1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
^ It goes...From Forbes

1. Manchester United
2. Washington Redskins
3. New York Yankees
4. Dallas Cowboys
5. Real Madrid

The NFL is easily the most valuable sports league in the world, no competition at all.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Sports venues to be demolished in the future

This is a thread for sports venues slated for demolition in the future. If a new stadium replaces an old one, then the old one would sometimes be slated for demolition.

Here is a list of sport venues to be demolished soon:

Tiger Stadium, Detroit
Yankee Stadium, New York City
Shea Stadium, New York City
Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis
Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo
Rasunda Stadium, Stockholm

·
Registered
12,206 Posts
Anfield (Liverpool).

Goodison Park (Everton).

Fratton Park (Portsmouth).

Also, no detailed plans as yet and not exactly imminent but both West Ham's Boleyn Ground (Upton Park) and Tottenham's White Hart Lane are due to be demolished (and rebuilt, possibly, in Tottenham's case) within the next few years - planning consent allowing.

·
28,086 Posts
Ali Sami Yen (New Stadium will be built in another area)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Holmenkollen Ski Jumping Hill

Holmenkollen Ski Jumping Hill, Oslo will be demolished next year to give room for a new and more modern hill. Holmenkollen Ski Jumping Hill is the most visited tourist attraction in Norway anfd the Olympic venue with the biggest crowc ever (150.000).

Old Hill

New Hill

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
The Vicente Calderon Stadium in Madrid, spain was scheduled for demolition because it suffers from aluminosis.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
The Dongdaemun Baseball Stadium in Seoul may be demolished because it is getting replaced by a new domed baseball stadium.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
VFL Park in Mulgrave, (aka Waverley/The Death Star/Battestar Galactica), cap. 78,000 seats, record attendance 92,000(before H&S went over the top), south east of Melbourne has been demolished to make way for a suburb in the last few years. This was a disgrace and has robbed a large part of the S/E of easy access to watch football.

It was a fault of the short term vision of numerous governments refusing to build a rail line out that way and it is now crying out for one more than ever.

Also the greed of the league largely influenced the decision.

Now we have lots of 'football money' pouring into the coffers of private persons and other organizations such as the Melbourne Cricket Club. Building the place was the entire reason why they wanted football money to stay with football and to make the sport accessible and cheap.

Greed and the influence won in the end.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hardturm stadium in Zurich will be demolished.

It looks a lot worse now, fans could take souvenir like seats etc after the last league game in September and it hasn't been maintained since then.

A new stadium will be built on the same site, but it's not sure when yet.
At the moment, Hardturm stadium is unused, both Clubs of Zurich play at the new Letzigrund.

·
Registered
740 Posts
They want to build a new stadium for West Ham close to the Underground Station at West Ham the site is currently occupied by gas storage tanks and a mail depot that is currently being demolished.

There are plans to close Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient) if they decide to move to the Olympic Stadium (in legacy mode), since Brisbane Road is owned by the local council their lease is up for renegotiation in a few years time.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Pictures of the stadiums that will most defo be knocked down in England.

Anfield, capacity 45400
Liverpool Football Club

Most probably one of the most famous stand in the World, The Kop.

Rest of the stadum, on matchday.

Replacement
New Anfield, capacity 71,000

Goodison Park, capacity 40569
Everton Football Club
Location Liverpool

No final decision has been made on the replacement, the clubs first option at the moment is this 50,000 capacity stadium outside of Liverpool.

Fratton Park, capacity 20,288
Portsmouth Football
Location, Portsmouth

Replacement, at Portsmouth Harbour, capacity 36,000.

White Hart Lane, capacity 36310
Tottenham Hotspur Foootball Club
Location, London

A decision will be announced in June of this year. The club have announced that they have indetified sites in North London, including White Hart Lane, that will be suitable for a new stadium. The smallest capacity rumoured has been 50,000 whilst highest has been 60,000. The club have given away nothing but they are looking at a high capacity, whilst keeping their lips sealed on the design, where it will be built and the capacity they have said that they have 25,000 season ticket holders and another 20,000+ on the season ticket waiting list plus a wharehouse load of members, very impressive for a club who has only finished in the top 5 twice and won two Leage Cups in the past 15 years.

Possible demolishment.
Boleyn Ground, capacity 35647
West Ham United Football Club.
Location, London

There has been a lot of ruomours of late but no confirmation from the club as to what they will do. The origanal plan was the knock down the smallest stand and rebuild it, taking the capacity up to 40,600. The problem for West Ham is the fact that their quite land locked, so 40,000 will be the highest capacity they'll most probably have and the transport is pretty poor. The rumour is they are finding a site to build a new stadium.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Where would Spurs play if they choose to build on the current land? Surely Wembley since I can't see them sharing with Arsenal or West Ham due to the bitterness between them.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I keep reading that Wembley isn't an option.

As for the other options it's hard to say, I won't lie when I say Spurs are by far the most hated club in London, the rivalry with Arsenal has been going on since just after WW1, Chelsea have said that we're their arch rivals four about forty years and West Ham have hated us for the past 15 years, and now say they hate us more than anyone. If I had a choice out of which three we would groundshare with I would most probably say Arsenal, if we shared with West Ham then there would fighting all the time. Chelsea is over ten miles away and is a trek and a half. Anyway, like I said, we'll find out in June.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong anyone but I think they will only be able to partially demolish fratton park and goodison park due to the remaining Archibald leitch stands at those grounds. Spurs has one also but was already renovated before leitch preservation orders came into force, so a tesco can be erected there no problem!
Also was in London a couple of weeks back in a book store and found a real gem, an archibald leitch book! 100% dedicated to the godfather of modern stadium design!
(i said modern stadia design, so please dont batter me like last time with the coliseum etc from 2000 years ago!) I appreciate they were the godfathers of original arenas.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts