SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena

Opened In July 1959, notable tenants of the arena have included the UCLA Bruins basketball team (1959-1965), the USC Trojans basketball team (1959-2006), the Los Angeles Lakers (NBA) (1960–1967), the Los Angeles Kings (NHL) (1967), the Los Angeles Stars (ABA) (1968–1970), and the Los Angeles Clippers (NBA) (1984–1999). The arena also hosted the 1963 NBA All-Star Game, the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four twice (1968 and 1972), host of WrestleMania 2 (with Nassau Coliseum and Rosemont Horizon) and WrestleMania 7, the 1960 Democratic National Convention, and the boxing events of the 1984 Summer Olympics.

Sometime during the 2000s, the Sports Arena underwent a renovation to bring it up to 21st century seismic standards.

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably feel like the Los Angeles area no longer needs the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena. A reason: The Los Angeles area already has several other large indoor arenas, like the Inglewood Forum, Staples Center, Galen Center, and Pauley Pavilion. Dismantle the old Sports Arena and start fresh with a new building.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
I have fond memories of this place despite not ever seeing a game here. It was the site of Together As One (a rave during New Years Eve) that I went for a few years in a row. I'm in there somewhere.

I completely understand the connection that people can have with stadiums as they can be the site of many memories both good and bad. The LA Sports Arena, at least for me, will always be important to me as I have nothing but good memories of this place. Totally understand why it needs to go and I totally welcome the Banc of California Stadium but I'll always love this place for bringing me lots of happiness during a very unique time in my life. Made lifelong friends here. Sad to see it go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An iconic venue among wrestling fans from the early 90s with WWF Wrestlemania 7. I would post an image of how it was beautifully decorated with the gulf war I only recently over and patriotism at an all-time high, but my post count isn't high enough yet.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I find it inresting that the size of Wrestlemania venue's go up and down so much. How do you go from 90K in the first 3 or 4 years and back to regular arenas?

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
I find it inresting that the size of Wrestlemania venue's go up and down so much. How do you go from 90K in the first 3 or 4 years and back to regular arenas?
As a wrestling fan, wrestling has peaks and valleys. Right now, we are in a sort of resurgence. Especially in the UK. They need a Wrestlemainia at Wembley.

Fun fact: Wrestlemania 7 was supposed to be at the LA Coliseum. It was moved to the Sports Arena because (the WWE version of the story) is that since WM 7 took place during Desert Storm, they felt that such a large gathering would be a 'terrorist target.' What actually happened is that they were having trouble selling tickets (as the Coliseum is simply too large to sell out). 20k people at the Sports Arena is fine. 20k people at the LA Coliseum would look terrible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts