck overlooking Terminals 2 and 3; and the Terminal 3 concourse. The remaining components, including the secure connector between Terminals 3 and B and the renovated Terminal 3 satellite, will be complete by the end of 2023.
https://news.delta.com/building-wor...-employees-partners-mark-start-demolition-lax

·
Administrator
30,055 Posts
So, with the addition of T9 and Concourse 0, extensive road reconfiguration will have to be done for Sepulveda Blvd and Century Blvd.

Behold...

421 - 440 of 462 Posts