SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice pictures! It was a great day yesterday except for some mid-day cloudiness. I was around getting some photos, too... must have been a different time from you, though, or else I'd probably be in one of your shots!

·
Registered
778 Posts
That has got to be the best kept city iv ever seen.
Though the people in the pictures look a bit odd, grungy, dangly.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The really groovy threads don't come out on sundays, and most of us are sleeping-off (vowing never to drink again) saturday.

·
Hi
1,396 Posts
University Ave will be even more consistently "tall" after University Square is finished in only two years. And then right across the street will be tall after the Campus Master Plan puts new music and history/humanities buildings up.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Badgers77 said:
University Ave will be even more consistently "tall" after University Square is finished in only two years. And then right across the street will be tall after the Campus Master Plan puts new music and history/humanities buildings up.
Campus Master Plan (aka, Wisconsin taxpayers paying for almost all of Madison's construction). Sorry, had to take that jab. Anyway, some cool pictures...some good perspectives.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very nice pics, I really like Milwaukee...need to come up for a Cards/Brew Crew series soon!!

I do have one quick question for people who live in Milwaukee, or actually Wisconsin for that matter..no real better place to post but oh well :)

My sister was outside Milwaukee last week and had to ask for directions, and she said some lady at a gas station said "OK, what you are gonna do is go up the road a little bit and at the 'stop and go' take a right" - she said "What?" and the lady goes "The stop and go, make a right.." long story short, she was like what the hell is a stop and go??

Is it common in Wisconsin to call stoplights "stop and go's"?? I don't know if this has ever been brought up before, I'm really not trying to start shit at all, it just seems like a very interesting local culture aspect to me...

Anyway, Milwaukee is awesome :)

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
You do know that these photos are of Madison, not Milwaukee, right?

A lot of people in Wisko say "stop & go" to refer to traffic lights. I personally have never used this terminology, but I do hear it from time to time. I usually refer to traffic lights as "stop lights."

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
Very nice set of pics. This is the first time on this forum I've seen someone do justice to the State Capitol building and the Square. The Capitol is an awesome building.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wonder if the reference to "Stop and Go" wasn't necessarily regarding the lights at the intersection, but the convenience store/gas station of the same name that happened to be at that intersection.

My theory is based on the fact that I don't think I've ever heard intersection lights referred to that way before, and I've been here my whole life.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
madisonians-->
-i didnt expect this from madison, but i had alot of people asking for money around the capital. I dont know why? does this happen often...i feel bad but why give them money after all the news reports on how they make 30$ an hour. This one lady asked 7 dollars from me to go to minneapolis...im like "you know what! im heading to minneapolis right now, you can ride along with"...she says,"no, i cant, i have something to do before i go." or some lame excuse!!...
-so, i also got attacked with people and their camera's...for instance bravo channel's local affilaites basically forced me to dance for one of their diversity commercials..; quite an embarrassing situation...and also on state street a couple people had camera's out trying to get shots!
-okay, smoke weed on state street? wow, people on the side just lit up blunts and starting tokin' it up. is this also a common thing in madison!!?
-the rails....i saw two different older style commuter trains...one looked like a museum and the other just looked like they used it for moving around rail cars. do these trains run at all?? i would love to take a ride if they ever have event running times.
-and finally, nice airport...does NWA run a main line to madison? it appears that way ...i was quite impressed with the airport...it really reminded me of a minature mitchell terminal.

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
State Street and the Capitol Square are probably the most fertile ground for panhandling in the Midwest. Why? There's lots of rich white kids walking around who fork over the dough when asked/intimidated.

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
Also, I've seen people blaze up a sack of reefer right on Wisconsin Ave. in Downtown Milwaukee. It happens lots of places. Sometimes you just need a smoke.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't encounter panhandlers around the capitol or State Street very often but I will say that on Sunday there seemed to be more than usual. (Between them and the student groups asking for money for some cause or other, it was annoying!)

·
Registered
612 Posts
UWMilwaukeeJay said:
madisonians-->
-i didnt expect this from madison, but i had alot of people asking for money around the capital. I dont know why? does this happen often...i feel bad but why give them money after all the news reports on how they make 30$ an hour. This one lady asked 7 dollars from me to go to minneapolis...im like "you know what! im heading to minneapolis right now, you can ride along with"...she says,"no, i cant, i have something to do before i go." or some lame excuse!!...
They're all over State Street and the Square. I ignore them.

UWMilwaukeeJay said:
-okay, smoke weed on state street? wow, people on the side just lit up blunts and starting tokin' it up. is this also a common thing in madison!!?
Probably not THAT common. I can't say I've seen it that much. Except one year when I was down there during Potfest or whatever it was called.

UWMilwaukeeJay said:
-the rails....i saw two different older style commuter trains...one looked like a museum and the other just looked like they used it for moving around rail cars. do these trains run at all?? i would love to take a ride if they ever have event running times.
I'm not sure which two trains you're talking about, but there is one just off of W. Washington Ave. that has a shop in it and just sits there at an old train station that was a bar, and is now a bike shop.

UWMilwaukeeJay said:
-and finally, nice airport...does NWA run a main line to madison? it appears that way ...i was quite impressed with the airport...it really reminded me of a minature mitchell terminal.
NWA probably runs the most flights out of Madison of all the airlines here. I haven't actually seen the airport in ages though. I fly out of Milwaukee or Chicago 90% of the time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
UWMilwaukeeJay said:
madisonians-->
Did you go on 4/20 ? that would explain it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts