SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

The $1-Billion Lucas Museum's Steel Skeleton Takes Shape
George Lucas's legacy project is rising on Vermont Ave.

FEBRUARY 18, 2020, 7:00AM KATIE D'ANNA

Four cranes are standing tall in Exposition Park, as the steel framework begins to take shape for the $1-billion Lucas Museum of Narrative Art.

The five-story museum is the legacy project of American filmmaker George Lucas, who is best known for creating the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises. The 300,000-square-foot building will house exhibition space for Lucas' 100,000-piece collection of paintings, sculptures, photographs, comic art, illustrations, and other forms of art related to movies. The facility will also contain a library, two theaters, two restaurants, classrooms and office space.

The futuristic structure is being designed by Chinese architect Ma Yansong. The project will also feature open space on terrace levels atop the museum and 11 acres of green space surrounding the spaceship-like building.

The Lucas Museum is expected to complete construction in late 2021.
https://urbanize.la/post/1-billion-lucas-museums-steel-skeleton-takes-shape

·
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Also from Urbanize.la, the Exposition Park Master Plan was rolled out recently, of which the Lucas Museum is of course an integral part. The whole article is worth a read if you are interested, in the meantime here are the renders of what Expo Park will look like after the construction of the Lucas Museum and new Air and Space wing of the California Science Center, hopefully all in time for the 2028 Olympics:

·
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Great work as always John! :cheers:

Coming along nicely, but the more I look at the design for the museum the more I worry about the greenery over the parking garage and around the main building. Will this actually end up as lush parkland, or will it instead just end up as some grass on top of concrete? My big worry is that we end up with another Pershing Square at Exposition Park:

link

Hope not!

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
Great work as always John! :cheers:

Coming along nicely, but the more I look at the design for the museum the more I worry about the greenery over the parking garage and around the main building. Will this actually end up as lush parkland, or will it instead just end up as some grass on top of concrete? My big worry is that we end up with another Pershing Square at Exposition Park:

link

Hope not!
A legitimate concern. I have mentioned above that the planners and planning as if it will be lovely and filled with middle class strollers. In fact, this is one of the high crime, drug and vagrant districts of the city.

If policies aren't changed, it will be concrete and whatever local weeds can survive no water, no upkeep and a large dose of drugs, feces and urine. And, worst of all, many will applaud this as showing LA's dedication to saving the world.

And if coronavirus hits the area, it will be a perfect storm.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts