SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Whoa!!! I never knew the new arena got approved. And now its under construction!! I just Googled some renderings and it looks sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news for Louisville. I can see this place hosting a lot of future NCAA events.

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
I for one am very excited about the arena, and nay sayers can just get over it.
Soul, I think what would be great is a short walking tour of Waterfront park and the newly completed portion. FINALLY you can walk the park in its full length, from one end to the other. The lincoln memorial is really nice. I was there just last night. Also, behind the amphitheatre on the other side of Tumbleweed is a gigantic hill with an amazing view of the skyline.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Wow I totally forgot about the arena and obviously it was approved. Lousiville is definitely a city with the best intentions for itself and is moving forward pretty quickly. I like the projects it has proposed in the last year or two. Neat photos.

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
:drool::drool:
I still want I-64 to Fahk off and disappear but it looks alright butted up against all the buildings and the new arena.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Louisville will never land anything better than that as long as they let the UofL athletic department run the town. I never understood why a place that size would let a second rate college run things, the AD and Pitino literally have the town by the balls and were very key in blocking the Hornets deal when they were leaving Charlotte. OKC should thank Louisville for its ineptness.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wasn't aware that they were building an arena in Louisville. Who's going to play there? I know that Louisville has tried to land expansion NBA teams or extising teams, but the NBA seems to have settled back down for the time being.
The Louisville Cardinals.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't aware that they were building an arena in Louisville. Who's going to play there? I know that Louisville has tried to land expansion NBA teams or extising teams, but the NBA seems to have settled back down for the time being.
here is the official descrip

"What type of new events will the Arena attract?

In addition to the University of Louisville men’s and women’s basketball games (approximately 37 annually), the Arena will attract concerts, family shows, other sporting events such as high school tournaments and professional exhibition games, NCAA championships in a variety of sports such as wrestling, hockey, basketball and volleyball, and miscellaneous events such as large group assemblies, conventions, trade and consumer shows and graduations. "
http://www.arenaauthority.com/faq.htm

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
511 Posts
The Phoenix NHL Franchise is up for sale. I don't think Nashville or Columbus are close enough to prohibit someone moving it to Louisville. Nor would U of L care all that much, I would supposed, because even though they play in the same season lots of towns have not issue scheduling. U of L might have a problem with the Ice under the basketball floor, I guess.

Of course, the Canadian bidders seem poised to bring that franchise back north of the border anyway, but I do think an NHL franchise could be had if someone had interest.

I just don't see the NBA happening with Indy as close as it is and U of L (and UK) wanting to be top dog.

EDIT: Ohh, and nice photos as always Soul.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The NBA is the only viable pro sports franchise for the city of Louisville. The NFL would absolutley work but it will never happen as long as Indy, Cincy, Nashville, and St. Louis have anything to say about it. Out of those cities only Indy has the NBA and it would create a natural rivalry. I don't think Indy would be too upset I don't believe there to be much of a Pacer's fan base in Louisville.

The NHL would never get the necessary support in Louisville and we are not quite big enough for MLB plus Cincy would surely try and block any attempt.

And yes Soul great pictures as always!!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
It would be a great rivalry again - between the Pacers and a potential Louisville NBA team --- but I'm sure the Simons would try to block it. Its just the way pro sports owners are - if there is any threat at all, they will try to block it - almost just on principal. But --- like I said, I think it would be great. I'm looking forward to coming down to Louisville for some events at the arena - particularly NCAA basketball - if there is a regional or something. That's the last time I went to a big sporting event in Louisville. I think it was in the early 90's. Louisville hosted one of the early rounds of the NCAA b-ball tourney at Freedom Hall. I saw IU beat Florida State. A downtown arena is much better for hosting big events like that. There wasn't much to do around Freedom Hall - but the new downtown arena will be a different story, I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Well, actually we tailgated in the parking lot which ended up being pretty fun (it was St. Patrick's Day, as I vaguely remember). But its not easy to find places to go when you're from out of town and unsure of what's around and you basically just end up driving straight to a huge parking lot. Downtown will be better where you can park once and then wander around to different places all over downtown.

·
Registered
62 Posts
An NBA franchise is the only real possibility for Louisville, but I don't know if and when that would happen. When the Charlotte Hornets were looking at possible cities, Louisville was in top two or three final locations. The owner of the Hornets stated that as long as Rick Pitino is the coach of UofL, Louisville will never have an NBA team.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Louisville will never land anything better than that as long as they let the UofL athletic department run the town. I never understood why a place that size would let a second rate college run things, the AD and Pitino literally have the town by the balls and were very key in blocking the Hornets deal when they were leaving Charlotte. OKC should thank Louisville for its ineptness.
The "second rate college" is home to the most profitably basketball program in the NCAA who consistently is in the top 5 in attendance. So, if there is any program worthy of such an arena, it is UofL. Louisville may or may not have gotten the Hornets without UofL involved, but the bottom line is the state of Louisiana guaranteed ticket sales up to 15,000 or so in order to land the team. I do not want professional athlete welfare to say we have a pro team. Plus, OKC has an NBA team for one reason only: their local money bought one and relocated it. It had nothing to do with it being a viable city to host the NBA (because everyone knows the NBA stood to make more money in Seattle).

You have a vendetta against Louisville for some reason. You should let that go. In clouds your reasoning.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
College basketball is insignificant in the world of sports. Professional sports and college football is what brings in the money. And no college basketball program is worthy of a $300 million arena.

Louisville would have had the Hornets without UofL involved, and university is clearly holding the city back in the world of sports.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts