SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
very exciting project sometimes reminds me of the bottom of a high end athletic shoe, in a cool way of course.

How does everyone feel about the location and how it will change the area for the better?

·
I have anacrophobia.
62 Posts
I like the feel of this project but not the explicit look. Definitely too shoe-like, just like Gehry's Fondation looks like the butt of a duck. Duck butt. No good...

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
True, wonder where they get their inspirations. Of course a star architect can do no wrong :)
Sometimes the problem is in the eye (or brain) of the beholder.

There are a number of polls of architects, critics and professors of design that rank Gehry as the best living architect, the best of modern times and even some that call him the best that ever lived.

This is based on his innovation in form and space in his early career; on innovation in lay-out and interpenetrating spaces in his later work; his re-conceptualizing industrial and non-traditional spaces into live and work space; and his use of computer design to allow for use of new materials and complex shaping to imply movement and the effects of natural processes (e.g., development and decay).

Of course, to you it looks like a duck butt.

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
very exciting project sometimes reminds me of the bottom of a high end athletic shoe, in a cool way of course.

How does everyone feel about the location and how it will change the area for the better?
Expo Park is going through rapid development now with the Olympics on their way. The Coliseum, museums, new BOC Stadium and work along Figueroa and at USC are transforming the area. The Lucas adds to that process but was not part of the original plans.

·
Registered
280 Posts

There are a number of polls of architects, critics and professors of design that rank Gehry as the best living architect, the best of modern times and even some that call him the best that ever lived.

This is based on his innovation in form and space in his early career; on innovation in lay-out and interpenetrating spaces in his later work; his re-conceptualizing industrial and non-traditional spaces into live and work space; and his use of computer design to allow for use of new materials and complex shaping to imply movement and the effects of natural processes (e.g., development and decay).

I didn't call it a duck butt at all, see above. What do you mean "of course" to me...??

You seem like an ardent fan of his. He certainly is the most innovative architect of this generation and maybe the last half century. Guggenheim Bilbao knocked my socks off, but interior spaces were a bit challenging for curators. His redesign of Toronto's Art Gallery of Toronto has some stunning iconic elements (canoe shaped façade), but overall it does not stand out for design excellence as many other of his projects.

I really like the man, when I met him years ago, he was so humble and warm, explained the inspiration for his titanium fish-scale panels.

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
I didn't call it a duck butt at all, see above. What do you mean "of course" to me...??

You seem like an ardent fan of his. He certainly is the most innovative architect of this generation and maybe the last half century. Guggenheim Bilbao knocked my socks off, but interior spaces were a bit challenging for curators. His redesign of Toronto's Art Gallery of Toronto has some stunning iconic elements (canoe shaped façade), but overall it does not stand out for design excellence as many other of his projects.

I really like the man, when I met him years ago, he was so humble and warm, explained the inspiration for his titanium fish-scale panels.
Sorry if I misunderstood. Yes, fish scales are a frequent source of inspiration for him. There is a short film by Sydney Pollack that is readily available if you want to see some of his influences and the ideas behind some leading works.

If you want a deep dive, the Program to the Gehry Exhibition at the Pompidou is very good at pointing out what was innovative about dozens of his works, although it is quite academic in its approach.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Gehry is an abomination and every building he's ever built should be knocked down. He ruins places with his "Melted sticks of butter" architecture.

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
Gehry is an abomination and every building he's ever built should be knocked down. He ruins places with his "Melted sticks of butter" architecture.
We are all born ignorant; staying ignorant is a choice.

Have you ever seen his many residences or, say, Loyola Law School? They are exercises in careful massing and juxtaposition. Nothing to do with melted anything. Firm and solid.

But we should stop talking about Gehry; the Lucas is is by MAD, which is Beijing based.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
This is a Nubian.

J-type 327 Nubian royal starship to be exact.

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
This is a Nubian.

J-type 327 Nubian royal starship to be exact.
It was pretty much inevitable that this building would have Star War connections. It was almost too easy for the architects to go that route but, after all, it's an area with children's attractions, sports venues and museums, and in the same city as Hollywood.

You don't want to commit the sin of "understatement". :lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Look at his body of work again and tell me he is not innovative, not a brave and dramatic departure. Some people like to joke that his architecture is crumpled up paper that is then digitized and voila! But look closely at the massing of these shapes, no accident but carefully refined design....but also look at his projects from the beginning.

In a world where value engineering largely dictates design, his light whimsical shapes (and yes fish scales which have morphed into sails have become his fave motif) are a breath of fresh air and a counterpoint to so much rectilinear stodginess. Check out his Louis Vuitton centre in Paris, evokes the feel of the glass halls or ferrovitreous architecture of the 19th century in all its glory.

There's always been something light, ephemeral and makeshift about his architecture that I found unique such as Norton Beach house that used chainlink fencing and corrugated tin that you can get at a Home Depot.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Look at his body of work again and tell me he is not innovative, not a brave and dramatic departure. Some people like to joke that his architecture is crumpled up paper that is then digitized and voila! But look closely at the massing of these shapes, no accident but carefully refined design....but also look at his projects from the beginning.

In a world where value engineering largely dictates design, his light whimsical shapes (and yes fish scales which have morphed into sails have become his fave motif) are a breath of fresh air and a counterpoint to so much rectilinear stodginess. Check out his Louis Vuitton centre in Paris, evokes the feel of the glass halls or ferrovitreous architecture of the 19th century in all its glory.

There's always been something light, ephemeral and makeshift about his architecture that I found unique such as Norton Beach house that used chainlink fencing and corrugated tin that you can get at a Home Depot.
If I look closely at Gehry's crap it just makes me angrier ... they are visually offensive.

And Louis Vuitton shouldn't have a "Center"

61 - 80 of 93 Posts