SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 1843 Posts

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
How do you fit 115,000 into a 92,516 capacity stadium???
The LA Coliseum has a track circling the field. They just added some seats along the track. Also, many baseball stadiums here in the US have additional seats and/or grassy areas for people to sit and watch the game.

The LA Coliseum is not ment for baseball however. It is for all accounts a football field. But seeing as how the Dodgers most likely will never play at the Coliseum again, they wanted to stuff as many people as they could.

I mean compare where the Dodgers play now (Dodger Stadium):

And the LA Coliseum:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The LA Coliseum has a track circling the field. They just added some seats along the track. Also, many baseball stadiums here in the US have additional seats and/or grassy areas for people to sit and watch the game.

The LA Coliseum is not ment for baseball however. It is for all accounts a football field. But seeing as how the Dodgers most likely will never play at the Coliseum again, they wanted to stuff as many people as they could.

I mean compare where the Dodgers play now (Dodger Stadium):

And the LA Coliseum:
I read in newspaper that the distance from home plate to left side fence was so close(around 76 meters) that ordinary fly balls were turned to be homers. As far as I know that distance will be suitable for baseball field on amateur or teenager level :lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Administrator
29,554 Posts
How do you fit 115,000 into a 92,516 capacity stadium???
:lol:

Let's clear all this up.

The Coliseum has, like you said, the capacity for 92,516 SEATS.

There are NO SEATS in front of and under the famous arches and cauldron, those are cement benches/steps.

The Dodgers sold those as the most economic tickets for the event, bringing the total to 115,300.

AH! NavyBlue The Coliseum used to have an athletic track. But it was removed and the field sunk 11 feet back in 1993.

That is why the "baseball" field was so much short this time around then back in the 4 years the Dodgers played there. (1958-1961)

This picture shows the cement steps that are not usually used for seating.
That's where the orchestra sat in the 1984 Olympics.

The track was covered with dirt in 1958-1961

The track is barely visible in this shot form the opening ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics

·
Registered
840 Posts
it's more of an american record than a world record though as baseball is not really a worldwide sport well not a popular one apart from the usa,canada japan and mexico still a great crowd though none the less.By the way one of the shots there of the 84 olympics(my favourite olympics to) simply stunning

·
Under Construction
541 Posts
:lol:

Let's clear all this up.

The Coliseum has, like you said, the capacity for 92,516 SEATS.

There are NO SEATS in front of and under the famous arches and cauldron, those are cement benches/steps.

The Dodgers sold those as the most economic tickets for the event, bringing the total to 115,300.
Thanks for that. I thought as much but it's still hard to picture 23,000 people packed in the end you described. The area just doesn't look big enough for that many patrons.

Is there any photo's of that end of the stadium during the game?

·
Administrator
29,554 Posts
I love the first picture! It was amazing in person.

But that last one of downtown L.A. isn't from the Coliseum, thats from Chavez Ravine,....Dodger Stadium's parking lot.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
it's more of an american record than a world record though as baseball is not really a worldwide sport well not a popular one apart from the usa,canada japan and mexico still a great crowd though none the less.By the way one of the shots there of the 84 olympics(my favourite olympics to) simply stunning
If it's the largest crowd to ever watch a game, anywhere in the world, then it's a world record.

·
Registered
954 Posts
still hard to belive how you pack 23,000 in the torch end,, i mean a have been to the coliseum several times, and that end is much more smaller than the rest of the stadium,,, maybe by counting the persons that are "standing" on the unused part of the
playing ground behind central and right field.
my guess is that the concrete steeps on the small end of the stadium can hold 12,000 to 14,000 tops,,, still an amazing crowd for baseball,,,

i remember when San Diego used to play in front of 68000 at qualcomm stadium playoff games, incredible athmosphere that was..

·
Registered
840 Posts
If it's the largest crowd to ever watch a game, anywhere in the world, then it's a world record.
your right dude it is a world record for baseball only.The largest attendance for a football(soccer for you guys lol) match ever was 199,854 people - Brazil v. Uruguay in the World Cup at the Maracana Municipal Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, July 1950.And the uk highest for a football match was Scotland v England, 1937, 149,547 ppl.but i'm takin this off topic sorry,anyway still an impressive attendence and pics back it up to pretty damn good

21 - 40 of 1843 Posts