Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tables have been turned in Louisiana with New Orleans' two professional teams. The teams play in state owned arenas. Rather than subsidize the franchises, the State is making investments in the arenas and leaving the money making matters to the teams. This is a good model that other states should follow. Now, the State of Louisiana owns two arenas that are or will become state of the art and the teams must take advantage of the arenas using their own business models to achieve success. Things are looking good with the NFL locked into New Orleans until 2025 and the NBA locked until 2024. We're giving them the arenas and they need to come forward with a winning product. The Saints are sold out until 2019 with season tickets and the Hornets are in the top 10 teams in the NBA with season tickets. The model is working and will continue to work (esp. with the Hornets).... http://www.wwltv.com/sports/basketball/NO-Arena-To-Get-New-Front-Door-Premium-Seats--159119365.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anthony Davis and the renaming of the Hornets to something more New Orleansy will take the team to the next level in this city.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Yeah I hate to say it but hornets name does suck.
The "hornets" name was specific to Charlotte...I'm not sure why they didn't change it when they moved and allow the city of Charlotte to keep the name for future use - same goes for when the Jazz moved to Utah.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Say what? According to ESPN.com, since 2009 the Hornets have averaged less than 90% capacity each season. And it's not like they have the largest arena.
We sold well over 10,000 full season tickets on last years strike ridden, dreadful season, and are on pace to to surpass last year's full season tickets already for next season. But, we didn't have the walk-ups that would be ideal, but, we sucked. We have a huge amount of corporate dollars with the Hornets, as well as being in the top 10 in full season ticket sales in the NBA, which is where the $$$ are located with the NBA business model.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's been over 10 years since I lived in New Orleans and maybe things have changed drastically, but I could never find anyone to talk soccer with. It was like I was speaking a foreign language. The interest in the sport was non existent from what I witnessed. Baseball seemed to have a much stronger following on all levels.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's been over 10 years since I lived in New Orleans and maybe things have changed drastically, but I could never find anyone to talk soccer with. It was like I was speaking a foreign language. The interest in the sport was non existent from what I witnessed. Baseball seemed to have a much stronger following on all levels.
It would be much easier to fill the seats in a small stadium. Also, ten years ago New Orleans wasn't in the stage it's in now, attracting people from over the nation and world.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Say what? According to ESPN.com, since 2009 the Hornets have averaged less than 90% capacity each season. And it's not like they have the largest arena.
The 2009 Hornets averaged 98.7% capacity and since then the team has been in a decline on the court. The team has gotten worst every year.

This season the Hornets were among the worst teams if not the absolute worst team in the NBA and they averaged 88.4% capacity. Not bad at all.

·
12,509 Posts
Not disparaging the team or the fans, I was just curious about the metric referenced. Because obviously many teams have larger venues, greater attendance and bigger revenue streams, so I couldn't grasp which category NO fit into the Top 10. Perhaps it's in % of season tickets sold vs. space allotted?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts