SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about the MTA's plans to have both the Expo line and Gold line extension projects to be completed by 2010, but I was wondering if anyone has any info about any future Los Angeles mass transit projects that are in the works. Light rail to Westwood? Metrolink train expansions to the Temecula Valley? anything exciting?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I think metro.net has a long range plan in a PDF format. Its on the website somewhere.

Some other possible lines in the near future

Red Line extension to UCLA,
Green Line extension both directions
Gold Line Extension from Pasadena 24 miles east to Montclair (2012 i think)
LAX - Union Station Express
Downtown Connector
Silver Line

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thanks.. I've visited metro.net before but I couldn't find much on their site regarding future plans. but wow.. a 24 mile extension to Monctlair. why they would need this is beyond me, seeing as Montclair is already a metrolink train stop. I'm really big on the topic of the metrolink, since I ride it back and forth between home (Temecula) and school (USC) every so often. I am really annoyed that they have mentioned no real plans for extending trains to the Temecula Valley where I live. There have been talks of extending it to Moreno Valley but thats still not that close. If I want to go home by train, I have to take the metrolink to Riverside or Corona, then take the (slow) commuter bus from there to Temecula. It'll be a glorious day when the folks at metrolink decide to take action upon this. I'm tired of Temecula being an exurb!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was just up in the Bay Area and every time I'm there I just can't figure out why the MTA doesn't do more elevated lines a la the BART (particularly in the East Bay). So much cheaper than more subway work. The wonderful Silver Line concept, and a Red Line extention to Santa Monica, would be great places to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
light rail to the westside and a downtown trolley

Yes, the funding was approved yesterday, here's an excerpt from the press release:

The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board of Directors today approved a $640 million full funding plan for construction of the Exposition Light Rail Transit Project, which would operate from downtown Los Angeles to Venice/Robertson Boulevards in Culver City. The plan includes the use of local funding instead of federal New Starts funding, thereby keeping the project on an accelerated schedule for a June 2010 completion.
<snip>
The 9.6-mile Exposition light rail line will share common track and two stations (7th St./Metro Center and Pico/Chick Hearn) with the Metro Blue Line as it leaves downtown Los Angeles. Just south of downtown the line will proceed west on the Metro-owned rail right-of-way on Exposition Boulevard, which parallels the heavily congested I-10 Freeway, with a terminus at Venice/Robertson.

Approximately eight new stations will be constructed between downtown L.A. and Culver City. A future second phase would extend the Exposition line to the City of Santa Monica.
Yesterday was a busy day. In addition to the light rail project, downtown Los Angeles could get a trolley! Woo hoo! The City Council today the funding of a study for the feasibility of bringing back a Red Car-type trolley back to
Downtown. The study, which is funded by a grant provided by Downtown's Congresswoman, Lucille Roybal-Allard, will determine whether or not a trolley system with a fixed route as a circulator and tourism magnet could work. As many of you know, the Red and Yellow Car trolley system was a staple in Los Angeles since the turn of the century and were removed from service in the 60's as car traffic took over. The study will commence in May and should by completed by the end of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts