Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for you syd mel pissing competiton fans

we've seen how the Green Square\Victoria Park redevelopment but also the opening of the Ep-Chat line have delivered on removing not just abandoned factories (in the former case) but also on crap 1-2 level business park bullshit from the 1970s (when they should have known better).

Will this be possible at Fisho?

The area is replete with light commercial bullshit, more office than warehouse but that sort of thing. OUP, socalled "Citiport", some Holden hangers on.

If Fisho is to become the glowing centre of the universe with talls from sea to shining sea, the commercial imperatives will need to become stark for some existing owners and pull down their fully depreciated 70s shit and get started.

Being Melbourne, I'm less hopeful than Sydney where they would demolish their own grandmothers if they could build a tall building where she stood.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
I gather you are referring to Fishermans Bend, Melbourne, not Fyshwick in Canberra. Took me all the way to the last sentence before I was sure.
It has enormous potential and I hope it realises it fully.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Being Melbourne, I'm less hopeful than Sydney where they would demolish their own grandmothers if they could build a tall building where she stood.
This is not the 70s any more. Sydney introduced the countries first heritage laws in 1977 because of the public anger about the historic architecture that was lost. The law has been strengthened over the years and today it is very difficult to destroy historic buildings. Fortunately crap from the 70s isn't covered.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gather you are referring to Fishermans Bend, Melbourne, not Fyshwick in Canberra. Took me all the way to the last sentence before I was sure.
It has enormous potential and I hope it realises it fully.
why would i bother talking about canberra. insignficant place.

I'd like to see its potential but worry too many comfortable sme types in melbourne think its ok to sit on land that has shit 1970s light commercial building stock on it rather than realise value from it and put some talls up.

this is rare in Sydney. Merely having a giants leagues club, for example, Balmain or Cronulla, is no longer enough. You can have that and multistorey apartment buildings too. a council town hall, these days, is not enough, if Ryde is to be followed. Sydney is producing good height but in Melbourne I'm just not feeling the enthusiasm in the air for developing areas like Fisho.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not the 70s any more. Sydney introduced the countries first heritage laws in 1977 because of the public anger about the historic architecture that was lost. The law has been strengthened over the years and today it is very difficult to destroy historic buildings. Fortunately crap from the 70s isn't covered.
Agree, but I'm more concerned a less agressive business culture will see these blocks sat on rather than developed. South Yarra has been good, some good precedents there. But other areas of Melbourne really drag. Eg North\West Melbourne, took for ever to get the spencer st mail centre moving. Round Kensington/Stubbs Rd/Macaulay and so called "Arden" ie near the oval also seemed logical places to attack the 70s head on.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
Poor Canberra. It's just Fyshwick is the first Fisho sounding industrial area that came to mind.

Lucky you, noshow, you've missed all the nimby bullshit that has attended everyone action in relation to the development of Green Square & even now, after all these years, it continues every time a new project is mooted, announced, in council, etc. You would not believe the pure unadulterated dikheadedness out there in our midst.
Or maybe you would.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I've been sorely tempted to go to community consultation meetings with a raygun, vaporiser or some such.

·
Developer
7,734 Posts
The Victorian Historic Buildings Act was introduced in 1974. Not sure if any other states had earlier legislation.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Why the comparison between Macquarie Park & Fishermans Bend? This is comparing Apples with Oranges.

Macquarie Park is not even in the inner city for starters.
Precisely. Macquarie Park is probably more comparable to somewhere like the Monash precinct in Melbourne's case.

Alexandria (Green Square) there is a slight comparison to what Fishermans Bend's future will be, but its still not that similar. Alexandria is more like the western fringes of North Melbourne and South Kensington. There is really nothing in Sydney like Fishermans Bend.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Green Square and Macquarie park atleast have heavy rail running through them unlike Fisho which is no certainty to get a proper mode of transit connected to the wider network and CBD. A glorified tram line just aint gonna cut it.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Green Square and Macquarie park atleast have heavy rail running through them unlike Fisho which is no certainty to get a proper mode of transit connected to the wider network and CBD. A glorified tram line just aint gonna cut it.
Unfortunately Macquarie Park has some of the worst traffic in Sydney, because all these office parks have rather large car parks... Lane Cove Road has to be one of the most congested roads in Sydney.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
That and Epping Road combined.

As for transport, its quicker to take a bus to the city from Macquarie Park as opposed to Rail. I managed to get into the city in just twenty minutes by bus. It would be double that by rail.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Note the scale of Macquarie Park and what we are talking about here. There is 807,957sqm total office space, this is almost as much as North Sydney's 860,793 sqm and much more than Parramatta's 685,371sqm.
Macquarie Park also features the Sydney offices of Ford and Holden. The Australian headquarters of Canon, Microsoft, Nestle, Oracle, Philips, Sony, Warner Music, Johnson & Johnson, Xerox and AstraZeneca. And the head corporate office of Optus, who has a huge silicon valley style campus just off Epping Road.
This is a sigificant hub of international fortune 500 companies and is not just an office area out in the suburb, but a major centre of business.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Fabian -

Macquarie Park to Wynyard is 31 minutes. Agree slow but not as slow as you say.

Lets hope the cross harbour tunnel fixes that in 20 years time .... lol It will shave at least another 5-7 mins off making it very competitive.

When they built the link they decided to route via Chatswood instead of St Leonards / Lane Cove. Then Bob Carr caved into the greenies and tunnelled all the way from Chatswood to Ryde slowing it further.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Fabian -

Macquarie Park to Wynyard is 31 minutes. Agree slow but not as slow as you say.

Lets hope the cross harbour tunnel fixes that in 20 years time .... lol It will shave at least another 5-7 mins off making it very competitive.

When they built the link they decided to route via Chatswood instead of St Leonards / Lane Cove. Then Bob Carr caved into the greenies and tunnelled all the way from Chatswood to Ryde slowing it further.
It was to do with building a rail bridge over the Lane Cove River which the locals felt would wreck the national park. They had to send the tunnel deeper.

Also there have been problems with some trains using the tunnels as well and the gradients of the tunnel.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts