SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 5001 Posts

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
I got this picture from a webpage and and it shows the beginning of big land reclamation area in Luanda. I will quote here: " Angola´s latest investment - A sand island where they build a billion dollar hotel à la Dubai". unquote. We do need the help of Angolans here to verify that for us!:) It sounds like :eek2: Information dates back to November 2006.

Source:http://www.pbase.com/image/70907578

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Luanda nightlife: photo taken in central Luanda at a nightclub where Angolans and foreigners mix to enjoy performances of traditional dances including the semba (precursor of the Brazilian samba), kizomba and kuduru.

·
Egolatra del destino
222 Posts
me encanta siento como si estuviera en Luanda.

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Stormshadow, are you sure that those pics are from 2007 or only POSTED IN 2007 and taken some time earlier ´cos some of the buildings on the shoreline look like the were in the early stages of construction. Maybe the photos were taken sometime earlier and only posted in 2007.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Chicala

Fortaleza de Luanda, inside

Ilha do Cabo vista da Fortaleza de Luanda

Baía de Luanda vista da Fortaleza de Luanda

Port Authority and Hotel Presidente

Praça da Independência

Estádio da Cidadela

Ships and trains, rot in port

Fortaleza de Luanda

Ilha do Cabo, Luanda

Bem-vindo Welcome Bienvenu (Airport area?)

Baía de Luanda

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes indeed Stormshadow, the photo above with the "Welcome Bienvenue" etc is in fact Aeroporto 4 de Fevereiro, Luanda's International Airport. Thank God they are building a new airport, because this airport is completely outdated, partly dilapidated, tiny, and old. But everytime I land on it, I am ecstatic because I have just arrived in the motherland, and I have many memories of this stupid airport, so even tho I bashed it, I will definitely miss it :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Luanda and Mussulo Island, Dec 2006 - Jan 2007

Here are some pics that I recently took on my end of year trip to my beautiful hometown: Luanda, Angola. I hope you all enjoy.

The BFA Bank headquarters in Luanda

Beggining of the Estrada da Samba (Samba Road)

Samba Neighborhood in the distance

Miramar Neighborhood, with the best view of Luanda bay, and also the diplomatic district. My favorite hood in Luanda.

The view from a house in Bairro Azul

Palacio da Justica in the distance

Agotinho Neto's Tomb (Agostinho Neto is Angola's founding father)

An unfinished building (has been this way since before independence in 1975, way before I was born)

I am not sure what this is yet

Luanda, view from the Prenda neighborhood

Billboard advertising the Belas Business Park - there were a lot of these around. It reads "You imagined, Odebrecht will build it."

Mussulo Island!!! (off the coast of Luanda)

On the island

Mussulo

Luanda in the distance

More Mussulo

The Slavery Museum

On the way to Mussulo

The Triple A tower at night

The End

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thanks for the airport name BlackLion. Excellent photos too. :applause:
Do any one of you know of a map of Luanda neighborhoods ?

YR2B. I also like density/distant photos too.

·
Registered
40,749 Posts
Blacklion , absolutely fantastic photos of a constantly growing city!:banana: Thank you once again for sharing them with us! :applause: :applause:

Unfortunately, you haven´t taken some more shots about the signboards and the announcements of more developments planned or u/c!

Please, read what I said in "Southern African Development file"!:)

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Whoa I never knew Luanda was this beautiful

Well the best cure for Ignorance is exposure:)
Oh yeah thanks BlackLion, StormShadow, You Are To Blame and Matthias for the Good exposure

41 - 60 of 5001 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.