·
Registered
1,603 Posts

USC Trojans

College
9x Champion:
1931, 1932, 1962, 1967, 1972,
1974, 1978, 2003, 2004

Rumor is that the two Los Angeles teams might be playing a couple of Spring Training games at the Coliseum. Back in the early 60s, this is where the Dodgers originally played, before Dodger Stadium was built.

(ballparkdigest)

Think about it - 80,000 to 90,000 people watching a baseball game, if they sell all sections? When was the last time there was a crowd that big? That would be incredible if they could pull it off again.

Also, there's hopefully at least a few Spring Training games scheduled for play in China's baseball stadium, and a season-opening regular series game in Japan, likely at the Tokyo Dome.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Baseball was king but they've fallen a long way.

I think the main reason the NFL's (and to a lesser extent soccer and NASCAR) popularity has surged is that it hasn't shot itself in the foot like the other three "majors" have.

But, if they take a super aggressive stance on the drugs cheaters (similar to soccer and cycling's year long ban policy) they could win a lot of fans back.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
The Coliseum smelled as a baseball venue because

1. Only a small fraction of its 93,000 seats were close to the baseball diamond
2. It could poorly accommodate a baseball diamond since it was built for football.
3. The L.A. Ddogers would have played across town at Wrigley Field, where the Anaheim Angels played during 1961

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only reason that the Dodgers chose the Coliseum over both the Rose Bowl & LA Wrigley Field was it's spectator capacity. Then Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley saw big dollars in having his team playing at the 100,000 seat Coliseum and he was rewarded. Even though it proved the worst venue possible in terms of it's field dimensions, the LA fans voted with their feet.

One wonders what Dodger Stadium would be like today if they had built a Cleveland Municipal Stadium size ballpark instead of the 56,000 seat Dodger Stadium? Obviously LA had/has the market for it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Baseball was king but they've fallen a long way.

I think the main reason the NFL's (and to a lesser extent soccer and NASCAR) popularity has surged is that it hasn't shot itself in the foot like the other three "majors" have.

But, if they take a super aggressive stance on the drugs cheaters (similar to soccer and cycling's year long ban policy) they could win a lot of fans back.
I'm not really into the popularities the North American major sports, but why have NBA, NHL and MLB fallen a long way according to you? And isn't it funny how NFL is by far the most popular sport in the USA, but that it's probably the least popular of the four major sports outside North America?

·
Registered
78 Posts
According to ballparks of baseball Dimensions: 250-L, 425-C, 301-R (original) 252-L, 420-C, 300-R (final).
Seems there was a wall going across the wall on closer looking as it looked a huge distance in the outfield to the far stands as first.

·
PQS
3,585 Posts
looks like there is a net version of the green monster on the left field so any home run would have to clear it? If it is dont know what happens when it hits the net as it wouldnt bounce off so would be hard to play it!

·
4,117 Posts
left field was 250 feet away and there was a 47 foot net i think. The Dodgers would draw over 92,000 for a few games, and i think they would sell out the Colosieum when they play the Angels there. It would be fun to see. The homers over the net were called "moon shots" after a Dodger player who would hit them regularly. forgot his name.

·
Administrator
29,235 Posts
Ohh I was there Saturday, we are big fans. I took my brother, his gf and my niece.

We drove there and the mood all around the Coliseum was festive, Dodger Blue everywhere, on every sidewalk, corner, in every possible business parking lot, gas station you name it.

I've been to many opening days, this felt better.

Walking up to that huge old gray lady of venue, and seeing it all decked out in Dodger flags was an experince.

We sat half way up behind the "screen monster".

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
I presume that you mean that this is a record baseball crowd - not a world record crowd for any sporting event?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The record crowd eclipsed the previous world record crowd for a baseball game which was set in December 1956 at the Olympic Games in Melbourne, Australia. On that day a reported 104,000 people (some records say 114,000) saw a game at the main stadium (Melbourne Cricket Ground) between Australia & an American Services team.

Either way, 115,300 is not only the largest MLB crowd ever but a definite world record for any baseball game.

Well done to the Dodgers, Red Sox and the people of LA who turned up.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
More surprisingly, it was just a demonstration match not a regular one and being a Korean, it meant something to me that a Korean pitcher of LA Dodgers started this historic game hahaha... I wish LA Dodgers could win world series this season.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Good point!
Any answer?
I haven't been to American baseball stadiums but as one of baseball fans, baseball has few all-seater stadiums in Korea - I mean most of baseball stadiums can sell tickets a little beyond the number of their seats in Korea and I think the same applies to American baseball stadiums.

But I don't know the reason for it. Maybe a kind of baseball tradition?

1 - 20 of 1842 Posts