SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

New Design for the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art
The $1-billion museum from Star Wars creator George Lucas will rise in Exposition Park.

by STEVEN SHARP on May 04, 2017, 3:12PM
In January, Angelenos were elated to discover that Star Wars creator George Lucas has selected Exposition Park as the future site of his Museum of Narrative Art. An upcoming presentation to the Los Angeles City Planning Commission has unveiled new renderings for the $1-billion project, suggesting changes from the initial designs presented last year.

Slated for two city-owned parking lots on Vermont Avenue south of Exposition Boulevard, the museum would take the form of a four-story, 115-foot tall building featuring 300,000 square feet of floor area. Plans call for a vacation of 39th Street between Vermont Avenue and Bill Robertson Lane, allowing for the construction of an underground parking garage across the site featuring more than 2,400 vehicle spaces. The subterranean garage levels would be capped with 11 acres of public green space.

The design from Chinese architect Ma Yansong has evolved to beome more compact than the sinewy images last seen in January.

Construction of the Lucas Museum is expected to occur over approximately three years, beginning in January 2018 and finishing by 2021.
(emphasis mine)

http://urbanize.la/post/new-design-lucas-museum-narrative-art (full article and additional renders there)

Time for a thread, this project is finally starting to pick up steam! It's been quite the odyssey for Lucas to find a home for his museum of "Narrative Art". According to the Museum's mission, narrative art is "art that tells a story". And that can mean anything from movies like Star Wars, to Norman Rockwell paintings to ancient Greek vases of Spartans ready for battle.

The museum will open with George Lucas' ("Star Wars"/"Indiana Jones") personal collection and expand from there. And suffice to say, the way the Museum ended up in LA is a loooong story. Here's the LA Times article announcing LA's landing of the Museum:

Los Angeles will be home to George Lucas' $1-billion museum

Long story short in bullet point form:
- Lucas originally wanted to build in San Francisco on the water. SF told him to take a hike.
- Lucas and his wife then moved onto Chicago, where they worked out a deal with the city government to build the Museum on the shores of Lake Michigan, on a parking lot adjacent to the Chicago Bears' Soldier Field.
- That drew the ire of "Friends of the Park", essentially a NIMBY organization that fought the museum tooth and nail. The Museum also seemed to become a pressure point against Chicago mayor Rahm Emmanuel, who was facing backlash from his constituents.
- After a protracted fight with Friends of the Park, Lucas threw in the towel and got the heck out of the Windy City (for the record the parking lot FOP was fighting to protect for parkland? It's still a parking lot.)
- Lucas came back to California and put the final decision between San Francisco and Los Angeles. And LA, with the enthusiastic work of Mayor Eric Garcetti, won the bid and landed the Museum!

And so the Museum of Narrative Arts has landed next to the Coliseum in Exposition Park. Appropriate in a way as the USC School of Cinematic Arts, Lucas' film school alma mater, is next door. Here is a photo from Urbanize LA showing the current status of the land:

(the dirt plot in the background is the new soccer Banc of California Stadium)

And here is how it will look when completed in 2021:

These details come from a pdf of an upcoming presentation to the Los Angeles City Planning Commission, a link to which is available on the Urbanize.la website. In the meantime here are schematics and floor plans for the Museum from the presentation. Enjoy! :cheers:

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So while the Museum has had a lot of different locations, it's maintained the same architects. The Beijing-based firm MAD, led by architect Ma Yansong, is designing the Museum. Here are some examples of his work:

Harbin Opera House - China

Absolute Towers - Canada

Ma and MAD were responsible for the museum design in the last two locations as well. Here are the previous proposals:

Chicago

San Francisco (top)/Los Angeles 1st iteration (bottom)

And then we ended up with the latest design!

Personally I love Ma's work, though I understand he inspires strong passions. It's architecture that you very much either love or hate. Regardless I'm very excited to have this jewel in Expo Park! :cheers:

For more info on the architect, here is a great article from the website Dezeen about the original LA and San Francisco plans:

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/10/27/mad-ma-yansong-competing-george-lucas-museum-designs-san-francisco-los-angeles/

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are what I am guessing are more finalized renders for the finished look of the museum, from the museum website(h/t user MarshallKnight):

from the Lucas Museum website here: http://lucasmuseum.org/media-room

my two cents: I like it! The white is much cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing than the gray exterior, at least imo. Not a fan of the purple vegetation on the roof though, but "your mileage may vary". Regardless it's looking better and better! :cheers:

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this has been dormant for awhile... but we're now pushing dirt! :banana:

The $1-Billion Lucas Museum of Narrative Art is Getting Ready to Break Ground
George Lucas' legacy project should open by 2021.

by STEVEN SHARP on February 12, 2018, 10:00AM
photos by HUNTER KERHART
One year after Los Angeles unexpectedly won the right to host the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, the spaceship-like project is now ready to push dirt in Exposition Park.

Protective fencing now encircles the site of filmmaker George Lucas' $1-billion legacy project, which replaces two parking lots at the intersection of 39th Street and Vermont Avenue. The eventual four-story, 115-foot-tall building will feature roughly 300,000 square feet of floor area, dedicated to exhibition space for Lucas' 10,000-piece collection, a library, two theaters, classrooms, and offices. Parking for 2,400 vehicles will be provided within a basement garage.

Chinese architect Ma Yansong designed the futuristic, otherworldly museum, which will feature a skin of undulating metal panels, topped with landscaped terraces.

Additionally, plans call for approximately 11 acres of new public open space wrapping around the property. An existing soccer field which occupied a part of the museum site has already been relocated south to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, and is currently being excavated for the proposed garage.
http://urbanize.la/post/1-billion-lucas-museum-narrative-art-getting-ready-break-ground

So the project will take over the three parking lots in the top photo: the dirt lot in the foreground and the two parking lots behind it. Looks like their are already barricades ready to be placed around the site and some construction equipment in the furthest lot.

Time to change this to prep, so exciting! :cheers:

·
Registered
16,990 Posts
Interesting, just today I went to the Lucas website to see when they planned to start! Btw, they have a rendering there of the completed Lucas, with the Coliseum looking like it did 2 months ago and a rough stab at BOC's look behind it.

The timing worked out well since BOC is about 2 months from being done.

It's also interesting that the Lucas is costing 4 times or so as much as BOC. I guess parametrics still aren't cheap to build.

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like today is the official Groundbreaking date of the Museum:

Lucas Museum of Narrative Art: New renderings released ahead of Wednesday groundbreaking
By DEBORAH VANKIN

When the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art officially breaks ground Wednesday in Los Angeles’ Exposition Park, the photo op will include not only filmmaker George Lucas but also the newest model of his forthcoming building.

The museum also is releasing new renderings of the design, shown here, by Ma Yansong of MAD Architects.

Among those scheduled to be on hand with ceremonial shovels at the groundbreaking: Lucas; his wife, Ariel Investments President Mellody Hobson, a guiding force in museum planning; Mayor Eric Garcetti; and L.A. County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas.

“There’s been some pre-construction, soil samples, things like that,” the museum’s founding president, Don Bacigalupi, said in an interview. “But this is the big, monumental moment.”

It’s a moment that’s been more than a decade in the making, as Lucas considered sites in San Francisco and Chicago but wrestled with community opposition.

“So this is a milestone in the life of the museum,” Bacigalupi said. “We’re very excited to be breaking ground in South L.A. And I think George is very energized to get to this point and begin to make the museum real.”
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-lucas-museum-groundbreaking-20180314-htmlstory.html

And the new renderings! :cheers: Looks like a refined exterior one, one from the lobby and one from perhaps the roof:

Hopefully we'll get some more info soon :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
What is "The Valley"?

Is it the area between the NHM?

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is "The Valley"?

Is it the area between the NHM?

Yep sure looks like it! At first I thought it was a garden on the roof, but you can see the Natural History Museum in the background.

As a quick aside, the LANHM will be getting a renovation to complement the new Lucas Museum. This will involve not only a new Exhibit building, but a reshaping of the entrance next to the Lucas Museum to make it more accessible from there:

https://la.curbed.com/2017/10/18/16498520/natural-history-museum-los-angeles-renovations

Another ancillary benefit for Exposition Park from the new Lucas Museum of Narrative Art. Thank you Mr. Lucas! :cheers:

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more additional new render; this time of the exterior at night:

Looks fantastic! I think this is going to be THE go to facility for galas/fundraisers/what have you

·
Stadium Lover
420 Posts
Wow another museum. Exposition Park Dr. was jam packed full of school buses today. Makes you wonder how they will fit more museum goers.

I flew my drone near here while I was filming the Coliseum and Banc of CA. A lot of excavation and a convoy of dirt haulers constantly going in and out of the site (kind of similar to the early stages of Inglewood Stadium) I'll go through some of the footage and try to post something on here real soon. Wish I could have filmed more but my phone over heated. It was 96˚ didn't realize it was going to get this hot today!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Kind of wish there was more images of the actual gallery spaces.. I mean I don't mind the museum but it looks kind of sparce from what its going to contain on the inside...

·
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kind of wish there was more images of the actual gallery spaces.. I mean I don't mind the museum but it looks kind of sparce from what its going to contain on the inside...
I agree! So far we've only gotten the lobby as far as interior renders go. It looks great as do the exteriors, but yeah I'd love to see at least ONE render of how all these Rockwell paintings, Comic Strips, works by Degas and Star Wars props will be put on display.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts