SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that many people on this board think of Chicago as simply an early example of a high-rise city. But......

Chicago was one of the 5 largest cities in the world in 1900, before the auto affected city development. This means that few cities can match its pre-automobile level of urbanity. Here are some non-skyscraper, non-downtown pics of Chicago.

Chicago has hundreds (1000s) of courtyard apartments, some stone, some brick

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good idea.

This is the typical Chicago, away from the downtown and the lakefront skyline (these are all from pip @ SSP):

Brand new ones:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hate the 6th photo because the building are monstrous 3.5 story buildings they built on Wood St. that blocked the view downtown views from the house I used to live in but nice shots of East Ukrainian Village.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Chicago has AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL neighbourhoods, if that photo is anything to go by...

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Good work guys!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ahhh, Chicago, old memories........
I lived in one of those courtyard apartments a few years back, in fact, my college final thesis was based on reinterpreting the style, architecture, and spatial planning of them....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
brooklynprospect said:
The photos look like they could have been taken in Queens, NY. Relatively dense, but definitely not beautiful.
These pics come from all over the city from the far north to west and south sides. The architecture in Chicago neighborhoods can change quite dramatically from block to block.

Anyhow, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to me, and from the looks of it, most other repliers to this thread, neighborhood Chicago has a beauty all its own.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts