3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Construction Cam:

New Renderings:

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am really starting to like the design. I think that once we start to see the outside facade, it will make a huge impact on the downtown.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
cwilson758 said:
I am really starting to like the design. I think that once we start to see the outside facade, it will make a huge impact on the downtown.
Can't beat brick and Indiana Limestone. Wht other NFL stadiums are being built using such high class materials?

It makes me very concerned with the design of the new transportation hub though. They'd better do something to match Lucas and Union Station.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Lucas Stadium seems to be moving right along on time. This could help boost development for that side of downtown. I personally believe that this will become one of the premier stadiums in the United States. Excellent choice of materials, and I would like to see other structures match LOS and Union Station as well. The outer facade reminds me of Hinkle Fieldhouse, especially on the sides.

Are those giant bottles in the foreground of the eight picture supposed to represent Lucas Oil products?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
NaptownBoy said:
Lucas Stadium seems to be moving right along on time. This could help boost development for that side of downtown. I personally believe that this will become one of the premier stadiums in the United States. Excellent choice of materials, and I would like to see other structures match LOS and Union Station as well. The outer facade reminds me of Hinkle Fieldhouse, especially on the sides.

Are those giant bottles in the foreground of the eight picture supposed to represent Lucas Oil products?
I don't know about boosting development.. Large stadiums tend to create black holes around them in terms of street life and retail, being that stadiums want their customers to come in and spend all their money in the stadium. However, with a transportation hub there, I can see that it might offset it. I just think that the warehouse area that has always typified that disctrict will remain mostly intact. Perhaps some mid to low income apartment towers will spring up because of the hub though.

Yes, those are current Lucas Oil products. Those are just the (tiny) additive bottles. Lucas will soon be coming out with their own motor oil with the additive included that will sell alongside the other established other brands currently on the shelf. They've promised a distinctive design for the bottle... we'll see.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
moochie is right, stadiums tend to suck all life from neighboring areas. Conseco is good because they included the Starbucks and Pacers gift shop with the design, thus giving people a reason to access the stadium, even when there isn't an event.

I would bet that some of the warehouses around LOS will be conversions to residential, thus creating a bit more street life. That whole area of downtown is quite the vaccuum, so anything will be an improvement. I would love to see the transit center have ancillary development around it, but who knows.

A friend of a friend just opened "Spencer's Stadium Tavern" at the corner of McCarty and West Streets. Its a nice place and so far business has been good. Once the stadium is completed, he will be on the opposite corner of the Stadium...GOLD MINE!

·
2,916 Posts
UWMilwaukeeJay said:
Where is this in relation the the conseco fieldhouse?
It's SW of Conseco. The stadium site, including the parking lots, is bounded by South St, Missouri St, Illinois St, and McCarty St. It's directly across South St from the RCA Dome.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
ive never heard of lucas oil,
obviously not a huge oil company,
what are their products, im guessing they are headquartered in indy,
its cool how the stadium is set up at a diagonal in the picture to the downtaon

·
2,916 Posts
mohammed wong said:
Amazingly, no, they're not headquartered in Indy. You're right in the same boat as Indy, though. None of us had ever heard of Lucas Oil before this deal! Apparently the Lucas family is from Indiana, but the company is in CA. Just for clarity, it's a motor oil/additives company, not an oil/gasoline company. There was some talk right around when the naming rights deal was made about Lucas Oil moving their headquarters to Indy, but I'd be extremely surprised if that actually panned out.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
mohammed wong said:
They're a company whose products are geared more towards racing and high end engines. They only sell additives to oil currently, but they're coming out with consumer level products soon to compete with regular off the shelf products like Valvoline etc. and hope to become a household name. I wouldn't say that they're a big company right now... they're more along the lines of a respected smaller company with DEEP pockets. Not Local.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts