SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New details have been released regarding the 8 laning of the M1 from the Gateway/Pacific MWY Interchange to the Pacific/Logan MWY Interchanges.

-------------
Planning is underway for improvements to 15km of the Pacific Motorway through Rochedale South, Springwood, Daisy Hill, Shailer Park and Loganholme.

The state government has committed $A392 million over five years to progress planning for the upgrade between the Gateway Motorway and Logan Motorway, the Loganlea Road interchange and the southern end of the Pacific Motorway from Nerang to Tugun.

Funding for the Pacific Motorway is a joint state and federal government responsibility. The state government has allocated its 50% share, pending the federal government meeting its obligation. Beginning construction of the motorway upgrade depends on matching federal government funding*. Should this funding be forthcoming, the state government would be ready to begin construction of the Loganlea Road interchange by mid-2007.

In the meantime, Main Roads and Queensland Transport are working together to plan how to make best use of the road space and encourage alternative transport to move people more quickly and efficiently. The project team is looking for early opportunities to construct key elements of the project.

Planning, design and community consultation are being done now so that the state government is in a position to begin this important motorway upgrade should the federal government provide the matched 50-50 funding. Parts of the Pacific Motorway are congested, facing increasing demands from a rapidly growing South East Queensland population and that is why the upgrades are so vital.

Maps can also be found on the site (PDF). The motorway in parts will be 10 lanes:

---------------
Bus Lane >>
Traffic Lane >>
Traffic Lane >>
Traffic Lane >>
T2 Transit >>
---------------
T2 Transit <<
Traffic Lane <<
Traffic Lane <<
Traffic Lane <<
Bus Lane <<
---------------

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Well he and Peter Costello gave Queensland a whole lot of JACK SHIT in the budget so he bloodywell better put in for it and the Ipswich Motorway.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
So why you got a 'Vote1: John Howard' under your name Toadman? He doesn't give a toss about QLD!

The Ipswish Motorway, M1, Tugun, BCC tunnels, we are getting shafted at every turn by either the feds or other states. Thanks for nothing as usual Johnny!

Has anyone else noticed how just in the last two years the roads have become so much more jammed with all these people moving here?

SEQ is turning into one giant traffic jam, this extension should have already being built. Eight lanes is not enough anyway, no joke it should be 16, there is just no vision, no foresight, no planning for the future.

I mean honestly, in 5-10 years this is going to be a right royal mess, thanks to 'leaders' like this, in fact it's already half way there.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Locke said:
So why you got a 'Vote1: John Howard' under your name Toadman? He doesn't give a toss about QLD!

The Ipswish Motorway, M1, Tugun, BCC tunnels, we are getting shafted at every turn by either the feds or other states. Thanks for nothing as usual Johnny!

Has anyone else noticed how just in the last two years the roads have become so much more jammed with all these people moving here?

SEQ is turning into one giant traffic jam, this extension should have already being built. Eight lanes is not enough anyway, no joke it should be 16, there is just no vision, no foresight, no planning for the future.

I mean honestly, in 5-10 years this is going to be a right royal mess, thanks to 'leaders' like this, in fact it's already half way there.

16??? remind me never to listen to u if u become a planner or engineer. 8 is more than enough. we dont wanna encourage further car use.

Gertzy - T2 lanes are Transit Lanes that cater for vehicles with 2 occupants or more. Motorbikes are allowed in T2 lanes as well. We have T2's & T3's in Brizzy!

damn feds are stingey motherfuckers :bash:

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Yep 16 at least, it's not encouraging car use, it's simply common sense and catering for the influx of people, do you want to wait in a traffic jam for 4 hours a day, or are you suggesting some utopian vision of us all all the sudden catching public transport which doesn't exist? That's urban planning fantasy, reality is we need more and better roads. Are the trucks going to take public transport as well? is industry? Everything grinds to a halt when the roads are jammed and everything suffers.

Roads are the arteries of SEQ, the lifeblood of the region, and when they clog up the patient will suffer. Any country with sense knows to invest in a good freeway system, just look at the Germany or France, good public transport but they know that you also need the roads!

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
^^ how old r u. u seriously come up with some absolute dribble sometimes. fucking 16 lanes. ill let u explain it to the hundreds of ppl who would lose business and homes. a 16 lane freeway would wipe out half of springwood.

·
New Urbanist
5,529 Posts
I know...John Howard and our federal government doesn't even know Queensland exists!! Jesus, we have people coming left and right and we have NO MONEY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE!!

Ok, so yes QLD does get a big GST payback but that is not enough to support the growing region...remember its not just Brisbane, its the GC to the sunny coast and everything in between...and from that. 0$$ for infrastructure. How sad...but hopefully with our great mayor ATM we can fund all the proposed infrastructure by ourselves...
16 lane freeway...thats a different concept...mm yeah interesting.

Thanks Johnny...i use to like you, but now i want kevin Rudd as PM...

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Of FFS Maroon Grown, obviously you can't do it now, but it's what they should have done originally, or at least build another 8 laner down there.

Honestly, what's your solution then smartypants?

·
retired
893 Posts
The road from Springwood into the City needs serious upgrading now. The freeway always seems to be stop start just due to traffic congestion ...imagine how bad it is when there is an accident. And I can't see how the new tunnel will help this. The traffic congestion is just one of the perks of living on the coast and working in Brisbane

Although I agree with Locke more lanes are needed ... more lanes don't solve the issue that if there is an accident the whole traffic stops. New lanes will help the current problem, but it isn't a long term solution. A seperate road is needed, and this should be started sooner rather than later.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DeejayT said:
The road from Springwood into the City needs serious upgrading now. The freeway always seems to be stop start just due to traffic congestion ...imagine how bad it is when there is an accident. And I can't see how the new tunnel will help this. The traffic congestion is just one of the perks of living on the coast and working in Brisbane

Although I agree with Locke more lanes are needed ... more lanes don't solve the issue that if there is an accident the whole traffic stops. New lanes will help the current problem, but it isn't a long term solution. A seperate road is needed, and this should be started sooner rather than later.

If you look at the Gateway > Pacific (Southbound) Merge it will still be a bottleneck in around 5-10 years.

They really need to build the South Eastern Transport Corridor (ie south coast tollway) asap - but the state govt will not commit to any such project in the current climate.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Locke said:
Of FFS Maroon Grown, obviously you can't do it now, but it's what they should have done originally, or at least build another 8 laner down there.

Honestly, what's your solution then smartypants?
what they are doing now is the solution. with a better bus network comes more passengers. im no greeny but we have to draw a line somewhere. id hate brisbane to turn into an LA. 16 lanes is way to OTT.

look at the northside. we havent even got a freeway and were just in the same boat as the south. albeit we have congestion, the northern busway will be an awesome piece of infrastructure that will reduce the traffic.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
nagelixin said:
If you look at the Gateway > Pacific (Southbound) Merge it will still be a bottleneck in around 5-10 years.

They really need to build the South Eastern Transport Corridor (ie south coast tollway) asap - but the state govt will not commit to any such project in the current climate.
honestly i think that corridor is a waste of time. a motorway that runs parallel to a motorway is rediculous. the western brisbane bypass is the most vital corridor ATM to be considered

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Maroon Grown said:
what they are doing now is the solution. with a better bus network comes more passengers. im no greeny but we have to draw a line somewhere. id hate brisbane to turn into an LA. 16 lanes is way to OTT.

look at the northside. we havent even got a freeway and were just in the same boat as the south. albeit we have congestion, the northern busway will be an awesome piece of infrastructure that will reduce the traffic.
I don't see people going by bus between the coast and Brisbane. If you drive down the coast on the weekend you are not going to take a bus, you have to drive, especially with the coasts bad PT system.

If people want to use PT to the coast, then the train system should be expanded, but buses will only add more traffic to the freeway, and a busway down to the coast would be way too expensive, and duplicate the trains job anyway.

So as the M1 becomes busier and busier the only solution if it can't be expanded is to build a parrell freeway, run it down closer to the beach maybe. I live in the South and it's way quicker from me to get to Brisbane on the freeway than it is to take Logan road, so I don't believe that freeways don't save them.

Bear in mind also that there is a strong link between the growth and boom of the Gold Coast and the M1, for this to continue an M2 will be needed, otherwise we'll be back to where we were 10 years ago with the old M1, in other words, a crawl.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
^He wasn't suggesting a busway all the way down to the coast. I think the M1 from the north side of the airport(around Boondall--sp?), right down to the current M1 @ Beenleigh should be 8 lanes. The northern half of the Gateway should then be 6 lanes.

And Queensland's freeways would flow a hell of a lot better if we built proper interchanges. Ipswich/Logan, Ipswich/Centenary, Coro/Hale St/Riverside, Gateway/Pacific, Gateway/Deagon Deviation, Gateway/Bruce

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Locke said:
Bear in mind also that there is a strong link between the growth and boom of the Gold Coast and the M1, for this to continue an M2 will be needed, otherwise we'll be back to where we were 10 years ago with the old M1, in other words, a crawl.
The M2 is the Ipswich Mwy. All the metroad numbers u see are Motorway or Major road numbers

M1 - Pacific (to gateway) - Gateway - Bruce
M2 - Kessels Rd - Ipswich Mwy
M3 - Pacific (SE Fwy) - ICB - Gympie Rd
M4 - Logan Mwy
M5 - Centenary/Western Fwy - Wardell St - Stafford Rd (absolute bullshit option, hence need for western bypass)
M6 - Gateway extension

I know traffic is heavy on the M1 but 16 lanes will never be justified

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maroon Grown said:
honestly i think that corridor is a waste of time. a motorway that runs parallel to a motorway is rediculous. the western brisbane bypass is the most vital corridor ATM to be considered
It can't be a motorway, it has to be something else...

What's wrong with a busway down to the coast? Replace 2 of the 8 lanes on the M1 for a Bus Lane and continue it into the Smith Street Motorway or along the whole Gold Coast Highway - deter driving along the coast, by PT force!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Me_Simon said:
It can't be a motorway, it has to be something else...

What's wrong with a busway down to the coast? Replace 2 of the 8 lanes on the M1 for a Bus Lane and continue it into the Smith Street Motorway or along the whole Gold Coast Highway - deter driving along the coast, by PT force!
1. It duplicates the rail line going down there, 2.. it wont be as fast as the train and 3, it doesnt carry as much capacity compared to the train.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts