Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Macon, GA is the economic engine of Central Georgia and was
#11 of the Top 15 Logistic Cities in the Southeast and Inc. magazine recently identified Macon as one of the Top 50 Small Metro Areas in the US. Macon’s MSA has a population of over 390,000 in a 30 mile radius with a 22 county trade area, with a CSA population of more than 612,000 which provides a broad, strong market for local business and industry. Macon is accessible to three (3) interstate highways: I-75, I-475 and I-16, and is just 75 minutes from Atlanta

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/Dougtha1/IMG_0525.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Official US CENSUS figure for Macon MSA is 229,000+
For CSA is 381,000+

Not sure about "30-mile" radius or population for trade area (which is much larger than the official MSA or CSA areas)

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Good Job Macon!

All Macon needs to do now is clean downtown and get it bustling again.

Crime is going down, down, down!

I'm happy for my former home of Macon!

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Yerocal,

Can you give me a run-down of the projects going on in Downtown Macon?

Isn't there several buildings going up downtown? I've heard a 5 story apartment complex and others....

How about the new hotel across from the Centerplex and the new mall??

[Any reply is much appreciated!]

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Whatever. I'm trying to move there, but a certain University is being uncooperative.....
Ahh that sucks... I hope times will change for you and you'll get to go to Macon?

May I ask..
Which university are you talking about?

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
^ That's it. They keep me waiting and waiting. By the way, had my first Nu-Way hot dog the other day. It was excellent. I'm sure Teshadoh would be proud.

G-Man, duly noted. I decided to list every city I might be living at in the next four weeks, in which time I have to (1) find a place to live; (2) get Wachovia to lend me anywhere from $38,000 to $47,000; and, (3) find my fiance a job in one of said cities. It will be interesting.

103 Posts
We need to hear more things from Macon. I would be very interested to hear about anything going on out that way.

From what I know, Warner Robins has been doing a bit of development along the Highway 96 corridor. Now they just need to continue 4-laning it from I-16 to Fort Valley and we'll be alright. =) ...Or better yet, just construct the proposed I-14 from Augusta to Alexandria, LA.

As for Macon, I would love to see some taller buildings for it's downtown area but that photo from Yerocal was very nice. (I could probably say the same about Montgomery & Savannah as far as taller buildings are concerned)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Say no more. If it's the school I'm thinking of(Mercer) then rest assured that just the experience I've had with them was enough to sour my opinions of Macon. Likewise, I am no fan of Warner Robins for its bizarre culture down there(and I've lived in base towns before too, but there's just something very weird about that specific city and the ppl that work for that specific AFB).

That, and just in general Middle Georgia is not someplace I would want to live unless I had to. Frankly, I'd prefer Middle Alabama just because it seems like they have their stuff in order more.

·
Registered
626 Posts
^^ Well, of course, it IS Alabama :)

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
Say no more. If it's the school I'm thinking of(Mercer) then rest assured that just the experience I've had with them was enough to sour my opinions of Macon. Likewise, I am no fan of Warner Robins for its bizarre culture down there(and I've lived in base towns before too, but there's just something very weird about that specific city and the ppl that work for that specific AFB).

That, and just in general Middle Georgia is not someplace I would want to live unless I had to. Frankly, I'd prefer Middle Alabama just because it seems like they have their stuff in order more.
I hear you exactly and yes that is the law school. I drove two hours to meet with them for five minutes!! And they didn't even give me an answer. And the thing is they acted like it was no big deal that I just drove two hours for nothing. Or that I have two weeks to come up with $40,000.00. They were even like, "How was the drive down from Augusta?" I'm like, "Oh, I don't know lady, it's 2 hours of rebel flags, trailer parks, and old Cadillacs on 26 spinning rims everywhere!!! I wish I could do it every single day!!"

·
Registered
386 Posts
I hear you exactly and yes that is the law school. I drove two hours to meet with them for five minutes!! And they didn't even give me an answer. And the thing is they acted like it was no big deal that I just drove two hours for nothing. Or that I have two weeks to come up with $40,000.00. They were even like, "How was the drive down from Augusta?" I'm like, "Oh, I don't know lady, it's 2 hours of rebel flags, trailer parks, and old Cadillacs on 26 spinning rims everywhere!!! I wish I could do it every single day!!"
All I can say is that you're not alone. The engineering side of Mercer as well as their other departments have issues, lets just say. Keep in mind that even if you're employed by the school doesn't mean you'll be able to get any extra benefits like free classes or even a discount on tuition.

They seem to forget that they're only in Macon, GA and not someplace of more prominence.

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
All I can say is that you're not alone. The engineering side of Mercer as well as their other departments have issues, lets just say. Keep in mind that even if you're employed by the school doesn't mean you'll be able to get any extra benefits like free classes or even a discount on tuition.

They seem to forget that they're only in Macon, GA and not someplace of more prominence.
That really sucks, but at least I don't feel singled out, like I did a few weeks ago.

103 Posts

You think Central Alabama has their stuff in order compared to Middle Georgia?!
I'm not so sure about that. In my opinion they'd be about equal. They both have crazy uncontrolled sprawl in one direction. Montgomery is to the east and Macon is to the south (until you get past Forsyth, then Atlanta sprawl kinda takes over) On the other hand, Middle Georgia has Warner Robins which is a sort of "out of character" town. I mean, it doesn't even have a downtown!! Thats just retarded!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.