SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
18,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
culled
18,934 Posts
I'll never forgive Luton. They were the final straw that got Mick McCarthy sacked from Wolves if I remember correctly. Beat us when we were in the Prem and Luton were non league!

I like the stadium, it's different, in a good way. Best not to have all our stadiums looking the same.

Why such a low stand at the one end though?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'll never forgive Luton. They were the final straw that got Mick McCarthy sacked from Wolves if I remember correctly. Beat us when we were in the Prem and Luton were non league!

I like the stadium, it's different, in a good way. Best not to have all our stadiums looking the same.

It was Solbakken in charge when Luton beat us.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The stadium looks really nice, not keen on the floodlights though. I think it would be better if they kept the same shape but weren't attached and were at a more suitable height for each individual stand, if that makes sense.

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
I like it, it's a unique but still traditional design, and I think the floodlights add something. It would have been so easy for a club like Luton to go out and get a generic flat pack bowl stadium, fair play to them for putting some thought into it. I'm assuming the stands or some of them attest can easily be extended for an increased capacity as well should they ever need it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It is certainly a unique feature but one I suspect will get scrapped once the financial realities of the project hit home. Goodness knows Luton need a new stadium badly. Kenilworth Road may be a traditional English football ground but it's a bit of a hovel unfortunately. Too landlocked and too cramped.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Luton getting a new stadium, no doubt man will walk on mars before then.
It's certainly true that the talk of a new stadium has been going on for a long time, it was first mentioned in 1962, but now this development is the closest that the club has got and hopefully by August 2020 we will be occupying the new stadium, fingers crossed because there is no plan B.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is certainly a unique feature but one I suspect will get scrapped once the financial realities of the project hit home.
The Development at Newlands Park (J10) will pay for the development at Power Court, as the Halo floodlighting structure is part of the stadium plans, the club don't foresee any problems arising.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does it need that hat? Is it a subtle reference?
Yes, It's a symbolic reference to the hat industry.
I went to a meeting before the public consultation started last month when the club organised two meetings with both supporters groups LTST and LLSC to show the development presentation, and according to Gary Sweet the floodlight structure is unique in the world, no other club has a structure like it.

the club wanted something iconic, The club approached the supporters groups and they asked for a stadium with 4 stands and not a bowl design

the stands look low but the pitch is below ground level and both ends have the ability to expand when the time is right

the floodlights seem a little odd but maybe they'll give it a bit of character
The structure is unique in world football, no one has anything like it according to Gary Sweet

I'm assuming the stands or some of them attest can easily be extended for an increased capacity as well should they ever need it.
The planning application is for 22,500(with the ability to expand considerably further when the time is right)but are starting with 17,500 to learn about people's behaviour, meaning, I guess, people coming to and from the stadium, monitoring how smoothly things run, encouraging people to use alternative forms of transport and getting them out of their car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hatters’ new stadium plans to be submitted today

Luton Town chief executive Gary Sweet has confirmed the club will submit its planning application for a new 17,500 capacity stadium at Power Court today (Thursday).

As part of the application, Hatters will also put forward their plans for a mixed use development land at Newlands Park as well, which is intended to raise the funds needed for the new ground.

“Once it goes in we sort of turn a corner. It doesn’t stop there though, we carry on, and we work with the planning officers to make sure that everything is understood.”

Gary Sweet

Speaking to the Luton News at Luton’s new kit launch on Friday, Sweet said: “People often think that an outline application is a red line on a piece of paper with some back up documentation, this is completely different.

“Not only because it’s two sites and the two sites being quite huge with a lot of accommodation, but there’s a couple of complex issues on each site of course, particularly with Power Court and things like the river and the station.

“So the number of reports and assessments we’ve got to provide with that application is quite extensive and a lot of these things will be exposed to the public anyway.

“So when people see the amount of work that has gone into it, I’m sure everyone will be suitably impressed and see what we’ve been doing for the past few months.

“Once it goes in we sort of turn a corner. It doesn’t stop there though, we carry on, and we work with the planning officers to make sure that everything is understood and we make sure that any of their queries or concerns are also considered.

“It’s an ongoing continuous process and then hopefully we’ll know at the end of the year, the beginning of next and then it’s a completely different era for Luton Town Football Club.”

On what happens now, Sweet continued: “The officers have a duty and have got a job to do, we’ve got to respect that. It’s a different course of action, the planning officers have got to look at the plans from a perspective of compliance and there are laws of the land, policies to adhere to and they’ve got to make sure that it all fits.

“So we’ve got to help them to do that, and also make any tweaks or changes where we can have, improvements, or make sure we increase the probability of success in the planning application and we’ll do it.”

Sweet was also delighted with the exhibitions held at the club recently in which he and the likes of architect Manuel Nogueira were all on hand to show over 4,000 people who visited, just what the plans would entail.

He admitted that some of the ideas received at the events, would make it into their final application, adding: “It was absolutely phenomenal and part of the process, and specifically the reason why it’s called pre-application consultation is that you listen to people, listen to their concerns, take them on board.

“If you feel like they’re sensible and don’t compromise your designs or your viability too much then you make some changes and we have actually made a couple of tweaks.

“There are people that while they supported it fully, made one or two minor suggestions that we’ve taken on board.

“We can’t possibly think of absolutely everything, I think we thought of most things, so there’s two or three that we’ve had a little tinker with.

“But we’re grateful for that as it means that we’re improving and finessing and making that application a little bit better and the end product a little bit better.”

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gary Sweet hopes new Luton Town stadium plans will impress

Plans for the Hatters' new stadium will be submitted to Luton Borough Council today [Thursday] with club chief executive Gary Sweet hoping that all of the town's residents will be "suitably impressed" by the work they've done to get to this stage.

The outline application will be made publicly available by the authority once planning officers get their hands on the the proposals for a 17,500-seat arena Power Court, plus the enabling mixed-use Newlands Park development at junction 10 on the M1.

"When people see the amount of work that has gone into it, I'm sure everyone will be suitably impressed and see what we've been doing for the past few months," Sweet told Luton on Sunday on Friday at the club's launch of three new Puma kits and SsangYong as their sponsor.

The work to get to this stage has been informed by an eight-day public exhibition organised by the club, the reaction to which Sweet called "phenomenal".

The Hatters supremo, architect Manuel Nogueira, Luton Town staff and a number of other consultants personally fielded questions from Luton fans and interested members of the public. The instant feedback even provided ideas which have since be incorporated in the plans.

Sweet said: "Part of the process, and specifically the reason why it's called pre-application consultation is that you listen to people, listen to their concerns, take them on board.

"If you feel like they're sensible and don't compromise your designs or your viability too much then you make some changes and we have actually made a couple of tweaks. There are people that, whilst they supported it fully, made one or two minor suggestions that we've taken on board.

"We can't possibly think of absolutely everything, I think we thought of most things, so there were two or three that we've had a little tinker with. Not massive, but we're grateful for that as it means that we're improving and finessing and making that application a little bit better and the end product a little bit better."

Close to 4,000 people attended last month's exhibition that also highlighted how the two sites – which will also include a live music venue, bars, cafés, restaurants, retail, offices, residential, recreation and public spaces, such as the opening up of the River Lea – are intended to also regenerate the town.

Sweet said: "Not everybody were supporters. There were a lot of really interested residents that have no interest in football at all, that were fully engaged. We had some amazing responses. It was into the high 90s in terms of the percentage of those people that left that exhibition effectively supporting it.

"We had so many compliments after the event of how professional, engaging and polite our staff were. I'd like to thank them but also the volunteers from the [Luton Town] Disabled Supporters'Association, the Loyal Luton Supporters' Club and just supporters who want to get involved that have got some knowledge and capability around these things, who were just there for a lot of hours. I really thank those people. Even a couple of members of the board helped out."

The aim now is to assist council officers who will go through the plan with a fine-tooth comb.

"The council are always positive with what we're doing now. We've got a great relationship with the council," Sweet said, referencing the new Love Luton campaign sponsorship on the back of their new purple third kit.

"The relationship we've got with the Councillors is fantastic. The officers have a duty and have got a job to do, we've got to respect that. It's a different course of action, the planning officers have got to look at that from a perspective of compliance. There are laws of the land, policies to adhere to and they've got to make sure that it all fits.

"So we've got to help them to do that, and they've got to help us to also make any tweaks or changes where we can have improvements or make sure we increase the probability of success in the planning application, and we'll do it."

1 - 20 of 182 Posts