SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
112,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The terminal is very spacious and bright.

There is a huge square outside the entrance with a large canopy.

Terminal 2

Parking & Control Tower

Airplanes from the observation deck (2 euros)

From the gate : notice the smaller aircraft parked on the tarmac. Yet even more smaller aircraft are parked beyond to the left.

Aerial View

·
95 Posts
Kuvvaci said:
it is smal but very modern and relaxed. I liked the outside more...
Small? The Munich airport has a total capacity of app. 50 Million passengers per anno - allowing it to grow at a high rate in the near future, overtaking other major European airports...

At the moment it is Germany's 2nd largest airport, Europe's 8th largest and World's 33th largest.

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,541 Posts
Jai-C said:
Small? The Munich airport has a total capacity of app. 50 Million passengers per anno - allowing it to grow at a high rate in the near future, overtaking other major European airports...

At the moment it is Germany's 2nd largest airport, Europe's 8th largest and World's 33th largest.
Perhaps he just meant the Terminal shown above.

·
Premium member
8,130 Posts
Don't like the new terminal. Looks like a exhibition hall. Way too cold and grey.

But thanks for the interesting pictures.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I love the new terminal. It represents Germany very well - modern, trying to look more modern than it is and clean. The terminal does look empty, though, and that seemingly around the clock.

E

·
0 Posts
Sehr schön!

Way to go Germany, the airport does look clean, spacious and big.

:)

·
112,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a Transrapid exhibition at Munich Airport to advertise its plans to build a maglev link :

http://www.toytownmunich.com/wiki/Transrapid_Airport_Link

Plans are now underway to build a high speed train link between Munich central station and Munich airport. This magnetic levitation "flying train" will travel the 37 km journey in just 10 minutes reaching a top speed of 500 km/h (310 mph). The first trains are scheduled to run in 2009 with a frequency of every 10 minutes. This will make getting to the airport an absolute dream. It's not certain, however, that the project will actually go ahead. The estimated cost of the Transrapid link is a massive €1.6 billion. Of course many people think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
511 Posts
magicks said:
what would it cost? €1.6 billion? :runaway:
Can´t be correct :)
Sounds reasonable. The conventional (ICE) high speed train line between Frankfurt and Cologne did cost 6 billion €.

·
Alphaist
5,322 Posts
chiccoplease said:
The terminal does look empty, though, and that seemingly around the clock.
Empty or Booming, that is the question?

What can I believe?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Overall it's probably a very good and functional building, but in terms of 'feel' I prefer terminals that aren't as shiny and sterile...... I like Singapore for example...... also a lot of glass and yet a lot colours, carpets as well as granite, green glass windows. It just doesn't feel cold - rather warm and inviting to stay. Don't think that's the case with Munich's Terminal 2.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts