SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Terminator
8,920 Posts
I just watched CTV tonight they do have a segment talking about UBC,well according to them,they received quite a bit of complains from Caucasian students says UBC too much Asians and its intimidated them cause Asian academic achievements.I really do not understand the issue here.I thought competition would help students to study harder otherwise,this is not ESL for god sake.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
asians have a different study ethic to most - most want to balance it out

its almost impossible to get into UBC for instance without an incredibly high average - i think its something 99% now to get into UBC

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
What an astounding article!

I'm one of those white people studying at UofT. Should I be worried about my Asian competition?

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Read the comments on the Globe before the article was taken down. Agree with the top comments which said more non-Asians should encourage their children to attend university. But I don't agree with Asian parents demanding absolute perfection from their kids. It's true that they will ask you where the extra 5% went if you get a 95% average.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
My mom also asks me where that 5% went.. Doesn't mean I'm Asian.

However I get these grades without losing my social life... I'd just like to grab my friend Naomi and get her really drunk - she needs it.

·
Grof
407 Posts
asians have a different study ethic to most - most want to balance it out

its almost impossible to get into UBC for instance without an incredibly high average - i think its something 99% now to get into UBC
1. I used to think that stereotype was true, until I started TAing.

2. UBC admissions range from mid-70s to mid-90s depending on the program, as with most schools.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Гроф;66942237 said:
1. I used to think that stereotype was true, until I started TAing.

2. UBC admissions range from mid-70s to mid-90s depending on the program, as with most schools.
Indeed. I TAed calculus 2 years ago and the Asian kids would ride me incessantly for extra marks.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
I think if the old stock "Canadian" students get resentful about the number of Asians in certain departments then tough luck to them and they need to get over it. I agree that young people should not be forced by overbearing parents to attend classes that are not suited to them. It is pointless studying a profession you do not have an aptitude for.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Meh, I think a lot of Caucasian males find University unappealing.

A lot of white guys are focusing on trade skills, construction, policing, firefighting and politics.

We like to work with our hands. The idea of working behind a desk after getting a degree does not sit well with me.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
There's plenty of overachieving kids with no social lives who 'ride their TAs for marks' who aren't Chinese. While it's true that education is important for Chinese and that our parents on the average care a lot, there's plenty of other people out there with parents who care too. I have friends from every ethnic group and religion who have parents like that.

From my university days (at UofT) I also know a ton of people from all races who had no lives and studied every day, and also knew a lot of Chinese people who partied.

Yes there are subtle cultural differences of course, but is that so wrong?

I think it's unfair to single out a certain population and the whole thing smacks of racism. Sort of like how they used to be scared of the Jews back in the 40s and 50s taking over all the schools and professions.

My favorite are all those random people they quoted in the article who were scared of going to UofT because it was 'too asian'. Perhaps the article should be about these people and why they are so scared of people not like themselves?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is it right or wrong ? - Hard to say, the best student should get in no matter of the race, gender, etc...

Is it true ? - Absolutely!

When I graduated from my CMA class for the region "Toronto North", there were 29 Asian out of a class of 32 students. Not that I complain about that, I was able to compete with my classmates anyway.

If a white find that it's hard to compete against Asian, the answer would be (as in anything in life) to try harder, not to give up or to settle for an easy option! :bash:

Anyway, once you're in workplace, you'll have to compete with Asian too for business or for top position so you better get used to it sooner than later.

·
Less is More
3,044 Posts
My mom also asks me where that 5% went.. Doesn't mean I'm Asian.

However I get these grades without losing my social life... I'd just like to grab my friend Naomi and get her really drunk - she needs it.
Haha same! I know some friends who just need a night out, honestly! I somehow managed to get by pretty casually in high school while maintaining honours. You need that social life! Of course, I'm in a school of design now...but that's beside the point, I chose here! :lol:

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
My favorite are all those random people they quoted in the article who were scared of going to UofT because it was 'too asian'. Perhaps the article should be about these people and why they are so scared of people not like themselves?
Good call. I think we've got the concept of racism so framed into a stereotypical box, that we don't even realize it when we see it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't see the point in university anyways.

Here's my good ol' motto "Ya don't NEEEDDD IT! Ya just WANTTTTT IT!"

I got a library, computer and a brain that's all I need to start my future corporation!

After all, Abraham didn't become a lawyer by sittin' on his ass in a university all day. NOPE! All he did was read books about Law that were thrown in dumpsters.

A great man, indeed.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
They're the largest non-white ethnic group in the country so of course they're going to have a noticeable presence.

I think more concerning would be the lack of aboriginals in post-secondary institutions.

Here's my good ol' motto "Ya don't NEEEDDD IT! Ya just WANTTTTT IT!"
Employers WANTTTTT IT too. :|

After all, Abraham didn't become a lawyer by sittin' on his ass in a university all day. NOPE! All he did was read books about Law that were thrown in dumpsters.
Back in the era when laws were barely changed and doing that was possible. Today, you have to re-learn tax code annually or you're fucked.

2010 ≠ 1850

There was an era when high school was only attended by the smartest of academic people. (They were called collegiate institutes.) Those who weren't as academically inclined went to a technical school. Today, everyone goes to high school. If you want a job, having at least some secondary education is de-facto mandatory. Universities are currently in the role that high schools were in a century ago. In the future, university will be required for almost everyone to get almost any job that isn't paying near or at minimum wage. That is simply the way things go. As we progress, we gain more knowledge, and as we gain more knowledge, you require even more knowledge to stand out.

We used to end our education at 14. Then 18. Now 22. Soon we'll be ending it at 26. Because the education received in the shorter period of time simply isn't sufficient for what society wants to accomplish today. Situations like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg are rare, and if you're expecting your life to turn out like theirs, you're being foolish. Both of them at least attempted post-secondary education before becoming wealthy.

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
I think more concerning would be the lack of aboriginals in post-secondary institutions
Many aboriginals just want to continue on with their traditional way of life. They do not see the virtue in western academics. And who are we (white, urban dwellers) to say that it's concerning? I'd we willing to bet they're the ones saying it's concerning that they are increasingly getting screwed over by a culture that is trying to make them convert into urban consumers like the majority of the country. Who says they want to be like us?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.