Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, who here is into live theater/performance? If so, what are your favorite LA venues? In the city of Los Angeles I have only been to the Ahmanson, Pantages, Dorthy Chandler Pavillion, and the Shubert (RIP). Which smaller theaters are cool?

Has anybody seen a performance in the Walt Disney Hall? If so, how was it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried posting to this earlier only to have it disappear, so if it shows up magically later, sorry for the double post. Let's try this again:

I was at the REDCAT yesterday to catch A Jazz Jam and it was wonderful. If you're not familiar with it, the REDCAT is at the Walt Disney Hall. There are tons of places to check out live theater/performance in downtown Los Angeles. Besides the REDCAT (which has a nice lounge with free wi-fi and potent beverages), there's the reading series at The Smell, The Vermin on the Mount at the Mountain Bar in Chinatown, and Shag The Musical is at the LA Theatre across the street from me. LA Conservancy hosts The Last Remaining Seats, which screens classic films in historic theatres in the Broadway Theatre District. I wrote a few stories about the Smell, the REDCAT and the tour of the historic theatres that I took a few weeks back on my blog (http://5thandspring.blogspot.com/), check it out if you're bored.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen REDCAT, and have even been in the art gallery portion. I have been meaning to catch a peformance there at some point, but things always come up!

As for the Orpheum, I agree that it looks wonderful. I hope that with the revitilization of DTLA theaters like the Orpheum will be used more often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Orpheum is one of the theatres that was on that tour I went on. Also included was the Los Angeles Theater and the Tower Theater. I have to agree, the Orpheum was amazing, it was the one that was fully renovated while the others are still in disrepair and not fully renovated. If you saw the M&M commercial where Megan Mullaly sings about all the different colors of the M&Ms, the entire commercial was filmed at the Los Angeles Theater.

I was at the REDCAT again last night, instead of a jazz concert it was for a roundtable discussion for "What Makes A Magazine Great". Gil Maurer from Hearst Magazines, Steve Wasserman from the LA Times Book Review, and Eric Nakamura and Martin Wong from Giant Robot were all on the panel. The REDCAT is such a nice space, they even put out a free cheese tray at the Lounge for everyone. It was a good event, a friendly crowd - good to see another way the space was being used, besides for concerts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts