Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Urbane observer
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In, um, honor of Preservation Month, I thought we might post pictures of the Chicago buildings whose loss we most regret.

In my case, I think it's North Western Station, demolished in 1984:

·
G. Allegretti
8 Posts
Yes, the train station demolition is a pointless and painful loss. I worked in the basement for a time in 1975. The whole floor was occupied by a single IBM370 computer. It was not in any way inspiring as the main floor was.

What's there now is more depressing than a hole in the ground would be. At least the track and platforms are still there and are more attractive than the cheezy green steel mall which replaced the white marble station. I'd be interested to find out how this big mistake happened.

By the way, BVictor1, your boat tours rock!

·
Urbane observer
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did it happen? The Byrne Administration was promised a big new taxpaying building full of good jobs, and preservation architect Wilbert Hasbrouck prostituted himself and testified that North Western Station had no historical significance. RTA/Metra was less than a decade old, had just lost its gas tax, and was very unsure about where it would get money to run the trains, much less the big old train station.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts