Floors: 15
Size: 8,300sqm
Use: Office and Ground Floor Showroom
Parking: 100 Spaces
Completion Date: June 2016​

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I think it's high time Lagos State made a law to prohibit commercial buildings/towers from having fences!!! And probably advice them (the towers) to infact use the groundfloors for small shops/retailers/restaurants etc. This will change the entire look of Lagos CBD areas. It will give nice streetviews, create wider walking spaces, and generally welcoming environment. All these high fences are just stupid to me :(. It maybe acceptable for residential buildings (those ones sef need to be more creative with their designs/aesthetics)....but NO NO NO for commercial buildings.
Btw, the render of the building is nice :cheers: !!!

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
15,956 Posts
^^As said many times on this forum they just provide a false sense of security. Where I live, many residential buildings have password/key/card locked entrances that only residents can enter through. To get in, you have to phone the resident from their home, and they let you into the building. In addition to this, there is a camera installed on home doors that can be turned off or on. With this you can see/speak with whoever is at your door from a monitor inside without ever opening the door.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
èđđeůx;123716768 said:
^^As said many times on this forum they just provide a false sense of security. Where I live, many residential buildings have password/key/card locked entrances that only residents can enter through. To get in, you have to phone the resident from their home, and they let you into the building. In addition to this, there is a camera installed on home doors that can be turned off or on. With this you can see/speak with whoever is at your door from a monitor inside without ever opening the door.
The fencing on Lagos commercial buildings are often less for security but more for property demarcation.

Wrt to residential buildings, the folks that fences are put up for will NOT come knocking - nor be deterred by a camera.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The fencing on Lagos commercial buildings are often less for security but more for property demarcation.

Wrt to residential buildings, the folks that fences are put up for will NOT come knocking - nor be deterred by a camera.
I beg to disagree @ the bolded. First a all, a demarcation doesn't have to be sooooo high with barb wires!!!! And then again, it's okay to build a short fence as demarcation on both sides and the behind of a building. But what are they demarcating in the front part? the government road?:eek:hno:

@the second part, so you think people who don't get deterred by complex security systems would be deterred by a common fence? or your ugly barb wire? wao! Looking at it from another perspective though; well, this is a country where people dont think out of the box/big. Where people like to see obstacles that are not really there. So maybe fences actually prevent the lazy robbers from robbing :coffee:.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I beg to disagree @ the bolded. First a all, a demarcation doesn't have to be sooooo high with barb wires!!!! And then again, it's okay to build a short fence as demarcation on both sides and the behind of a building. But what are they demarcating in the front part? the government road?:eek:hno:

@the second part, so you think people who don't get deterred by complex security systems would be deterred by a common fence? or your ugly barb wire? wao! Looking at it from another perspective though; well, this is a country where people dont think out of the box/big. Where people like to see obstacles that are not really there. So maybe fences actually prevent the lazy robbers from robbing :coffee:.
Fences, like so-called "complex security systems" (wow, cameras - who knew?! :lol:), effectively serve as a deterrent. Neither can stop really determined smart intruders.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Btw, MOST commercial complexes in Lagos (at least the newer ones) do NOT have high barbed-wire fences. But this is NOT the thread for it, so if you want to continue that line of discourse (I presume you have nothing else to contribute to the Madina project), feel free to take it to the General Discussion forum. Cheers. :cheers:

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
15,956 Posts

Are they in the countryside? Why would businesses need to attach six to ten foot walls around their buildings? This should be outlawed especially in pedestrian-friendly areas.

And the cameras are just an added security feature. If you actually took anything from my post, you'd know that I also said that to even enter the residential building, nevermind the homes inside of it, people have to be allowed in. Whether it be visitors, the pizza man, or family if you don't have a key/card you're not getting in. In many of my friend's apartment buildings, I can't even leave the general waiting area (usually where landlord's office is) to access the stairs/elevator. Some buildings take it a step further, and won't even let you into the general waiting area without being buzzed in by a resident. It varies by building but they all have this in some form for security.

When I am let in, and actually get to their floor, each apartment has built-in camera/speakerphone near the door bell. This way they can see if it's me, talk to me, etc without ever opening the door.

If you think a wall is safer than this, well sir you're delusional. Barbed wires can be cut, and walls can be climbed. Trust I've gone over many before when I lived in a complex. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
èđđeůx;123848658 said:
Are they in the countryside? Why would businesses need to attach six to ten foot walls around their buildings? This should be outlawed especially in pedestrian-friendly areas.

And the cameras are just an added security feature. If you actually took anything from my post, you'd know that I also said that to even enter the residential building, nevermind the homes inside of it, people have to be allowed in. Whether it be visitors, the pizza man, or family if you don't have a key/card you're not getting in. In many of my friend's apartment buildings, I can't even leave the general waiting area (usually where landlord's office is) to access the stairs/elevator. Some buildings take it a step further, and won't even let you into the general waiting area without being buzzed in by a resident. It varies by building but they all have this in some form for security.

When I am let in, and actually get to their floor, each apartment has built-in camera/speakerphone near the door bell. This way they can see if it's me, talk to me, etc without ever opening the door.

If you think a wall is safer than this, well sir you're delusional. Barbed wires can be cut, and walls can be climbed. Trust I've gone over many before when I lived in a complex. :laugh:
Just as cameras and key cards can be disabled. :lol:

I am all for outlawing high-walls around commercial buildings (heck, any walls at all), but as someone that actually LIVES in Lagos (and not merely an occasional visitor via Skyscraper City or other Internet sites) and own property, I can reaffirm that the walls of many commercial buildings (especially the newer ones - including without limitation fast food joints, malls, shopping "complexes", banks, etc.) are for demarcation rather than security. And if you live here, you would perhaps understand why walls are used to demarcate property (in fact, the FIRST thing folks here often do when the receive title to landed property is to promptly fence or wall it).

Regarding residential buildings, almost all of the newer more recent buildings in the more tony parts of town have a variety of electronic-based security features and devices - cameras, keycards, buzzers, etc. - in addition to walls! Developers actually design and develop property for the market within which they operate - and (for better or worse) many clients in Lagos will not even look at a residential building without high-walls. That's the REALITY we have to deal with here in Lagos (as opposed to SSC World). And as for the deterrence value that I previously alluded to, yes the so-called "lazy" intruder (of ILA's post) would rather skip the hassle of cutting barbwires and scaling walls if there is an un-walled property down the street!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
èđđeůx;123848658 said:
One more thing, there are hardly (if) any "pedestrian-friendly areas" on Lagos Island (outside of perhaps Bar Beach and arguably Isale-Eko areas), which is where almost all of the projects posted here are located. That's another REALITY that we are compelled to live with here in the real Lagos! But hopefully projects like Eko Atlantic will help to address some of that.

·
Registered
723 Posts
^^

We just wish that they'll put some thoughtful design on these fences. Plant some greens, flowers, trees, etc, etc. I'm sure you'll agree that, aesthetics should count for something. A good example is this............

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
^^

We just wish that they'll put some thoughtful design on these fences. Plant some greens, flowers, trees, etc, etc. I'm sure you'll agree that, aesthetics should count for something. A good example is this............
Better examples include the following. However, since all designs and plans have to be pre-approved by the state government, that's where the blame ultimately lies.

<

·
Registered
103 Posts
Better examples include the following. However, since all designs and plans have to be pre-approved by the state government, that's where the blame ultimately lies.

<
I'm urban planner and I can tell you that see through fence is the only approved fencing in Nigeria, but it is not enforced in all the states except Abuja and some part of Lagos. Even in Abuja and some part of Lagos where it is enforced, some people still build high fence while other find a way to bypass the see through fencing by planting flowers and shrubs tightly to cover up the see through.
In all, every naija just love his/her privacy irrespective of the cost to the environment and their pocket.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts